Parker vs Fa
Kevin Barry refusing to play 'bad guy' in Parker-Fa build-up despite stakes
18 MIN AGO • SOURCE: 1 NEWS

Kevin Barry admits the “stakes could not be any higher” for Joseph Parker in the fight against Junior Fa, but that doesn’t mean the Parker team will engage in a war of words despite some bad blood between the rival camps.

Barry said that despite a desire in the media for someone to play the villain in the lead-up to the December 11 fight, he won’t be that guy.

“We’ve got a very interesting, saleable fight in the world of heavyweight boxing,” he said.

“Both very humble guys, guys that don’t talk a lot of smack.”

“I’m not going to be that bad guy, Joe and I have worked very, very hard for the last eight years.”

“Joe is a very respected name in the world of heavyweight, I don’t need to diminish or disrespect Joe’s opponents to quantify the success of Joseph Parker.”

While he wouldn’t be playing the bad guy in pre-fight promotions, Barry was not shying away from the stakes for both fighters.

Bareman and Kevin Barry have just over eight weeks to prepare their boxers. Source: 1 NEWS | Sky
“The stakes could not be any higher, Junior is six and Joe three with the WBO, the inner of this fight is going to find themselves one fight away from fighting for a mandatory position to fight for the world title.”

“If he is to slip up here against a very strong, undefeated No.6 world ranked Junior Fa, it’ll be a long way back for Joe to get in title contention.”

“Now they have history, they fought four times in the amateurs, Junior won the first, Joe the second and third and Junior won the fourth.”

“The fourth was the most important because it was the Olympic trial.”

Parker had a noticeably different physique and was sitting just two kilograms from his fighting weight after training hard and lifting weights through Auckland’s lockdowns.

“Once it [the pandemic] hit, Joe never took his foot off the pedal, he kept training, he kept his strength programme going, and this is something he’s wanted to do for a long time, to focus on explosive power and he’s got himself very big at the moment.”

There was a noticeable thickness in the shoulders and chest, Barry said.

“His strength levels are the best they’ve ever been so know we have to get off the heavy weights and start concentrating on our game plan.”

“Joe feels his hands are as fast as they’ve ever been.”
Great 13 minute video interview with Fa:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/boxing-junior-fas-camp-furious-with-joseph-parkers-manager-david-higgins-after-drug-testing-snafu/NOSKYAGXATVC7JATFW35QOV6XA/
Kevin Barry on Parker-Fa showdown

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker (27-2, 21 KOs) and WBO#6 Junior Fa (19-0, 10 KOs) clashed four times in the amateur ranks winning two each. Parker’s trainer Kevin Barry talks about their rubber match on December 11 at the Spark Arena, Auckland, New Zealand.

“Joe is a proven performer, he’s a big-time fighter and everyone has Joe in their top half dozen,” Barry told Stuff. “Look at the results against Takam, Dimitrenko, Ruiz, Hughie Fury, Joshua, Whyte … there are no names like that for Junior. But the thing that Junior has is history. He knows Joe, he’s watched Joe, he’s beaten Joe, I don’t think he will fear Joe. The stars have lined up for something special.”
I wish Fa well

but have to favour Parker by KO in Rnd 7.
Yes Kiwi, but who do you WANT to win???
I want JP to win as I think he can still do things at elite level. I can't see Fa doing that I what I have seen so Fa...
Upsets can happen though.
But I would love to see JP rematch Whyte and Ruiz- fight Wilder, Usyk etc
If he never wins another title beating some of the above will mean a excellent career to be proud of.
That's sort of my feeling too, that Joe can go farther than Jr. In saying that, if Fa can beat Joe in dramatic fashion, that would mean that he's arrived. I hate for Kiwi's to fight Kiwi's, as it hurts the one that loses on the big stage. If Joe loses, he's in trouble with his career. But if Jr makes a fight of it, and loses, he could actually be ok.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/in-shape-joseph-parker-able-hit-ground-running-training-junior-fa-fight
I am a longtime Parker fan.

He can still get to the very top, I believe
Joseph Parker v Junior Fa: Date changed for heavyweight boxing's Fight of the Century
29 Oct, 2020 10:46 AM

Kiwi heavyweight boxers Joseph Parker and Junior Fa will have to wait slightly longer than expected to square off after their upcoming bout was pushed back. The 12-round clash will now take place on Saturday December 12 at Auckland's Spark Arena.

Kiwi heavyweight boxers Joseph Parker and Junior Fa will have to wait slightly longer than expected to square off after their upcoming bout was pushed back.

Initially scheduled to be held on Friday December 11, the Stonewood Homes-sponsored 12-round clash will now take place on Saturday December 12 at Auckland's Spark Arena.

The fight was originally scheduled as a Friday night affair due to the possibility of clashing with an All Blacks game on the Saturday.

However, with the All Blacks schedule recently confirmed and the team playing their final game of the Tri-Nations in late November, the decision was made to move Fight of the Century, in association with Stonewood Homes, back a night.

The fight being held on the Saturday night increases accessibility for fans who are hoping to get along to the historic bout - with the weekend date providing more opportunity for those travelling from outside of Auckland to get to the event.

While allowing for better access for Kiwis, holding the fight on a Saturday also ensures the event maximises its potential for international viewers, with the event now reaching markets like UK and Europe on a Saturday morning.

Those who have tickets but can no longer attend the event due to the change in date will be able to get a refund.

"As a non-working day for many, Saturday provides the best opportunity for more people to attend the event, especially those travelling to Auckland from all around the country," Duco Events director David Higgins said.

Kiwi fight fans planning to watch on television at home would also have more time on the Saturday to download the Spark Sport app and order the pay-per-view if they hadn't already done so.

"The is the biggest heavyweight contest in New Zealand in history and we are really keen to break the pay-per-view record set by David Tua vs Shane Cameron in 2009," Higgins said.

People who purchase from today will pay the early-bird price of $49.99 right up until December 9, so there's a good incentive to for customers to purchase early and test their streaming set ups at home. The pay-per-view price will then revert to the final price of $59.99 from December 10 through to the day of the event.

- More to come.
Saw few people online kicking up about the day change how affected flights and accom etc