Canelo/Smith Sunday
https://www.boxingscene.com/photos-canelo-alvarez-callum-smith-face-face-final-presser--154126
https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-me-callum-smith-best-168-motivates-me-lot--154116
https://fightnews.com/canelo-smith-make-weight/96130
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/canelo-alvarez-vs-callum-smith-optical-illusion/167466
Frank Sanchez: Very Important For Me To Shine On Canelo’s Undercard, Big Stage
By Keith Idec Published On Sat Dec 19, 2020, 12:22 PM EST
SAN ANTONIO – Frank Sanchez appreciates the platform on which he’ll perform Saturday night.

Canelo Alvarez’s stablemate will meet Mexico’s Julian Fernandez in the co-featured fight immediately before Alvarez challenges Callum Smith for the unbeaten Brit’s WBA “super” 168-pound crown and the vacant WBC super middleweight title at Alamodome. For the thankful Sanchez, this 10-round heavyweight bout represents a chance to impressively close out what was a productive 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Cuban contender was aggressive and entertaining in his most recent action – a fourth-round stoppage of Brian Howard in a fight FOX aired November 7 from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Sanchez (16-0, 12 KOs) floored Howard (15-4, 12 KOs) once in the third round and twice during the fourth round, when referee Jerry Cantu stopped their scheduled 10-round bout.

Sanchez is intent on producing a comparable win against Tijuana’s Fernandez (14-2, 11 KOs).

“I want fans to get excited about my fights and enjoy my fights,” Sanchez told BoxingScene.com through a translator. “It’s very important for me shine in this fight. It’s such a big stage, and I just wanna give everyone the same kind of performance and have them talking about me after this fight as well. I’m looking forward to putting on a similar performance.”

Sanchez, like Alvarez, is trained by Eddy Reynoso, the Boxing Writers Association of America’s “Trainer of the Year” for 2019.

The 27-year-old Fernandez has been knocked out twice in four years as a pro.

Germany’s Tom Schwarz (26-1, 18 KOs) knocked him out in the second round of their September 2018 bout in Magdeburg, Germany. Fernandez subsequently won three fights in a row, but Russia’s Arslanbek Makhmudov (11-0, 11 KOs) then stopped him in the third round of their September 2019 bout in Montreal.

Fernandez will fight for the first time since Makhmudov defeated him 14 months ago.

“I don’t see anything there that’s gonna impede me from looking good,” Sanchez said in reference to Fernandez.

The Sanchez-Fernandez fight will be the last of seven bouts on the Alvarez-Smith undercard.

DAZN’s live coverage of the eight-bout card is set to begin at 7 p.m. EST and 4 p.m. PST. The final four fights of the card can be purchased through traditional pay-per-view providers as well, for $69.99, which includes a four-month subscription to DAZN (January through April).
Canelo batters Smith, wins WBA/WBC 168lb titles

By Jeff Zimmerman at ringside

Boxing superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (54-1-2, 36 KOs) punished previously unbeaten WBA super middleweight champion Callum “Mundo” Smith (27-1, 19 KOs) for twelve rounds to claim the WBA Super and vacant WBC crowns on Saturday night at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Smith, who won the World Boxing Super Series in 2018, rarely stood his ground with Canelo, who stalked him from round one. By the midway point, Canelo was just wading in with complete disregard for Smith’s power. By the championship rounds, Canelo was totally imposing his will. It was all Smith could do to survive. Scores were 119-109, 119-109, 117-111.
Canelo closes 2020 on a high note

By Jeff Zimmerman

Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (54-1-2, 36 KOs) made his 2020 debut at The Alamodome in San Antonio, TX against WBA super middleweight champion Callum “Mundo” Smith (27-1, 19 KOs) in front of an estimated 15,000 fans and streamed live on DAZN.

Canelo put on a dominating one-sided performance against the game Smith, but he was no match for the power and overall arsenal that Canelo brought to the table. Smith certainly did his best to hang with Canelo but could never slow him down. Canelo won a unanimous twelve round decision 119-109 twice and 117-111 and came away with Smith’s WBA super middleweight belt, plus the vacant WBC title and Ring Magazine, clearly cementing himself as the #1 pound for pound fighter on the planet.

This was Canelo’s first fight since splitting with his long-time promoter Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions that ironically included DAZN and a 10-fight $365 million he signed in 2018. Eddie Hearn and his Matchroom Boxing wasted little time and swooped in to sign Canelo to a one fight deal to showcase him against Smith, who’s the younger brother of Liam “Beefy” Smith, who Canelo knocked out in the ninth round in 2016 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX.

And it just so happens in a weird twist of fate, Gennady “GGG” Golovkin fought last night on DAZN, so perhaps it will lead to Canelo-GGG 3 which is the fight that boxing fans want after two controversial decisions and seemed to lead in some ways to the parting of ways of Canelo and Golden Boy when that fight never got made and varying contracts that were signed with DAZN.

Promoter Eddie Hearn went so far and stated before the fight that GGG wants big fights in 2021 after his knockout win Friday night and of course no fight would be bigger than GGG, who at 38, is in the twilight of his career.

Canelo first had to get by Smith, 30, like Canelo, was rated the #1 rated super middleweight in the world and posed a different threat to Canelo as he towered over him by 7 inches as Smith stands 6’3” to the stocky Canelo at only 5’8”, but that never became an issue in the fight as Canelo just walked down the taller Smith.

In the first few rounds, Canelo was clearly looking for his big left hook, while Smith looked to keep Canelo at bay with the jab and an occasional counter uppercut. Both guys had moderate success early on, but by the 4th round, Canelo was landing combos upstairs on Smith who continuously was moving backward. Canelo mixed up the attack by going to the body, trying to chop down the lanky Smith. Like a lion on the hunt, Canelo continued to stalk Smith and cut off the ring, where Smith had nowhere to retreat. Canelo let his hands go and landed some of his right-hand power shots and didn’t seem to feel any power coming back from Smith as he continued to push forward through the first six rounds.

By the 7th round, Canelo began to let his hands go even more and as Smith tried to counter, it just opened him up for more punishment, liked a big uppercut while against the ropes. The 8th round saw great back and forth action punctuated by a big right uppercut by Canelo, however Smith landed a few combinations of his own that slowed down Canelo momentarily. The ninth through twelfth rounds were all Canelo as he mixed it up to the head and body and landed several vicious shots and somehow Smith was still on his feet and lasted to the final bell in a valiant effort.

Canelo stated after the fight he wants to unify and wants all the belts. When asked after about GGG by Chris Mannix in the ring, he stated he wants to fight the best. Promoter Eddie Hearn was also interviewed by Chris Mannix before the fight and asked about GGG performance last night. Hearn had high praise for GGG and said he is looking forward to big fights in 2021 as he winds down his career and believes Canelo is at the top of the list although he mentioned Andrade and Munguia as potential opponents on DAZN.

Now with their schedules aligned, boxing can only hope the “stars align” too and a Canelo-GGG 3 can happen before GGG finally calls it a career. In the crazy year that is 2020, that would be something else if Hearn is able to pull it off and Canelo-GGG 3 comes full circle in 2021.
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/167793/167793

I'd like for Canelo to face Saunders.  Don't know why, but I don't like him.  Boring maybe?
Billy Joe would avoid more punches but Canelo would walk through his too easily- just can see how Saunders puts a dent in him.
12 rounds is a long time trying not to get KO'd and trying to somehow score points.
You can frustrate Canelo for 3 maybe 5 rounds but if you don't have special power he will hurt you.
BUCKLE UP Canelo Alvarez will fight Billy Joe Saunders in super-middleweight unification fight followed by GGG, claims Eddie Hearn

EDDIE HEARN is backing Canelo Alvarez to target Billy Joe Saunders and Gennady Golovkin in 2021.

The Mexican cemented his reputation as one the greatest super-middleweights after destroying Callum Smith over 12 rounds on Saturday night in Texas.

Canelo Alvarez took the WBA and WBC belts last night

Canelo Alvarez took the WBA and WBC belts last nightCredit: Handout - Getty
The bruising victory meant he successfully stole the WBA super middleweight title and claimed the vacant WBC belt.

Alvarez is now a four division world champion and has plans to target the remaining belts with Joe Saunders holding the WBO and Caleb Plant with the IBF.

After the scrap, which left Smith bloodied and battered, he said: "I feel great at 168 pounds.

"I don't want to fight the scales and after 13 months you can see what I can do.

"This is one of the best nights I have had, one of the greatest nights. I will go for more. I want all the belts, it doesn't matter who has them,"

And Matchroom promoter Hearn, who has Joe Saunders on his books, is already plotting next year's programme.

He told BBC Sport: ""He loves to take on the best, he's a hell of a fighter.

"Billy Joe Saunders and then GGG in that order. I think he's going to want to pick up the other belts in the division. I think he'll go for Billy next."