Charles Martin vs. Anthony Joshua- IBF World Championship Title, O2 Arena, April 9th
(04-10-2016, 11:21 PM)Infern0 Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 09:23 PM)bart Wrote: A firm investment by Hearn as now AJ is seen as a champ in UK all his fights even voluntary defences against journeyman like Chisora will bring crowds and ppv $$ as the poms latch on to their hero as they do. It will be a great ride till he loses until they can pretty much print their own money

And we don't?

I expect better than tvnz level nationalism from this forum.

If Joe had got to martin first and won tonight there would be fireworks from the sky tower and hakas galore

Lol very true.
(04-10-2016, 10:58 PM)shamrock Wrote: JP lacks the character to compete in the top of the alphabets, somewhere, he lacks confidence in a huge scale and is robotised by Kevin Barry. I don't see him ever beating Joshua because of it.

Will a very good performance against Takam change your mind? 
(04-10-2016, 11:42 PM)NakiFan Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 10:58 PM)shamrock Wrote: JP lacks the character to compete in the top of the alphabets, somewhere, he lacks confidence in a huge scale and is robotised by Kevin Barry. I don't see him ever beating Joshua because of it.

Will a very good performance against Takam change your mind? 

i expect a good performance against Takam, he's tailor made imo

Joshua is a different proposition entirely.
Looking at the IBF rankings and who is available, Joshua's first defence should be against Stiverne. Not that he really deserves another title shot having not done much lately but there's nobody else free and credible.
David Haye says he can beat AJ:

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/david-haye-anthony-joshua/54563#more-54563
Haye should be avoided I think. I doubt AJs jab as being as good as Klitschkos and tie up etc...Haye could get inside and be a pain in the ass to AJ at this point I think. He doesnt have to fight Haye so why should he risk his 0.
I agree Sham. Beautiful timing shot by AJ on Martin. But he needs to quit lunging with his right hand as he goes after an elusive fighter, like he did with Martin in the first round. Martin's not elusive, but Parker and Haye would be, and would counter AJ. Be interesting to see who he fights next if he steps it up. Martin was a step down from Whyte.
Die, you are right about AJ lunging or leaning forward when he throws his right...but I might expect him to do better against Haye than I think Parker would, why, because AJ obviously has real destabilizing punch power and an authorities mindset, that on its own can cause reluctance in the opposition.
Joes mindset is controlled by his corner which is the difference to me.
(04-11-2016, 03:16 PM)shamrock Wrote: Joes mindset is controlled by his corner which is the difference to me.

I thought this was a real positive early on in Joes career, but yes, as time goes on he needs to be able to react quickly on his own without having to tie up and look to the corner. 

I still think it's not a huge issue, unless he is getting mixed messages from the corner. Barry (on the footage I've seen) only picks one or two things, and it's more often than not, telling JP to lead in with a double jab, setting up his right. Basic stuff, but if it's basic, it's not going to muddle up the brain of a fighter high on adrenaline. 

During the fight, Barry tends to only tell Parker to slow down at times, and backs up this in the corner breaks letting him know what to setup with. 

Apart from all that, I'm sure we will find out what they have been working on come May, and I'm sure you can't wait either sham.