Parker vs Joyce Sept. 24th
For his health I think retirement for Parker may be best

Go well, guys

God bless to all.
Brave Joseph Parker stopped for first time in his career by the 'Juggernaut'
Patrick McKendry

Joseph Parker, blood streaming from his face, has been stopped for the first time in his professional career by Joe Joyce, the man known as the Juggernaut who lived up to his name in Manchester and then some.

In an entertaining fight in which both men scored freely, Englishman Joyce, who goes to 15-0 as a professional and becomes the WBO interim heavyweight champion and the mandatory challenger to Oleksandr Usyk’s world title, was immense.

He is known to have a big engine but his punch volume was near other-worldly for a heavyweight – he poured on the pressure from the second round and Kiwi Parker, while having his moments and showing true courage at times, was forever on the back foot.

It is the first time Parker has been stopped in 33 professional fights, and now that the door on his comeback to retaining his WBO world title appears closed, questions will be asked about whether he wants to continue in this most brutal of sports.

The 30-year-old will now return to Auckland to his family and he has some thinking to do over the Kiwi summer.

It must be said, though, that Parker had his moments throughout. He began brightly and probably won the first round but encountered real adversity in the seventh round when a cut caused by a left hook opened up near his right eye.

He scored with left hooks and big right hands, including with a massive uppercut in the ninth round, but he couldn’t dictate the pace of the fight because he never had a chance to.

Joyce took his space and time and landed almost at will which left Parker occasionally scoring with right hands but none of them appeared to have any effect on a man who appears have one of the strongest chins in the sport.

Parker, confident and with friend and training partner Tyson Fury in his dressing room beforehand, was hoping to display his improvements under new coach Andy Lee following an impressive victory over Derek Chisora in December.

But he appeared tired as early as the end of the second round, whereas his 37-year-old opponent was completely unflustered throughout.

"Joseph Parker, what a fighter, and what a great fight," Joyce said in the ring afterwards. "Praise to Joseph Parker, because he's improved. What a tough fight. I really enjoyed it, it was tough in there. I had to dig deep to get through the rounds.

"I hit him with everything - the kitchen sink, the handbag, everything... body shots, I tried it all. But he was still coming forward. I managed to drop him at the end but it was hard work."

The early rounds were relatively close but Joyce stepped up the pace in the sixth and dominated from there, taking the rest of the rounds apart from perhaps the ninth, a good one for Parker.

In the end Parker required a miracle to win it. He was well behind on points and occasionally staggering under the onslaught. He had never been hit this much in a fight in his career.

Even staying on his feet for the end of the 12th would have been an achievement given the punishment he received, but instead the finish came with almost two minutes remaining in the 11th, Joyce scoring with a big left hook, which Parker, tired and with blood streaming into his right eye, didn’t see.

The three judges had Joyce winning the fight at the stoppage; one by five rounds, one by three and the other by two.
I thought JJ's footwork and hand speed were as good as Parker's. Not exceptional, but certainly average. Not slow. His footwork is under-rated. He reminds me of a prime George Foreman.

Parker's bad habits is a continuation of his KB days. I was hoping Lee would have sorted that out.
Thanx for your posts kiwi. And your research.
Wilder may KO JJ but Wilder would not like to be forced to fight at that rate either
Usyk skills are best to nullify JJ
Im not 100% sure how Fury would fancy it
(09-25-2022, 01:31 PM)diehard Wrote: Thanx for your posts kiwi.  And your research.

(09-25-2022, 02:08 PM)bart Wrote: Wilder may KO JJ but Wilder would not like to be forced to fight at that rate either
Usyk skills are best to nullify JJ
Im not 100% sure how Fury would fancy it

Weirdly, I think Wilder has the best chance against JJ.  If anybody can crack that concrete open, it's Wilder.  Fury?  I think he'd have trouble with JJ.  Matches him in size, and Fury's punches would not effect him while JJ's aggression would upset Fury hugely.  Usyk?  As I've said, I think JJ's footwork is under-rated, and with his aggression he'd put Usyk in bad places--like against the ropes by bullying him.

Or, am I reading too much into JJ's skills when he fought a boxer who decided to gain weight un-necessarily, lacked movement, led with his head (thanks for the memories KB), and decided to trade with a power puncher?

Thanx for nothing Andy Lee.  I'm putting part of this loss on you.  Bad, bad training camp and Plan A.  No Plan B.
I think AL gambled with the weight = power tactic and it was wrong
It is clear now trying to match JJ for power and chin is not going to bring joy
Making him move constantly so he can't set himself is or should be plan A and B
Thats why I think Uysk has best chance to win by decision only
As JP says: "JJ has only one style." Well, if he has only one style, how do you counter it? By gaining weight and trying to out-power him? Well, you do need to hit him hard to offset his coming forward, but to back up into the ropes and corners from the 2nd round on?

I don't even think KB would recommend that.
And Parker speaks:

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/joseph-parker-discusses-the-loss-to-joe-joyce/251652
Just to be clear, there is no rematch because JJ won. Correct?