Wilder/Ortiz on SKY this Sunday
New Jersey’s Vito Mielnicki Jr. (3-0, 3 KOs) looked promising in scoring a second round knockout over Marklin Bailey (6-6, 4 KOs) in a welterweight bout. The young 17 year old prospect Mielinicki worked the jab effectively and was patient as he backed up Bailey. Snapping Bailey’s head back with the jab, Mielinicki finished him in the second hurting Bailey as the referee Russell Mora stepped in to stop the fight at 2:31.

Dustin Long (3-1-2, 3 KOs) of Tennessee scored a highlight knockout over Deontay Wilder’s youngest brother, Marsellos Wilder (5-2, 2 KOs) in a cruiserweight bout. It was a slow paced first round as Wilder and Long were limited. In round two, Wilder popped the jab tagging the taller opponent Long. Wilder staggered Long in the third round as he was patient in picking his spots. However a huge left hook by Long in the fourth, knocked Wilder out as referee Jay Nady immediately waived it at 1:51 of the fourth.

Ukrainian super featherweight Viktor Slavinskyi (10-0-1, 6 KOs) and Mexico’s Rigoberto Hermosillo (11-1-1, 8 KOs) of Mexico went the distance in a super lightweight bout opening up the FS2 telecast. The tall and lanky Hermosillo used the jab to keep away the shorter Slavinskyi in the opening round. The Ukrainian closed the gap in round two as he worked his way in connecting on Hermosillo. In the fourth round Slavinskyi snapped Hermosillo’s head back with some solid shots but a clash of head complicated things in the fourth which caused a cut. Hermosillo attempted to take advantage of the opportunity in the fifth as Slavinskyi bled from his right eye, the Mexican kept his distance landing straight shots. The sixth and final round saw Hermosillo and Slavinskyi exchanging going at it as they sensed the urgency with the fight appearing to be a competitive one all along. In the end the judges scord the bout 60-54, 59-55, and 58-56 as Slavinskyi pulls out a unanimous decision.
Featherweight Eduardo Ramirez (23-2, 10 KOs) of Mexico took advantage of the pay per view opportunity scoring a fourth round knockout over Leduan Barthelemy (15-1-1, 7 KOs) in a rematch in opening up the FOX pay-per-view on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The southpaw Barthelemy was flashy in the first as Ramirez charged and looked to make it a rough fight. Sticking the jab in round two, Barthelemy used his quickness to keep off Ramirez. Staying close to Barthelemy in round three, Ramirez outworked Barthelemy. Ramirez kept the pressure in the fourth as he connected Barthelemey with a solid straight left that dropped the Cuban. Barthelemy was up on his feet and turned away from referee Russell Mora forcing him to wave it off at 2:59.
Brandon Figueroa, Julio Ceja Go To War - Fight Ends in Split Draw

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - WBA "regular" super bantamweight champion Brandon Figueroa (20-0-1, 15 KOs) and Julio Ceja (32-4-1, 28 KOs) traded hard punches at a furious pace for twelve rounds, which resulted in a split draw verdict.

The scores were 115-113 for Figueroa, 116-112 for Ceja, and 114-114.

The contest was a non-title bout, because Ceja failed to make weight on Friday. He was over four pounds beyond the 122-pound limit.

In the first, Ceja was doing good work to the body, but he was getting tagged to the head and the shots were doing damage. They were trading big punches in the second round, with both having their moments. Figueroa was connecting with the harder shots, but Ceja was landing hard as well.

Figueroa was connecting with a lot of punches in the third. Ceja was trying to overcome the big storm of shots. After Figueroa did well in the fourth, cejas was landing heavy blows in the fifth. He was connecting with hard shots on Figueroa on the inside, to the head and body.

Ceja continued to rally in the sixth, by outworking and outlanding Figueroa. A close seventh, that could gone eight way, with both trading on the inside. During the eight, Ceja connected with some heavy blows on Figueroa, who seemed to be rattled for the first time. Ceja had a very solid ninth and tenth, as he used combinations to pound the body of Figueroa.

The eleventh was tough for Figueroa, who was in there trading but ate a lot of punches to the head and body. They came out trading punches in the twelfth. Figueroa was going for broke, letting all of his shots hang out. Ceja was not landing as much and trying to hold off the rally of Figueroa.
Wilder KOs Ortiz in seven with huge right hand

By Miguel Maravilla at ringside

WBC heavyweight world champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (42-0-1, 41 KOs) settled his unfinished business with a seventh round KO over Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (31-2, 26 KOs) in a rematch on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It was a slow-paced and cautious fight with Ortiz winning until Wilder ended it suddenly and decisively with a huge right hand in round seven.

At the time of the shocking ending, Wilder was trailing on all three cards 59-55, 59-55, 58-56.

Ortiz got Wilder’s attention in the opening round as he snuck in a quick left. Jabbing away in the second, Wilder and Ortiz measured as they continued to figure each other out as Ortiz was the more productive. The straight left kept landing for Ortiz in the third but Wilder answered back with a straight right hand. Ortiz kept the straight left coming as he backed Wilder to the ropes in the fourth.

Working the jab in the fifth, Ortiz was patient as he had Wilder backing up. A stiff jab by Wilder in the sixth was his best punch thus far in the fight as he snapped back Ortiz’s head.

The Cuban stuck to the plan continuing to box and counter.

In the seventh, a wild left by Ortiz barely connected and backed up Wilder as the champ responded with a haymaker. Later in the round Wilder finally caught Ortiz flush with a solid straight right that flattened Ortiz. He struggled to get up as referee Kenny Bayless counted him out at 2:51 of the seventh.

In their first fight Wilder stopped Ortiz in ten rounds back in March 2018.
I don't know about those scorecards. Ortiz EASILY won the first 6 rounds, because he did SOMETHING. Wilder did nothing. And Ortiz hurt Wilder in the 7th until BOOM BOOM, out went the lights. Ortiz was up at the count of 7, which was the end of the round, but the ref waived it off. I felt that Ortiz mighta recovered in his corner, but man, his eyes rolled back in his head when he went to the canvas, and he was bent over at the count of 7. An OK stoppage.

The fight was incredibly boring. But I've seen Wilder fight like that before, where he does nothing for several rounds, and then unloads.
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/deontay-wilder-vs-luis-ortiz-live-updates/135374
(11-24-2019, 08:19 PM)diehard Wrote: I don't know about those scorecards.  Ortiz EASILY won the first 6 rounds, because he did SOMETHING.  Wilder did nothing.  And Ortiz hurt Wilder in the 7th until BOOM BOOM, out went the lights.  Ortiz was up at the count of 7, which was the end of the round, but the ref waived it off.  I felt that Ortiz mighta recovered in his corner, but man, his eyes rolled back in his head when he went to the canvas, and he was bent over at the count of 7.  An OK stoppage.

The fight was incredibly boring.  But I've seen Wilder fight like that before, where he does nothing for several rounds, and then unloads.

Yup same here, Wilder was down 6-0 and was well on his way to losing the 7th until Ortiz got sloppy and lost concentration, and sure enough Wilder pounced big time.
Deontay Wilder: I knew sooner or later it would come

By Miguel Maravilla

“What an amazing fight. The fight lived up to the hype,” WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder talking about his spectacular knockout over Luis “King Kong” Ortiz on Saturday night in Las Vegas. “Ortiz proved tonight that he is one of the best. He proved age is nothing but a number. I give him respect and he has tremendous skill.”

A crushing right hand ended matters in the seventh round with Wilder behind on all three scorecards.

“To be honest I’m not worried if I’m losing the fight. I’m blessed with tremendous power. I really had to be smart with him. We put a plan together. What I do is not textbook. I saw the opportunity and took it. I knew sooner or later it would come,” Wilder said.

“I wanted to wait, measure, give angles, and most of all have fun. When I found the punch I was looking for it was night, night.”

Wilder also spoke about the upcoming heavyweight showdown between WBO, WBA, IBF heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr. and Anthony Joshua.

“The heavyweight division was in the dark but I’m happy to be part of the heavyweight division. I want to become undisputed champion.”

And on a potential rematch with Tyson Fury, “Ima knock Fury out. Come February I hope they are ready for me. I’m looking forward to fighting the top guys. I’m here and I’m not going anywhere.”
Luis Ortiz: It was either him or me

By Miguel Maravilla

Cuban heavyweight Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (31-2, 26 KOs) made his way to the post-fight press conference to speak about his knockout defeat to WBC champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (42-1, 41 KOs) of Tuscaloosa, Alabama Saturday night in a rematch at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas headlining the PBC on FOX PPV.

“This is boxing. It was either him or me. The plan was to work, work, work. I stuck to the plan but then got caught. I was effective. Like Wilder says, all he needs is a second. Everyone saw physically and mentally I was ready, but one shot is all it takes,” Ortiz said.

Up on all three scorecards was Ortiz as the judges had it scored 59-55, 59-55, and 58-56 at the time of the stoppage.

“I got caught. I slipped the punch wrong. I’m in shock and disappointed,” the 40-year-old Ortiz stated. “Retirement is out of the picture. I’m going to take out my frustrations on the other heavyweights that want to challenge me,” Ortiz said. “Anyone that thinks I’m old, well step up,”
https://fightnews.com/full-wilder-ortiz-post-fight-press-conference/61705