Parker vs Fa

Joseph Parker and Junior Fa face off; fight details revealed
6 Oct, 2020 11:05am

Joseph Parker and Junior Fa will face off as the highly-anticipated bout between the two Kiwi boxers is confirmed.
Parker vs Fa will take place on December 11 at Spark Arena.

"Given the challenges facing major sporting events around the globe right now, getting this fight over the line is absolutely huge, and we are grateful to our partners Matchroom for their backing to make this happen" said Parker's manager and Duco's founder and Director David Higgins.

"With both boxers inside the WBO top 10 world rankings and in their prime, this is undeniably New Zealand's fight of the century."

Parker is ranked third in the WBO world rankings and Fa is ranked sixth. Both South Auckland fighters are aiming for a shot at the WBO world title and the winner of this highly anticipated bout will put them on a trajectory for a World Heavyweight Title shot.

Fa's promoter Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment, said it is biggest fights in New Zealand history.
"I've always believed that Junior Fa had the ability to become a world champion and, on December 11, he'll have the opportunity to prove that against a former heavyweight champion and amateur rival, in countryman Joseph Parker," DiBella said.

"Not only is this match-up one of the biggest fights in New Zealand history, it has high significance on the heavyweight landscape worldwide, with the winner closing in on a world title shot. With a win, Junior can become a New Zealand sports superstar and a worldwide boxing star in one night. I'm proud to co-promote this historic fight card with David Higgins' Duco Events and Matchroom."

Duco Events, Spark Sport and media partner New Zealand Media and Entertainment (NZME) also announced a New Zealand first three-way partnership to finally get Parker and Fa in the ring.
"The Parker Fa match-up sits perfectly with Spark Sport's purpose to deliver premium live and on-demand sports to a wide-reaching audience. The arrangement between Spark Sport, Duco Events, NZME and the support of presenting partner Stonewood Homes is a great example of not just sitting back and waiting for a sport to come to you, instead we've all got together and made it happen. This will be our second major pay-per-view event after we streamed the Whyte Povetkin bout back in August, so we're excited to bring this Kiwi based event to New Zealand as the exclusive broadcaster," said Head of Spark Sport, Jeff Latch.
Getting the Parker and Fa fight over the line has taken more than eight months of negotiations with the boxers, yet the innovative partnership between Duco Events, Spark Sport, NZME, with the support of presenting partner Stonewood Homes, was pulled together in less than eight weeks, demonstrating the enthusiasm to change the way sport is delivered and promoted in New Zealand, while also ensuring the event took place this year and on Kiwi soil.

"It's been a tough year for New Zealand sports fans with so little in the way of world class live sporting events since Covid-19 hit," said NZME Chief Revenue Officer Paul Hancox.

"For NZME this event encapsulates why we are committed to delivering the very best content to our audiences and advertisers, keeping Kiwis in the know. We are proud to support a spectacle like this, alongside Spark Sport and Duco, to bring sport back to a big arena where it deserves to be," Hancox said.

The heavyweight boxing match-up also marks the return of large-scale marquee events, with 9,000 expected to fill-out Auckland's Spark Arena for the December 11 event. Tickets will start from $69.
Pay-per-view will be priced on a tiered model with super early bird pricing of $39.99 available from today increasing to an early bird price of $49.99 on 27th October and then reverting to the final pay-per-view cost of $59.99 for viewers who purchase the day before or the same day as the fight
Thought I'd set up a separate thread now that the fight is official. Well done, Mr Higgins and Mark for getting it over the line!
(10-06-2020, 01:19 PM)diehard Wrote: Thought I'd set up a separate thread now that the fight is official.  Well done, Mr Higgins and Mark for getting it over the line!

Awesome!

Think I might go to this.... 
I'm not particularly excited for this fight, but I'll buy it and support the boys.
I expect Parker to completely dominate.

But Fa does have a puncher's chance.....
(10-06-2020, 03:00 PM)mippy Wrote: I'm not particularly excited for this fight, but I'll buy it and support the boys.

Oh yeah, hope it's competitive but can't see it at this stage. Hopefully a good undercard is on show. 
Junior Fa talks tough at Kiwi heavyweight fight announcement - 'I'm better than Joseph Parker'
12:49PM • SOURCE: 1 NEWS

Junior Fa has thrown the first verbal jab in the build-up to the now-confirmed all-Kiwi boxing bout between himself and Joseph Parker, saying he believes he has been better than the former world champion "for a long time".

Junior Fa doesn't hold back at fight announcement - 'I'm better than Joseph Parker.
Fa said he has believed he is the better Kiwi heavyweight for “a long time”.
Fa and Parker will finally settle their rivalry on December 11 at Auckland's Spark Arena and at today's fight announcement, Fa revealed just how confident he is entering it.

"Joseph Parker has fought great, great champions in his time," Fa said.

"I haven't really fought any household names just yet so I think this is all the reason for me to train hard and to prove to myself and everyone else that I am better than Joseph Parker.

"I've believed that for a long time."

Fa, currently 19-0 professional fights and the current WBO oriental interim heavyweight title holder, trains at world-renowned Auckland gym City Kickboxing where coach Eugene Bareman has been helping him prepare for a bout with Parker.

"Every now and then we'd be working on certain things that would work against Joe but not specifically training for Joe," Fa said.

"We were always training specific things but never actually focused on Joe just because we knew one day this fight would happen.

"Now is the time to really develop those skills and techniques and bring them out on fight night."

Fa won two of his four amateur fights against Parker before the both went pro.

He currently sits sixth in the WBO's heavyweight rankings, three places behind Parker.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/122994450/history-counts-for-nothing-says-joseph-parker-and-junior-fa-as-kiwi-heavyweights-collide
(10-06-2020, 03:25 PM)African Monkey Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 03:00 PM)mippy Wrote: I'm not particularly excited for this fight, but I'll buy it and support the boys.

Oh yeah, hope it's competitive but can't see it at this stage. Hopefully a good undercard is on show. 

I'm hoping Hemi is on the undercard, he's an exciting fighter to watch 
Love Hemi, as much if not more than Fa. Yes, put him in there, and I'm sure, given the virus, we should have a slew of Kiwi's on the undercard.