[Image: munguiaballardweighin-1.jpg?resize=600%2C327&ssl=1]
Jaime Munguia 159 vs. D’Mitrius Ballard 159.5
(WBO intercontinental title)
Diego Torres 140 vs. Jonathan Escobedo 140
Rafael Espinoza 125 vs. Alie Laurel 126
Venue: Plaza Monumental de Playas, Tijuana, Mexico
Promoter: Golden Boy
TV: DAZN
This fight starts at 3PM Sunday, NZ time.
Results from Tijuana

By Miguel Maravilla at ringside

Super lightweight Diego “Azabache” Torres (14-0, 13 KOs) from Zapopan, Mexico, pulled off a unanimous decision over Jonathan “Perita” Escobedo Martinez (8-3-1, 2 KOs). Torres had his hands full in going the distance for the first time in his career. He used his height and reach in the early rounds, boxing effectively as he kept Martinez at a distance. Martinez showed his scrappiness in the third round as he connected and stopped Torres’s momentum. The undefeated prospect Torres showed his superior skill the following round connecting with precise combinations as Martinez’s face began to swell up. Despite getting tagged Martinez kept pressing and his moment in the fifth, backing up Torres.

Halfway through in the sixth, Martinez kept coming as Torres boxed from a distance popping the jab, Martinez appeared to score a knockdown, but the referee ruled it a slip. The momentum appeared in Martinez’s favor as the pressure continued as he stayed on top of Torres. Late in the fight in the eighth, Martinez pressured and attacked as Torres countered but it was Martinez making the prospect fight. A point was deducted from Torres in the ninth for spitting out his mouthpiece as he spit out the mouthpiece numerous times throughout the fight. Martinez kept attacking in the final round as Torres fighting off his backfoot behind the jab, the two finished on their feet trading away.

In the end the judges scored the bout 98-91, 97-92, and 97-92 in favor of Diego Torres.

Opening the DAZN broadcast, Guadalajara’s undefeated featherweight Rafael “El Divino” Espinoza (18-0, 15 KOs) made quick work of Alie “Demolition Man” Laurel (18-7-1, 11 KOs) of Manila, Philippines. Espinoza scored two knockdowns in the opening round as the bout was stopped at 1:37 of the first.

Featherweight Cristian Olivo (19-0-1, KO’s ) of Hermosillo, Sonora won a unanimous decision over Miguel Mateos (12-5, 7 KO’s) of Guadalajara, Mexico. Olivo boxed well connecting with solid punches as Mateos showed aggression. In the third round, Olivo began to land heavily, snapping Mateos head. It was Olivo that dominated and boxed well on his way to a decision win.

Super welterweight Jorge “Chino” Garcia (23-3, 19 KOs) of Los Mochis, Mexico, scored a third-round knockout over Jesus “Dengue” Nunez Rodriguez (19-9-2, 13 KOs) of Sinaloa, Mexico. A flurry by Garcia sent Rodriguez to the canvas as the referee reached a ten count at 1:09 of the third round.

The ladies were in action as Monterrey’s Arely “Ametralladora” Mucino (31-3-2, 11 KOs) scored a second-round knockout over Marisol Sanchez (12-10, 5 KOs) of Chiapas, Mexico, in a flyweight bout.
Munguia stops Ballard in three
By Miguel Maravilla at ringside

Undefeated middleweight contender and former junior middleweight world champion Jaime Munguía (39-0, 31 KOs) scored an impressive third round TKO against previously unbeaten D’Mitrius “Big Meech” Ballard (21-1-1, 13 KOs) on Saturday night in the iconic Bullring by the Sea in Tijuana, BCN, Mexico.

Munguia and Ballard exchanged jabs in the opening round. In the second, Munguia landed crisp combinations, while Ballard let his hands go. Attacking in the third round, Munguia backed Ballard to the ropes, shortly after a left hook staggered Ballard, Munguia followed up dropping Ballard. Munguia continued his attack as the referee stopped the fight at 1:47.
Munguia says Morales’ advice paid off

Unbeaten middleweight Jaime Munguia and D’Mitrius “Big Meech” Ballard commented on their fight on Saturday night in Tijuana won by Munguia via third round stoppage.

Jaime Munguia: “It was a dream of mine to fight here in from of the people that saw me grow up and develop as a fighter. We came well prepared for this fight and my performance today proved it. I knew that I was going to be the one to apply pressure and I went in there and did my job. D’Mitrius did have some power. That surprised me, but after the second round, Erik Morales advised me to apply more pressure, throw more combinations. It paid off, I dropped him with a good liver shot and decided to just go for it and ended the fight.”

D’Mitrius Ballard: “I felt I prepared well for Munguia today, but his power surprised me. I couldn’t find my rhythm and apply my jab. Now we have to go back to the gym, keep working, and figure out what comes next.”