GGG vs Derevyanchenko Free this Sunday
Madrimov, Baranchyk victorious at MSG

Fast-tracking WBA Intercontinental super welterweight champion Israil Madrimov (4-0, 4 KOs) impressively stopped Alejandro Barrera (29-6, 18 KOs) in round five in Saturday night’s Golovkin-Derevyanchenko co-feature at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Madrimov dropped Barrera almost immediately in round one and then battered Barrera until the bout was halted. Time was 2:36.

Former IBF super lightweight champion Ivan Baranchyk (20-1, 13 KOs) scored an impressive fourth round KO over Gabriel Bracero (25-4-1, 6 KOs) to claim the WBA Intercontinental title. Baranchyk punished Bracero from the opening round. Bracero finally went down in round four and the bout was waved off. Time was 1:30.

The pro debut of much-hyped 2016 Olympian light heavyweight “Mighty” Joe Ward didn’t go as planned. Ward stepped on opponent Marco Delgado’s foot in round two and awkwardly crumpled to the canvas grotesquely dislocating his left knee. Delgado gets the win to go to 6-1, 5 KOs.

Unbeaten WBC International silver super middleweight titlist Ali Akhmedov (16-0, 12 KOs) needed just 44 seconds to take out Andrew Hernandez (20-8-2, 9 KOs). A right hand put down Hernandez and the bout was quickly waved off.

In a clash of unbeaten welterweights, Brian Ceballo (11-0, 6 KOs) beat Ramal Amanov (16-1, 5 KOs) by third round TKO. Amanov gave indications that he didn’t wish to continue. Time 1:20.

Middleweight Kamil Szeremeta 21-0, 5 KOs) crushed Oscar Cortes (27-5, 14 KOs) in the second round. Cortes down twice. Time was :45.

Super middleweight Nikita Ababiy (7-0, 6 KOs) destroyed Isiah Seldon (13-3-1, 4 KOs) in the first round.
GGG vs Derevyanchenko up next.
Great fight! Close UD decision for GGG. Dereyanchenko looked really good, but that eye cut really hampered him. GGG dug deep, and he got hit alot. At 37, maybe he should fight Canelo and then retire.

https://fightnews.com/golovkin-edges-derevyanchenko-in-big-drama-show/57069
https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/results-golovkin-lands-ibf-and-ibo-middleweight-straps-in-wild-nyc-fight/129685
https://fightnews.com/golovkin-derevyanchenko-scorecard/57104
GGG: Very tough guy / D’chenko: I wanna rematch

Gennady Golovkin and Sergiy Derevyanchenko have commented on their epic war for the IBF middleweight title at Madison Square Garden in New York City

Gennady Golovkin: “I told you, he’s a very tough guy. This is huge experience for me. Right now, I understand I need more. Focus is boxing. This was a tough fight. I need a little bit more. I need to still get stronger in my camp. Just more serious. I need to work hard. I need a little bit more focus.

“Right now it’s bad day for me, it’s a huge day for Sergiy, his team. This is huge experience for me. Right now I know what I need exactly. I lost a little bit of focus. Sergiy was ready, I really respect him. He showed me such a big heart. I told him, Sergiy, this is best fight for me. It’s a huge experience. It’s maximum destroy. I just respect his team.

“Rematch? Absolutely. Big fight for DAZN, for the people, of course I’m ready. I’m a boxer, I’m ready for anything.

“Absolutely I still want Canelo, I’m just open to anybody. There are so many great champions here. Sergiy, a lot of guys. Everything is ready, just call Canelo. If he says yes, let’s do it.”

Sergiy Derevyanchenko: “The cut really changed the fight. I couldn’t see at times. And he was targeting the eye. But no excuses, it is what it is, I was trying my best. When I started moving, I felt like I was giving him room and I was getting hit with those shots that he threw and that’s why I started taking the fight to him and getting closer and not giving him room to maneuver.

“He hit me in the back of the head. He hit me behind the ear. I didn’t really see the punch but it didn’t really affect me that much. I got up and I wasn’t really hurt so I continued to fight, so it was nothing, nothing too bad.

“I would like the rematch if it’s possible, I’m ready.”
Golovkin was BADLY ill reveals Eddie Hearn
Andy Brooks - October 6, 2019 1 Comment

Gennady Golovkin fought Sergiy Dereyanchenko while ill tonight, according to his promoter Eddie Hearn. He says that Golovkin (39-1-1, 35 KOs) has been ill all week long with an undetermined illness that he just found out about on Friday. Hearn believes that Golovkin’s illness is the reason why he failed to look good on Saturday night in winning a close 12 round unanimous decision The scores were 114-113, 115-112 and 115-112.

The odds-makers wont be too pleased at learning that Golovkin fought while ill, because this is a news bit that they would want to know.

Golovkin won the vacant IBF middleweight title in beating Derevyanchenko on DAZN at Madison Square Garden in New York. After the scores were announced, the Madison Square Garden crowd was furious with them showing Golovkin with boos. What’s interesting is that the crowd that originally cheered GGG when he entered the ring tonight, booed him loudly.
The fans had been transferred from GGG to Derevyanchenko based on his superior performance. The fans were pro-Golovkin when he entered the arena, and when they left, they were now Derevyanchenko’s fans.

Golovkin was sick for Derevyanchenko fight says Hearn
“It was one of the best fights I’ve seen. It was brutal,” said Golovkin’s promote Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing to IFL TV. “Derevyanchenko unbelievable. He won’t say it, but Gennady has been ill all week, and it’s been a real struggle for him, and he’s kept it quiet. He won’t even say anything, but I will, because even though Derevyanchenko deserves all the respect in the world, what Gennady had to go through tonight, the well he had to go through, and he showed much heart. Derevyanchenko was absolutely brilliant,” said Hearn.

“In the 1st round I was thinking, ‘An early night and an easy touch.’ I really fancied that Derevyanchenko would be really difficult in this fight, moving well with Andre Rozier having a great game plan. But after the first round, I thought, ‘what a result, this is going to be all over.’ And he [Derevyanchenko] just came back. Very close fight. I just spoke to Keith Connolly, and he said, ‘Oh, we won that fight.’ It was a very close fight. I actually had Gennady winning the last two rounds to make the difference for Gennady to nick the fight,” said Hearn.

Its too late for illness excuses

It sure would have been nice if GGG had revealed that he was sick BEFORE his fight against Derevyanchenko. Right now, Hearn looked pathetic making excuses for his fighter GGG after his controversial win over Derevyanchenko. From the outside looking in, Hearn comes across like a promoter desperately trying to save his fighter Golovkin from being seen as tarnished goods by boxing fans. Unfortunately for Hearn, he’s like a boy with his finger stuck in a dam, trying to keep it from leaking. The boxing fans aren’t going to believe his attempts at damage control by blaming Golovkin’s performance on him being sick.

Hearn unsure if Golovkin will give Derevyanchenko a rematch
“I’d love to see a rematch. I don’t know,” said Hearn when asked if he’d consider makig a rematch. “I don’t know what to think at the moment. I saw that Gennady’s had looked nicely swollen, so he’ll have to get that checked out, and he’ll probably have a mandatory [against Kamil Szeremeta] as well, but who wouldn’t want to see it again. I know some will like Gennady, and some will like Derevyanchenko. So if there’s any doubt, maybe that’s something we’ll look at in 2020. No disrespect to Derevyanchyenko, but that’s not the type of fight that he necessarily wants to be in.

You know the fight [Saul Canelo Alvarez] that he wants to be in, but sometimes you come unstuck against guys that come in with the great performances. Derevyanchenko couldn’t have done anything more. He gave everything. his cut was horrendous. I thought it would be stopped within a couple of rounds, and I think the Commission did well, because you’ve got to give a fighter in that position every chance, and they gave Derevyanchenko every chance. And it was a brutal, brutal fight, back and forth. Derevyanchenko took some huge shots,” said Hearn.

Just looking at what Hearn is saying, Golovkin won’t be giving Derevyanchenko a rematch. Hearn has already laid out the possible options for GGG’s next fight and they are as follows:

Saul Canelo Alvarez
Billy Joe Saunders
Demetrius Andrade
Callum Smith
Kamil Szeremeta
Hearn pushing Golovkin to fight Andrade, Saunders, or Callum might be interpreted by boxing fans as a self-serving move, considering that those three fighters are with his Matchroom stable Derevyanchenko ISN’T one of Hearn’s fighters. Hence, he’s not getting the push.
(10-06-2019, 06:38 PM)diehard Wrote: Great fight!  Close UD decision for GGG.  Dereyanchenko looked really good, but that eye cut really hampered him.  GGG dug deep, and he got hit alot.  At 37, maybe he should fight Canelo and then retire.

https://fightnews.com/golovkin-edges-derevyanchenko-in-big-drama-show/57069

Agreed, that was a war! The decision could really have gone either way and tremendous credit to Derevyanchenko for coming back from the early knockdown and that bad cut to take the fight so strongly to GGG. I thought there were some similarities to the Spence-Porter fight and as boxing fans we have been lucky to see two such high quality matchups in consecutive weeks.
Hearn said GGG was ill the week of the fight. I agree. He looked flat and washed out before his ring appearance. He said he had a bad night. Still haven't seen the Spence/Porter fight. On my way to Welly tomorrow, will catch it when I return.
Interesting post fight comments from Golovkin's trainer Johnathon Banks on Triple G's performance:

https://www.boxingscene.com/trainer-golovkin-not-let-hands-go-i-want-more-defense--143167