Joseph Parker
I get why everybody is so into Joseph Parker on here, every kiwi should be proud of him but it has to go down as one of the worst heavyweight reigns so far. When is he going to fight a rated fighter? Or at least someone with a pulse? Comments like 'he's not ready for Dillan Whyte' bloody hell really? Everyone saying who has Joshua thought? Well Dillian Whyte for starters.... As champion you have to give the the best out there the chance to become 'world champion' not just who Duco can afford or who puts in a semi good offer (although with 6000 tickets and less than 9000 ppv's I'm not sure it could of been much). Comparing Parker and Joshua is laughable, why on earth should AJ even consider Parker, for the lowly WBO bauble? In a real ratings system Parker wouldnt even be top ten, you need to fight other contenders for that. Joshua needs to fight the likes of Pulev,Wilder and Povetkin. Parker can stick with the fat Mexican, the third best Romanian heavyweight, the fifth best English and the japanese cruiserweight guy.
Pretty ignorant comments, Craigy.

Parker HAD to fight Ruiz and nobody else for the title - then HAD to fight Fury (who was the WBO MANDATORY) next.

Fury pulled out at the last minute, Cojanu stepped in and that wasted half a year. Fury was STILL the WBO Mandatory.

That is why Parker HAD to fight Fury next. He did not want to. He HAD to.
Craigy isn't Bob Jones is he?
Cojanu was voluntary though, they could have chosen someone better but I suspect went for the easiest and cheapest option
craigy's point, if I may, is that Joe is ordinary against ordinary opposition so, speculation against the best is absurd.  And he's right.
Yes, Kiwi, Joe's path is what it is but as a Champ he is not exhibiting the authority of a Champ and hasn't since the patsy days.

Why can't Joe standout, utilize his speed and power, outclass and dominate his opposition?  Because he does not have a grasp of the basic boxing skillsets.  Joe has got to where he is today on raw ability and passion.  He has not mastered the craft on his path.  The KO appears to be the solution to everything.  You need skills to create KO opportunities.  You need skills to deliver any strategy.

A big strong man who can box will beat a bigger stronger man who can't.          

V.
(09-27-2017, 07:20 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I get why everybody is so into Joseph Parker on here, every kiwi should be proud of him but it has to go down as one of the worst heavyweight reigns so far. When is he going to fight a rated fighter? Or at least someone with a pulse? Comments like 'he's not ready for Dillan Whyte' bloody hell really? Everyone saying who has Joshua thought? Well Dillian Whyte for starters.... As champion you have to give the the best out there the chance to become 'world champion' not just who Duco can afford or who puts in a semi good offer (although with 6000 tickets and less than 9000 ppv's I'm not sure it could of been much). Comparing Parker and Joshua is laughable, why on earth should AJ even consider Parker, for the lowly WBO bauble? In a real ratings system Parker wouldnt even be top ten, you need to fight other contenders for that. Joshua needs to fight the likes of Pulev,Wilder and Povetkin. Parker can stick with the fat Mexican, the third best Romanian heavyweight, the fifth best English and the japanese cruiserweight guy.

A world champion not being ready, never heard that one before.
Yep - big improvements needed.

But criticizing his first two title opponents is not warranted.

There was really little choice.
That's why I was gutted after this fight, win or lose the decision. His basic skills are getting worse. And KB is either hyping him, or delusional. Solution: He needs to face average competition, like Kojimoto, Bellew (if he wins), and maybe Hammer. Then re-assess.
(09-27-2017, 10:50 AM)Msreef Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 10:54 PM)mippy Wrote: If AJ delivers just one of the uppercut that Fury got in, it would be fight over.

We don't know know how good Parker's chin is, so we don't know. Samoans usually have a pretty good, to excellent chin, only time will tell.

Honestly with a puncher like Joshua i don't think having a good chin would mean much, if he hits anyone clean it's gonna be trouble. 
(09-27-2017, 10:39 PM)diehard Wrote: That's why I was gutted after this fight, win or lose the decision.  His basic skills are getting worse.  And KB is either hyping him, or delusional.  Solution:  He needs to face average competition, like Kojimoto, Bellew (if he wins), and maybe Hammer.  Then re-assess.

He's a champion now though so he shouldn't get that luxury of facing average competition.  I'm fine with champions facing one tough fight then a softer fight then a tough fight, and so on.  But if you got a belt you need to defend it against the best every other fight in my opinion, not beating up average guys for 4, 5, 6 fights in a row.  If he doesn't, he's fair game for ridicule, just like Wilder has been.  

In terms of his skills I think there is raw potential to work with, but I don't think he will get to the very top.  But that's ok, not every fighter can.  I can't see him getting much more polished as a fighter technically.  He's been boxing since a young boy, so any bad habits will be very difficult to undo and he seems very reluctant to jump trainers.  Plus physically, he is going to be at an disadvantage in most fights.  He will be a top ten HW for the foreseeable future, just not number 1.  

Also, is he getting heavier?  I heard somewhere that the Fury fight was the heaviest he's been, is that true?