Joseph Parker
Loving hearing from you kiwi, even if you're not back. Chisora II was easy for JP, especially after he looked ordinary and probably lost their first encounter. His best fights, given the opposition, were against Whyte and Ruiz.
Chisora walks onto punches like a champ... JP doesn't do well when he has take the lead, he prefers to counter. The fights we and others always mention as his poor fights
Hughie
Conjau
Fa
Massey
Are all fights JP had to push the pace v a negative fighter and he struggles in that role.
He does get criticized for it and that he should have learned how to adapt etc but he isn't naturally that type of boxer.
Maybe better matchmaking is needed???
JP did well with Whyte. Horrible against Chisora I. AJ took the lead, sort of. Was more of a taking turns fight. JJ was JP's type of fighter, and he looked bad.

I honestly think it depends on the fighter more than their style. But yeah, those guys above didn't make JP look good. A counter puncher is a funny term. To me, a true counter puncher is a boxer who slips or parries a punch that an opponent throws as they are throwing their own punches. Or they get there first once the opponent throws a punch. Shane Cameron's KO punch against Barrett is a good example. I don't think JP does that. It's more of: his opponent throws punches, and then JP throws punches after his opponent stops throwing their punches. As in, they take turns while JP is on the back foot.

My take on it anyway. When I was doing martial arts, countering was down to a fine science. The blocking and punching happened simultaneously. With boxers, I rarely see that happening.
All JP's early fights he actually looked much better. Right up to Takam level. What happened to his power and aggression?

Seems like he can't even put away Cruiserweights any more.
(01-31-2023, 10:53 AM)Kiwi Wrote: All JP's early fights he actually looked much better. Right up to Takam level. What happened to his power and aggression?

Seems like he can't even put away Cruiserweights any more.

He fought inferior opposition. I was there in his debut? when he fought that teacher from Hamilton.
The rounds before the headbutt v Whyte is the best I have seen him. Needs a rematch
I agree. JP beats Whyte now, and should have won if not for the illegal tactics and headbutt.

In answer to your question Kiwi, JP has rarely if ever stopped someone at an elite level. Chisora II maybe...Check out his KO's vs decisions:

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/613846
Yes - JP in the Whyte and Chisora II fights - probably the only impressive times. Too few, really.

A very frustrating guy to watch. He must drive his coaches crazy.

I certainly wish JP the best - and certainly it is not impossible for him to win a belt again.

But as for being an actual "supporter" - I can no longer play that role.

God bless and cheers to all.
I will support him - I believe he can step up when pushed.
I did think this Andy Lee partnership would pay dividends but not 100% on it atm. Feel Lee is just trying to emulate the Sugar Hill /Tyson Fury formular of more weight= more power etc
Worked on a 6ft9 freak but JP strengths are never going to be power- his hand speed was his asset. I really hope they re- think the direction . Winning on pts is OK people!! Ali did it loads - win is a win
If JP wins on points, against the elite like JJ, I have no problems with it. Against a cruiser or someone outside the rankings, BORING. Ali did it against top level competition.

Yep, Lee is all wrong for JP now in terms of his fight plans, bulking up, and not knowing how to fight a guy who counters. Honestly, Massey didn't run that much past the first two rounds, and rarely after 5. He moved a lot, but threw punches on the back foot.

No, JP has never been about power, but can he develop it with Lee without the extra weight and retain his hand speed? That is the question. Oh, and get rid of those bad habits of leading with his head and dropping his left.