Joseph Parker
Parker v Django may 24 Duco events
Boxing: Joseph Parker, David Nyika to headline Kiwi double act at Melbourne in May

Kiwi boxers Joseph Parker and David Nyika have been announced as headliners for a professional card in Melbourne next month.

Former world heavyweight champion Parker, 31, has been pitted against Brisbane-based Samoan Faiga 'Django' Opelu, who knocked out previously unbeaten Kiwi Hemi Ahio last year, but has since failed to go the distance against Aussies Lucas Brown and Justis Huni.

Olympic bronze medallist Nyika, 27, will face Aussie cruiserweight Louis Marsters for the second time in his short pro career, after stopping his overmatched rival in the second round last July.

Parker camp unsatisfied, underwhelmed with Kiwi's comeback win
Parker is battling to re-establish himself in title contention, after suffering his first career knockout against Briton Joe Joyce last September and an underwhelming points win over Jack Massey in January.

Manager David Higgins insists the May 24 fight can catapult him back into meaningful fights.

"He's declared he wants to fight as often as possible," Higgins told NZ Herald. "To do that, you have to take opportunities when they come up.

"Sometimes, you can sit out of the ring waiting a year-and-a-half for the big fight, the big payday. Sometimes, it's better to take every fight, book four fights during the same period and get on a roll.

"That’s what Joseph plans to do."

Unbeaten Nyika is on an opposite trajectory in his division, but also hasn't fought since his knockout of fellow Kiwi Titi Motusaga last October.

"He had a good emphatic victory in the last outing and showed what he can do," Higgins told NZ Herald. "He’s got to do that again.

"It's a brutal sport. If you're trying to build a fanbase early in your career, the fans want a stoppage. A guy like Israel Adesanya has put together some spectacular knockouts and become a juggernaut.
https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/790906
I kinda like this move to OZ for a time for JP

Joyce, Zhang, Usyk, Wilder are all quite old - nearing 40

He can outlast them and make a comeback if he just cruises in Oz for a while - but wins well
Ah kiwi, you came back. I missed you! I agree, let them boyz fight it out til they get too old. And then clean up!
Parker back in action May 24

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker (31-3, 21 KOs) will clash with Faiga “Django” Opelu (15-3-2, 11 KOs) over ten rounds with the Commonwealth title up for grabs at the Margaret Court Arena, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on May 24 with WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury expected to be in attendance.

“The Commonwealth heavyweight title has been held by some of the biggest names in the sport and I’m looking forward to adding my name to that list,” Parker told Fox Sports. “He [Opelu] is a great fighter and deserves his shot, but there are levels to this game and I plan to show that. I’m not taking this lightly and I look forward to putting on a great performance for the fight fans. I believe I can win another world heavyweight title. It just takes time. I just need to keep winning. I can’t afford to lose.”

“I spoke to [Tyson Fury] last week and he said he is going to make the trip down. If he locks in a fight that might be different, but he’s said he is going to come down to support me, support the event and meet a lot of his fans in Australia.
Why is David Nykia fighting this guy again, I mean the guy has done nothing but add two losses since their last fight.

David is 27 years old, the same age as Jai Opeita, he doesn't need to be wrapped in this much cotton wool and is ready for a top 30 level opponent.

As for Parker, this should be an opportunity to get a KO win and look good. Should be.
...and he's lost to two guys with losing records:

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/1067522
And both guys had losing records:

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/1067522
Yeah with long amateur career why the need for water treading fights?