Fury/Whyte
Frank Warren Breaks Down Tyson Fury vs. Dillian Whyte Card

BY FRANK WARREN
Published Tue Apr 19, 2022, 11:26 AM EDT
FIGHT WEEK IS now upon us and the Fury festivities are about to begin.

As Queensberry’s eminent Master of Ceremonies Thomas Trieber likes to say, ‘The time has arrived’, and so it has. The WBC Heavyweight Championship of the World blockbuster between the champion Tyson Fury and his London rival – and mandatory challenger – Dillian Whyte.

The status of Lineal champion is also on the line, along with the coveted Ring Magazine heavyweight belt. The famous publication have reminded us all that this is the first time the belt has been defended on UK soil since 1966 when Muhammad Ali defeated Brian London via a third round KO, shortly after Wembley staged England’s World Cup triumph.

Words rather than punches will be traded for the first time on Wednesday when Fury and Whyte come together for the official press conference. The champion won’t have the stage to himself this time because Whyte has now joined the party and is never one to be lost for words.

On Tuesday the fighters will gather at Wembley BoxPark to be put through their paces at a media workout as the fight week build-up begins in earnest.

This is quite simply the biggest fight in boxing and the eyes of the world will be on Wembley Stadium for a domestic dust-up that will dominate the news agenda this weekend.

Fittingly, for a battle between two proud Englishmen, the fight falls on St George’s Day and the nation will be transfixed as we find out who will be St George and who will be the Dragon.

Fury is making what will be his second defence of his WBC crown on the night, having seized the belt from former champion Deontay Wilder in the second of the trilogy sequence. He previously held the WBA, WBO and IBF titles following his outfoxing of longstanding champion Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015.

Whyte is the governing body’s Interim champion, having won the belt with victory over Oscar Rivas back in July 2019 and then winning back from Alexander Povetkin following a shock reverse against the Russian that delayed his full championship charge.

So much is at stake, not least pride, when Fury and Whyte take a long walk to the ring on Saturday. Then there is what comes next for the winner. If Whyte prevails, after years of knocking on the door, the Heavyweight Kingdom will be his.

For Fury, who has talked of retirement, there is the prospect of taking on the winner of the forthcoming Oleksandr Usyk-Anthony Joshua rematch for every prize in the division.

It would provide confirmation, if any were needed, of his status as the undisputed No.1 heavyweight in the world. Would this be enough to head off the pipe and slippers? We hope so.

Perhaps performing in front of 94,000 fans and the adulation that goes with it will leave him wanting more of the same.

Fury v Whyte is not the only show in town for the fans who take their seats early or tune in to BT Sport Box Office from 6pm.

Anthony Cacace is considered by many as the premier super featherweight operating in the UK. The Belfast man has endured a stop-start career to date, with this being mostly due to domestic contenders taking up other options.

As he pointed out himself, his rivals all talked about wanting to win the British title before he won it himself and now there is silence on the subject.

So Cacace is heading along the route to world honours with a shot at the vacant WBO International title against Jonathan Romero, a former IBF world champion with a formidable record of 34-1.

Taking ownership of this belt will put the winner right in the frame for a tilt at full world title honours.

The prestigious WBC Silver title is on the line for another explosive scrap between super featherweights Isaac Lowe and Nick Ball.

These two only know one way and that is to fight and provide entertainment value.

The more experienced Lowe, 28, has been on the cusp of world title action for some time and suffered a setback last time out in a final eliminator for a shot at the WBC title. He is jumping right back into the fire by taking on the unbeaten Ball, 25, who is desperate to show the world what he is all about.

Ball, from Liverpool, has also been put forward to challenge for the vacant British title and is known to be a ferocious operator.

Tommy Fury, brother of Tyson, makes it a real family affair tonight by having his eighth professional fight on the bill at light heavyweight, where he takes on the 10-1 Daniel Bocianski. It is a step up fight for Fury who intends to show people that his boxing is his career of choice and his reality TV days are behind him.

Heavyweight Big D, Ladbroke Grove banger David Adeleye will be looking to show why he could be a future face of boxing’s marquee division. Adeleye is 8-0 having turned professional with Frank Warren at the end of 2019.

Two of the finest prospects in British boxing also feature on the card. At light heavyweight, Karol Itauma, just 20, is an eight-time National amateur champion and 2018 Olympic Youth gold medallist.

The Slovakian-born elite prospect beat world and European youth champion Ruslan Kolesnikov to claim the gold in Argentina at the 2018 Games, avenging a defeat in his first international tournament against the Russian.

He made his professional debut in December 2020 and has four KOs from his six wins.

Royston Barney-Smith is a two-time European championship gold medallist, who turned 18 on January 4 and turned professional with Queensberry.

He enjoyed a glittering stint in the amateur code of the sport, with 50 fights under his belt bringing about 45 wins. The product of Pinewood Starr represented England at four international championships and sported the colours of his country on 37 occasions, winning 36.

A right-handed southpaw, Barney-Smith won gold at both the 2017 and 2018 Europeans, also collecting bronze in 2019. His gold medal exploits limited his participation in National championships, where he has two successes to his name.

Irish Tokyo Olympian Kurt Walker completes the card. The 27-year-old just missed out on a medal but his exploits caught the eye of Top Rank, who signed up the man from Lisburn in Northern Ireland who won gold medals at the 2018 EU Championships and 2019 European Games, silver at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and bronze at the 2017 European Championships.
Watched the press conference all respectful, then the face off Big Knob John Fury tried to get some attention for himself and sell his hard man image... Dean Whyte would demolish the fool
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/128414254/tyson-fury-promises-to-fight-joseph-parker-if-dillian-whyte-pulls-out
Joseph Parker agrees to fight Tyson Fury if Whyte bout falls through
By Patrick McKendry, Digital Sport Reporter

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury and his friend and occasional sparring partner Joseph Parker have agreed on a deal in which the New Zealander will step into the ring to fight Fury should Dillian Whyte pull out of Sunday’s title fight at Wembley Stadium.

Fury, who has been training alongside Parker at his Morecambe home, has always said he would never fight his friend, but he revealed after Thursday morning’s press conference in London promoting the Whyte showdown that Parker would replace the unpredictable Whyte if required.

Fury told IFL TV: “We’ve said, ‘It’s not personal, strictly business’. If this fight happens we’ve shook hands and agreed, we're gonna throw down.”

Parker’s manager David Higgins confirmed the agreement with 1News on Thursday morning.

Parker, the former WBO world heavyweight champion who lost controversially to Whyte in London in 2018, has been based in England for more than six months and has become increasingly close to Fury, the undefeated WBC world champion who shocked the boxing world several times during his trilogy series victory over former champion Deontay Wilder in the United States.

They have said they treat each other like brothers; a relationship which became stronger after Parker beat Fury’s cousin Hughie in Manchester in 2017.

A big part of Fury’s previous reluctance to fight Parker may have been the way in which he attempts to mentally destroy his opponents before getting in the ring, quite apart from what damage the 2.06m “Gypsy King” can inflict with his fists.

Fury, who has fought back from mental health problems since his breakthrough victory against Wladimir Klitschko in 2015, has become a master of psychological warfare, although his press conference with his English rival Whyte on Thursday was relatively benign.

Whyte, who hasn’t shown up for previous media commitments to promote this fight, which will take place in front of more than 94,000 people at the home of English football, is unlikely to be a no-show for the bout but the contingency plan highlights the magnitude of the occasion. The weigh-in on Saturday morning is the only remaining set piece ahead of the blockbuster clash.

British record

The crowd number at Wembley will create a British boxing record, but Parker fought, and lost to, Anthony Joshua in front of more than 80,000 people at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium in 2018.

Parker is looking for more fight opportunities in England and the USA since comprehensively beating Derek Chisora in Manchester in December in what was a vastly improved performance under new coach Andy Lee, Fury’s cousin.

Lee will be in Fury’s corner on Sunday, raising questions about his loyalties should a fight between Fury and Parker eventuate.

"I know we're close but I don't know why he won't fight me," Parker told an interviewer about Fury’s mindset in 2020. "He has just mentioned it many times that it's a fight he just doesn't want to have. And he wants to fight everyone else expect me. So, I'm not quite sure if I'll ever get the chance to fight him."

"He just says 'there's no point in fighting Joseph. I don't want to fight him. I'll never fight him'. And we just leave it like that."

Fury, 33, doubled down on his statement that he will retire after the Whyte fight despite the prospect of many lucrative bouts ahead, including another all-English showdown with Joshua.

"I'm happy to go back to Morecambe and be left alone,” he said on Thursday morning. “I'm gonna delete my Instagram, I'm getting away from being a 'star'. I want to be left alone to live my normal little life."
Sorry bart, didn't see that you had already post this. My bad.

Looks like a big f##k you to Whyte if he doesn't show up. He'll show up.
Fury-Whyte presser quotes

The drama surrounding whether Dillian Whyte would show up for Wednesday’s press conference was much ado about nothing. Whyte arrived on time, and he and WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury exchanged more pleasantries than trash talk three days out from their PPV showdown at Wembley Stadium.

Tyson Fury

“We’ve had a great preparation. There are never any complaints from me. We always do what we can do in training camps and do the best that we can do on the night. I’m sure Dillian Whyte’s had a great training camp as well. He’s a good fighting man. The fans are in for a real treat. I know Dillian. I know him personally, and he knows me. And we’re going to rock n’ roll on fight night. We’re ready to throw down and treat us all to a hell of a barnstorm.”

“It’s been an amazing journey. From where I started all those years ago to the ups and downs and being away from boxing and being fat as f**k, 28 stone. To coming back and being mentally out, a druggie and an alcoholic—all of the rest of the stuff—I’m not ashamed of it. It’s a part of who I am. To coming back and getting back to the top of the world and having three big fights with Deontay Wilder over there in the U.S., and now being back in England after all these years, four years away, and now I’m fighting my old pal Dillian Whyte back at home for all the glory and all the belts. Who would have thought it? We’re looking forward to an awesome, memorable night. This will break all records.”

“Dillian Whyte is a good fighter. He is a good, strong, solid man. He’s big. He’s strong. He’s tough. He’s game. He’s got good power. He’s knocked out a lot of men. He’s had a good learning career as well. He’s got a lot of experience in the fight game. He’s definitely a man that needs a lot of respect. And that’s why I’ve given all this training camp we’ve had. I’ve had everything I can possibly do to train for this. I haven’t left any stones unturned. I’ve trained as hard for Dillian as I have for Wilder or Klitschko

Dillian Whyte

“It means everything to me to be fighting in my home country, and especially because it’s for the world title at Wembley. It’s not too far from where I’m from. It means everything. It’s massive. It’s a moment I’ve been waiting for. It’s a big fight. Like Tyson said, we didn’t expect to be here. But I’m here, but I’ve taken risks time and time again. I’ve had a couple slipups along the way, but I’m here and I’m ready to go. You won’t hear any bullsh*t from me. I’m ready to go.”

On Not Showing Up to Promotional Events

“There was no strategy. There are two sides to his story. You only hear one side of the story because one side says a lot of things. Because I didn’t say anything, everyone was saying ‘you’re scared’ and ‘you’re hiding.’ I ain’t scared of sh*t. I ain’t hiding from sh*t. Stuff needed to get done. Obviously, the fight was signed. But there were other things behind the scenes that needed to get signed. Me and Frank got together. Credit due to him as me and my team were trying to pick up the phone for a long time to get stuff done.”

“This is one of those fights where I’ve been working on being adaptable. I’m going to have to adapt, make smart decisions, when I need to do what and how I need to do it, and how I need to approach what I’m doing. So that’s it. There’s no strategy here. That’s it. I just need to go in there and do my thing.”

Todd duBoef

“This is more than boxing. This is the world of sport. This is a global epicenter for entertainment and sport. It’s a tribute to all of us in the room. It’s a tribute to Frank Warren, BT Sport and especially these two prizefighters who have brought it all for the many years and hard work in the gym to elevate the sport. The world is all going to be watching, not only 94,000. This is an honor to be a part of, and it’s going to be a wonderful night. We will all remember this.”

Frank Warren

“You’ve got the best heavyweight of his generation, the lineal champion and the WBC champion against a young man over there in Dillian who was been waiting…How long have you been waiting for this fight? 1700 days? He’s been waiting for this fight for 34 years. And it’s here now. He’s got the fight. And, we know he’s in great shape. But he’s got to train hard when you fight a guy like Tyson Fury. He’s told me that it’s been the best training camp that he’s ever had. So, you’ve got both of these guys in tip-top fighting condition. So, what are you going to get on the night of the fight? A great fight.”
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/otto-wallin-whyte-needs-to-be-really-aggressive-and-target-furys-body/219361
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/tyson-fury-vs-dillian-whyte-live-streams/214360
https://fightnews.com/fury-outweighs-whyte-by-eleven-pounds/131022
Trim and fit for Fury
Whyte slightly heavy - could be Whyte looking shove Tyson around and bully him..