Joseph Parker
Nope, not far, far ahead. Just ahead. I can see Povetkin, Martin, Klit, Fury, AJ, Parker, Ortiz, beating him. I just think he'd be the favourite.
(01-22-2016, 12:32 PM)diehard Wrote: James, TT has faced quality opponents.  Is getting long on the tooth, though.  Almost KO'd Malik Scott, who is seen as one of the most fundamentally sound fighters around.  Can't take a shot to the temple though (Wilder, TT).

http://boxrec.com/boxer/21633

IF Joe can't beat TT he's nowhere near a shot at winning a title tbf. Its basically just dipping his feet in the deep end with no real threat. TT has skill and experience but he's way too faded to beat a true contender who should beat him 10/10, he really shouldn't be a threat.

Chisora beat Scott as well as out muscled him and and made him quit and the average joe thinks he lasts 2 rounds with AJ. AJ and his team admit they aren't quite ready for the big boys. What does that mean for Joe? They want him to be a mandatory by the end of the year?

Apart from the kd round which came outta nowhere Scott won 9-0 against TT and we already know Scott doesn't have the best punch resistance.
Parker beats TT. They never said they couldn't beat TT. But why risk facing him in his very first pro fight against a southpaw. Honestly, this is a no brainer. The Bergman fight is about fighting a southpaw, not about facing a competitive guy.
(01-22-2016, 01:11 PM)diehard Wrote: Parker beats TT.  They never said they couldn't beat TT.  But why risk facing him in his very first pro fight against a southpaw.  Honestly, this is a no brainer.  The Bergman fight is about fighting a southpaw, not about facing a competitive guy.

There is no point in facing a human punching bag, its not going to do him any good as a fighter. He should be fighting the Bergman's of this world in the gym not on PPV lol.
I think part of the plan is to go into training camp thinking southpaw, get experience sparring with southpaws (did you see his swollen face?), and then face a southpaw that will be competitive for a few rounds.  I think you're given Joseph too much credit for what he is capable of doing with southpaws, having never faced one before.  Also, he's working on his liver punch in addition to fighting a southpaw.  Stu covered all this ad infinitem when he came on here.  Here is a list of southpaws that are world ranked:  

http://boxrec.com/records

Is PPV the issue with you, James?  Me too.  It should be free.
Interesting that another rising prospect Oscar Rivas, fought Joey Abell in his 17th fight (who is ranked 9 southpaw places lower than Bergman)...and yet we are frustrated with Bergman as an opposition fighter.

Lets just get through January and look forward to an anticipated step up year.
(01-22-2016, 01:43 PM)diehard Wrote: I think part of the plan is to go into training camp thinking southpaw, get experience sparring with southpaws (did you see his swollen face?), and then face a southpaw that will be competitive for a few rounds.  I think you're given Joseph too much credit for what he is capable of doing with southpaws, having never faced one before.  Also, he's working on his liver punch in addition to fighting a southpaw.  Stu covered all this ad infinitem when he came on here.  Here is a list of southpaws that are world ranked:  

http://boxrec.com/records

Is PPV the issue with you, James?  Me too.  It should be free.

PPV is definitely part of the issue. The other factor is Team Parker seem to want to fight for a mandatory early next year, and I really hope he will be ready if this happens. Bergman is a very acceptable stay busy fight if you cant get a TT to fight you, but saying TT is a step too far makes me think they might be unrealistic about that mandatory fight or worst case scenario they get the fight and it really is a step too far because Joe doesn't have enough TT's on his record by that stage.

Sounds like his next fight will be in April then he could have 2-3 more fights this year. How many fights is Joe realistically away from beating a Pulev, Haye or Joshua etc?
More like a Martin, a Takam, or other similar fighter.

They will not aim too high - unless for a title.

-Kiwi
(01-22-2016, 03:31 PM)Kiwi Wrote: More like a Martin, a Takam, or other similar fighter.

They will not aim too high - unless for a title.

-Kiwi

You would expect a lot of good fighters have the same ambitions as Parker. If he wants to fight an easier eliminator he will have to wait in line. I don't think Martin will offer him a shot like Wilder did.
Yes - but there are very few ahead of Parker in that line.

AJ maybe. Takam. That is about it.

-Kiwi