Kambosos/Haney
Bill Haney Not (Yet) Permitted To Travel To Australia; Yoel Judah To Lead Devin Haney's Corner For Kambosos Fight

[Image: bill-devin-haney_1652904802.jpg]
BY JAKE DONOVAN
Published Wed May 18, 2022, 04:13 PM EDT

Devin Haney hits the road for the biggest fight of his young career without his primary team in tow.

Travel plans for the WBC lightweight titlist will not include the company of his father and head trainer, Bill Haney who was not permitted to go through customs for their trip to Australia. The elder Haney was denied entry due to a prior conviction holding up his visa application, forcing Devin Haney to literally fly solo en route to Melbourne ahead of his June 5 undisputed lightweight championship clash with lineal/WBA/IBF/WBO champ George Kambosos Jr.

“I’m still at home in Vegas.  I wasn’t able to board the flight to go over [to Australia],” Bill Haney confirmed during an appearance on Trill Boxing Talk, a YouTube-based show on which he is a regular guest. “They said my visa hasn’t been approved. It hasn’t been denied. At this point in time, I wasn’t able to go through customs.

“I do want the world to know, as a dad I’ve prepared Devin for this moment and doing what he does best—showing up and showing out. I’ve been preparing him for the day when he will no longer have me. I don’t have my dad, I lost him at the same age Devin is now. It was devastating to lose him, he raised a solid one. I can only hope that all the talks me and Devin has had, that he’s able to remember and to be the man I know that he is.”

It was revealed during the same show that—short of the elder Haney being approved for a travel visa in the coming days—Haney (27-0, 15KOs) will be trained by Yoel Judah—the father and head trainer of retired former two-division and undisputed welterweight champion Zab Judah—for the upcoming four-belt, undisputed championship. The bout will air live on ESPN (June 4 evening in U.S., June 5 locally) from Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, regardless of who has to train Haney on fight night.

The customs issue stems from a 30-year-old conviction, when Bill Haney served time on a drug conviction in 1992. Australian visa rules state that felons who have served 12 months or more in prison are ineligible to qualify for an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) or eVisitor visa required for short-term visits. Bill Haney stated in advance his past criminal record in hopes of avoiding this scenario, though the issue remains unresolved as of Wednesday afternoon.

“That was the thing that puzzles me the most,” notes the elder Haney, who has trained and managed Devin throughout his boxing lifetime. “I was always up front in terms of where I come from, being from Oakland where I made some mistakes I don’t want Devin to make. I made some mistakes at 22, 23, where Devin is now and hopefully he don’t ever have to make those mistakes I’ve made. Those aren’t the paths he wants to go down. I have a felony on my record that goes back to 1992. A federal drug conviction that I served time on.

“I was open and honest to our partners at Top Rank. Lou DiBella with DiBella Entertainment (Kambosos’s promoter) knew about this as well. We were hoping to get the support from the Australian government pertaining to it. Hopefully that will happen in the next day or two, a couple of weeks before the fight that I will be able to go.”

The 23-year-old Haney attempts the fifth defense of the WBC title he has held since 2019. A win over Kambosos (20-0, 10KOs) will make him the youngest male fighter to claim undisputed championship status in the four-belt era.

He will be doing so in his opponent’s home country and without anyone who has regularly worked his corner during his current title reign. Ben Davison, a UK-based coach who has worked with Haney for his past several fights, is also currently sorting out visa issues due to completely unrelated matters that currently restrict his ability to travel. 

Kambosos attempts the first defense of his lineal championship and unified title reign following a split decision win over then-unbeaten champ Teofimo Lopez Jr. (16-1, 12KOs) last November 27 in New York City. The unbeaten Australian—who turns 29 on June 14—aimed for a homecoming fight for his first title defense, having fought on the road for his past seven fights upon transitioning from prospect to contender and eventually to champion.

Original plans called for Kambosos to face former three-division titlist Vasiliy Lomachenko (16-2, 11KOs). The fight was never formally announced, with Lomachenko having to bow out once Martial Law in his native Ukraine required him to join his nation’s military force to serve in defense of his homeland against Russia in the ongoing war.

Haney was eager all along to face Kambosos for all the marbles. The Bay Area-bred fighter—who now lives and trains in Las Vegas—called for the fight immediately after his most recent title defense when he outpointed Joseph ‘JoJo’ Diaz last December 4 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in his adopted hometown.

The fight made its way back around, though offered in a take-or-leave-it scenario which also called for Haney to commit to a multi-fight co-promotional deal with DiBella Entertainment and Top Rank. Part of the deal also leaves Haney hamstrung to a one-way rematch clause in the event he beats Kambosos, who would have the right to call for a second fight to also take place in Australia.

For now, the only concern is for the younger Haney to have as close to a level playing field as the situation will allow.

“They weren’t willing to give up anything,” noted Bill Haney. “It’s a one-way rematch clause and they want it in Australia. Devin doesn’t have a rematch in the contract. With this, me not being able to go over, it changes the dynamic of what we agreed to. But we are men of our word. We have this fight right now. The most important thing is to get through this fight right now, that we have in front of us. Get through that with him and then speak to the government.

“Hopefully in the next couple of days or even during the rematch I will be allowed to be let over. They have a character committee or something like that, the Australian government that they overlook people on the fence, that maybe they can accept in. They have a character committee meeting on it. I’m as optimistic about the fight happening when they said it wasn’t happening. I’m just as optimistic about being allowed over there. In all actuality, we have to prepare for me not being there.”
David Nyika's opponent confirmed for big night in Melbourne
Duncan Johnstone

New Zealand boxer David Nyika has a grand opportunity to increase his professional profile in Melbourne.
New Zealand cruiserweight boxer David Nyika has had his opponent confirmed for his big night in Melbourne.

Nyika will fight young Australian Karim Maatalla on the undercard of Aussie George Kambosos’s world lightweight unification fight against American Devin Haney in Melbourne on June 5.

Kiwi heavyweights Junior Fa and Hemi Ahio also feature in what will be a huge occasion for New Zealand professional boxing.

Outstanding amateur Nyika is 2-0 as a professional and in need of some rounds after beating his first two opponents with first round victories.

He has an unpredictable opponent in Maatalla who is also early in his professional career.

Melbourne-based Maatalla suffered a first round TKO defeat on debut in March last year.

But he showed he has some bang of his own to rebound with two first round knockout victories, the latest of those coming in March in Melbourne.

Nyika is eager to showcase the progress he has made since joining New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker in Britain last year, training under Andy Lee and alongside WBC champion Tyson Fury.

Kiwi duo Joseph Parker and David Nyika are put through their paces by trainer Andy Lee at Tyson Fury's Morecambe gym.
Nyika, an Olympic bronze medallist at Tokyo last year, has now been training in Queensland under noted Australian coach Noel Thornberry who guided former heavyweight world title challenger Alex Leapai.

The massive Melbourne promotion at a sold out Marvel Stadium has proved irresistible to Nyika despite the risks as he targets a third gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham in late July.

Fa and Ahio are set for major exposure in Melbourne as they get fights on the international broadcast section of the promotion that will be beamed live into the United States on ESPN.

Fa fights rugged Australian veteran Lucas Browne and unbeaten Ahio takes on American Joe Jones.
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/kambosos-3-times-daily-for-haney-fight-is-he-overtraining/222550
Haney: This Is The Same George I've Always Seen; He's Putting On An Act, A Facade
BY JAKE DONOVAN
Published Tue May 31, 2022, 03:20 AM EDT

The trash talk isn’t getting to Devin Haney more so than what he believes is a fake persona put on by his divisional rival.

Plenty of words have been exchanged between the unbeaten WBC lightweight titlist and Sydney’s George Kambosos Jr. (20-0, 10KOs)—the reigning lineal/WBA/IBF/WBO champ—ahead of their undisputed lightweight championship this Sunday (local time) at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia.

Las Vegas’ Haney has fielded a litany of insults hurled by his foe, including outrageous claims of his being “an informant, a rat” while on stage for Monday’s fight week kickoff press conference. The comments were shrugged off by the 23-year-old American, who—in his mind—is still waiting for the real Kambosos to surface.

“This is the same George that I’ve always seen. He’s nothing but an actor,” Haney insisted when asked on stage of his thoughts on the undefeated Aussie. “He’s putting on an act. He’s putting on a facade.”

“Just like I acted with Lopez,” Kambosos immediately replied, talking over Haney as has been the case whenever the two have been in the same setting.

Haney (27-0, 15KOs) has endured far more obstacles than most fighters in his position would accept to pursue greatness. The ESPN televised main event (Saturday, 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT/Sunday, 11:00 a.m. AEST) marks the fifth title defense for Haney, who had to commit to a multi-fight co-promotional pact with DiBella Entertainment (Kambosos’ promoter) and Top Rank to land the fight.

The biggest moment of his career to date without anyone from the training team who has manned the corner for his past several fights. Bill Haney—Haney’s father—and Ben Davison were unable to travel due to visa issues for vastly different reasons. Former IBF lightweight titlist and past Kambosos foe Mickey Bey was not part of this training camp, in part due to his own planned comeback fight versus Tevin Farmer which was since postponed.

Still, Haney has looked past everything standing in the way of his become undisputed champion, tuning out all the noise in the process and focusing simply on winning this weekend.

“At the end of the day, I take nothing away from him,” Haney said of Kambosos. “I have respect for him and I look forward to putting on a show for the fans.”
https://fightnews.com/kambosos-haney-opening-press-conference/132962#more-132962
The Colonel: Kambosos has a puncher’s chance

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Hall of Fame broadcaster Colonel Bob Sheridan spoke to Fightnews.com® about IBF, WBA, WBO and WBC Franchise lightweight champion George “Ferocious” Kambosos defending against WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney on Sunday June 5 (Saturday June 4 in the USA) at the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia, televised on ESPN and Sky, television network with an expected live gate of over 40,000 fans in attendance

“George Kambosos is the best fighter coming out of Australia in a long time. Haney is a great fighter and favored in their fight but I give Kambosos a puncher’s chance of winning.

“Haney moves extremely well, he is tall, he is quick and he is a very good fighter. Kambosos has the advantage of fighting at home in Australia. Haney has a lot to adjust to. There are a lot of distractions when a foreign fighter comes to Australia.

“On top of it being a prizefight, it is a trip of a lifetime for an American fighter to come to Australia. Haney’s trainer for this fight is Yoel Judah and he is a very, very good trainer but once all the work is done – it’s between the two fighters. That’s the great thing about boxing.”
Not much noise out of the Fa camp.  The Oceanic heavyweight title is at stake, which could get Jr back in the top 15, especially in the WBO, if he wins.

Can't believe Hemi Ahio is facing this guy.  Quite a mis-match, although he did go the distance against Huni, and has never been stopped.  https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/823000
https://fightnews.com/kambosos-haney-sharp-in-workouts/133070
Ahio needs a step up fight asap
Tend to think he should be at cruiser or bridger
Fa as well - win well v Browne then move up- either via US or UK but do it before you miss the bus
Both Jr and Hemi are over 30 and pissing their careers away.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/boxing-news-2022-lucas-browne-vs-junior-fa-illegal-strikes-by-paul-gallen-in-heavyweight-fight-george-kambosos-vs-devin-haney-undercard/news-story/8ef60e8799189da917bda95cb3221147