Parker/Chisora
A tournament? They can't even get it together to have a decent match with top ten fighters fighting each other. Like you say, lots of good fights out there if they'll just make it happen.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/300402110/thats-what-everyone-wants-to-see-aussie-heavyweight-keen-on-joseph-parker-fight
oe Joyce comes on to Joseph Parker's radar

Joe Joyce is keen to keep active as he awaits a world heavyweight title shot.
Commonwealth heavyweight champion Joe Joyce has come on to Joseph Parker’s radar as talks for a rematch with Dereck Chisora stall.

Parker hasn’t fought since his controversial points win over Chisora in Manchester in early May. There was instant talk of a rematch, but that has amounted to nothing and there are frustrations in the south Aucklander’s camp.

A fight against the unbeaten Joyce would have major ramifications to the WBO organisation where Joyce is ranked No 2, one spot ahead of former champion Parker.

Like Parker, Joyce has title aspirations, but his route is clogged and he is seeking alternatives.

Anthony Joshua, the current holder of the WBO title, faces Oleksandr Usyk later this month and is then eyeing a unification bout with the winner of Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder. But a rematch with Usyk is on the cards in the event of defeat.

That sees Joyce casting about, looking for “big fights’ and Parker is on a list of potential opponents alongside Andy Ruiz Jr and Luis Ortiz.

"Joseph Parker is a great fight - if it presents itself, we'd take it in a heartbeat,” Joyce's manager Sam Jones told Sky Sports in the UK.

"Andy Ruiz Jr, Luis Ortiz. It's a real possibility it could happen. Joe is game for either of those.

"We are looking forward to making big, big fights now for Joe. I've made it clear that we only want big fights and that's what we'll get."

Parker’s manager David Higgins sees value in the Joyce fight.

"Yes, we would fight Joe Joyce. They are welcome to contact me,” Higgins told Sky Sports.

“I think it's a good time to be ranked No 3 with the WBO. The key is to keep busy and keep winning. After a relatively uncertain period in the division, if you're up there, then the next year or two could be quite good.

"Places could shuffle around and a world title fight might come up for those that are there at the right time."

Joyce would be a worthy opponent. The 35-year-old is a big lump at 1.98m to Parker’s 1.93m and has a 2.03m reach. His last two wins saw him stop fellow Brit Daniel Dubois and France’s Carlos Takam. Joyce has won 12 of his 13 wins by KOs.

Joyce was a late bloomer in the professional ranks after winning silver in the super-heavyweight division at the 2016 Rio Olympics. Aside from his lofty WBO ranking, Joyce sits at No 3 with the WBC and No 6 with the IBF.

A wary Higgins expressed frustration at the way the Chisora camp drew out negotiations last time, a tactic that saw Parker have to take a short training camp with his new coach Andy Lee to prepare.

Higgins says they won’t be forced down that route again.

"It's whoever makes sense [for Parker]," Higgins said.

"I think the Chisora fight was a close fight and they are both household names, so a rematch could make sense there. We're just mindful of our time being run down.

"There's talk of the end of the year, but we haven't seen a contract yet. I don't think we'll take the fight unless we get a decent nine or 10 weeks to prepare.

"I think the latest date in the year is probably that early December window, and then it runs out of time, so talk is cheap, we need to see a contract."
Anthony Joshua: What I learned from fighting Joseph Parker
11 Sep, 2021 08:00 AM

Anthony Joshua is a student of the game. It comes with the territory of being the unified heavyweight boxing champion of the world.

For the past five years, Joshua has been the man with the target on his back, with every one of his bouts since the start of 2016 having at least one world championship belt on the line.

On his journey, he has collected four of them – the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO belts are all in his possession – and every step of the way, he adds a little bit more knowledge.

And while the 31-year-old has had plenty of big fights in his 24-1 career to date, few have been as beneficial to his development as his 2018 clash with Kiwi Joseph Parker.

There was a lot of intrigue in the build-up to the fight. Joshua had never gone a full 12 rounds and many questioned if he could last in the deep waters against the man with the fast hands and the WBO title in his grasp.

Joshua heard the noise, and responded accordingly – beating Parker by unanimous decision to pry the gold from the Kiwi's hands.

"With the Parker fight I trained differently," Joshua recalls. "During the fight they said Parker's very quick; he's got the fastest hands in the heavyweight division. That was the media attention – that this is the guy with the fastest hands.

"He was a champion at the time so for me I wanted to just nullify his speed, they said I couldn't go 12 rounds so I wanted to go 12 rounds and show my conditioning. These things were really good to give me motivation to prepare, and how I approached it was good weight management, good preparation to be a 12-round fighter, controlling the fight from round one to round 12.

"Before that fight, I'd been with Wladimir Klitschko 11 rounds, so I knew now how to train myself a bit better and what it's like to go the distance. So, I understand what it's like when they bring out the card and it's round 10, when it's your first time you're like heavy breathing, because you've never been there before. Normally you do that when you're coming up but I was doing it at championship level; I was learning at the deepest level."

More than three years since adding the WBO title to his IBF, IBO and WBA crowns, Joshua continues to learn. Since that bout, he has won three of four fights – losing his titles to Andy Ruiz Jr in the first defeat of his professional career before winning them back six months later.

During that time, Joshua has not once ignored the theory of the game. While it comes as no surprise to anyone that he trains the roof off the gym, he says it's what he has learned from hitting the books rather than the pads that have helped him develop into the fighter he has become.

"It's easy to say, but I'm only going to talk from my humble opinion, and I truly think I've improved a lot," Joshua says when reflecting on his 2018 win over Parker.

"Not because of just time makes you better, I've put in a lot of work. I work really hard in boxing and I do a lot of researching, a lot of studying. I research a lot of the 1950s trainers – Ray Arcel, Nacho Beristain, Eddie Futch, Jack Blackburn, Angelo Dundee - all these great trainers and the psychology they played, and the motivation they gave their champions.

"I study boxing so my depth of wisdom in boxing has grown over the years. That's why I believe I'm going to look better now – because I've been dedicated, I've advanced that little bit more."

Later this month, Joshua will look to add a little bit more to his encyclopaedia of boxing when he puts his titles on the line against undefeated Ukrainian and former undisputed world Cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk in London.

A battle between two boxers whose excellence in the amateur ranks saw them collect Olympic gold before moving on to lofty heights in the professional world. While both have collected plenty of stoppage victories in the professional ranks, their pedigree as boxers has some expecting to see a clinical and long-lasting display akin to Joshua's bout against Parker.

However, while he has no issue with wherever the fight may go, Joshua says he doesn't need to prove he can last the distance now – and that makes him dangerous.

"At that time with Joseph Parker, I was going through a lot of learning processes in the ring. I don't think I had gone 12 rounds before. A lot of fighters would wait for me to try and get fatigued in the ring and say we can take him out in the later rounds, so it was about proving to myself 'cool, I'll show you I can do 12 rounds' so that eradicates any conversations about if I'm a 12-round fighter.

"For this fight, I've done that already and I've done it in the Ruiz II fight. This is strictly like you have to go in there to box, but I'm a boxer fighter – I'm going in there to fight as well; I'm going in there for the knockout, and when you go looking for the knockout it's because you box anyway. So, I'm going to box looking for great opportunities to land big power shots as well.

"So yeah, a different ball game, a different fighter, different tactics, but ultimately as a fighter we have to go in there looking for the knockouts; you have to go in there to box, but you also have to initiate the fight as well."

Joshua v Usyk will take place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London on September 26 (NZ time), and is available to be streamed in New Zealand exclusively via DAZN and the DAZN app.
Yep - you could tell Joshua had put a lot of work and thought into the Parker fight

I remember thinking that during the bout.

A hugely improved performance.

And sadly, he seems to have constantly improved while Parker has stagnated. Can the new trainer right the ship??
Ah kiwi, where have you been??? Good to hear from you. I agree with you; JP lost to Chisora and Fa but got the wins. JP needs to fight JJ and quit messing around.
Parker v Chisora dec in manchester
Thats what im hearing- don't like it much, nothing in it for JP and why so late
Boxing: Joseph Parker confirms heavyweight rematch against Dereck Chisora
17 Sep, 2021 07:30 AM

NZ Herald
Kiwi heavyweight boxer Joseph Parker has locked in his next fight - a rematch against Derek Chisora.

Parker is one up against his British rival, beating him over 12 rounds by split decision earlier this year.

The win was his fifth straight, and his first outing under new coach and former middleweight world champion Andy Lee.

But the former WBO champion has agreed on a second bout on December 18 in Manchester promoted by Eddie Hearn's Matchroom, in what will be his third fight this year.

Parker is currently ranked third on the WBO rankings, while Chisora has slipped to 10th.

Earlier this year, Parker said the rematch against Chisora would be the ideal situation to see just how much he has improved under the tutelage of Lee and working alongside Tyson Fury, who said prior to their initial meeting that Parker would have to question his place in the sport if he couldn't beat Chisora.

"It was a close fight," Parker reflected. "It was very good to get the win, but I feel like there's a lot of learning I can do on my side. I feel like on Derek's side, there's not so much learning that he can do. I feel like there's one way that he fights and there's one way that he approaches a fight – and that's applying pressure and throwing big bombs.

"I think if I continue to work with Andy and I continue to learn, continue to surround myself with guys like Tyson Fury and the team that Andy and I have and Tyson has, I feel like I can improve and get better.

"The big tell will be in a rematch with Derek Chisora to see if there's any improvements or if I need to stop boxing and do something else."
Higgins: Chisora a worthy rematch

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

As officially announced yesterday, former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker (29-2-1, 21 KOs) will clash with Derek Chisora (32-11, 23 KOs) on December 18 in a rematch at the AO Arena, Manchester, England. Parker scored a split decision over Chisora in May.

”There were other offers on the table and talk of fighting Joe Joyce, but we felt a Chisora rematch made sense,” Parker’s manager David Higgins told Stuff. ”They are both household names in New Zealand and the UK and are globally recognized. The first fight was close … we saw it as a close but clear win to Joseph, and we’ve decided it’s worthy of a rematch.”
Meh !
JP has to win well- good KO or make Del quit otherwise its a bad career move