Luis Ortiz vs Bryant Jennings- 19th December
Well, Team Parker are fighting southpaw Bergman in anticipation of Martin and Ortiz. Parker would have a hard time getting inside Ortiz (that doesn't sound right!) as Ortiz has a much bigger reach, 84 to 76 inches. Like AJ and Wilder, Parker waits on this one until it counts towards a belt, either as an eliminator, mandatory, or challenging for the title.
Finally watched Ortiz v Jennings, what a great fight with some interesting adjustments made by both fighters/corners as the rounds progressed.

I think Jennings initial approach of smothering Ortizs power was clever and although he still got caught on the outside a bit, the first 4 rounds had to be scored 2 apiece. But god does Ortiz look assured of his own skill set, and by round 5 danced on the outside to create distance,and use his countering and catching Jennings trying to come in, so by round 6 Jennings wasnt even getting close and was effectively being stalked (in my mind the body shots were tacking their toll). I was impressed with the attempted adjustment Jennings made in the 7th of feigning to cause reaction or counter from the outside, but nothing worked and really by the time the close contact started mid 7th you could almost see Ortiz patiently waiting for what he wanted to do. Jennings afraid of his sore body on the inside, uppercut open..

Very very impressive by Ortiz, but also Jennings tactics, chin and adjustments were shown to be solid. Just couldnt compete with a guy who will be a massive threat to the belts, especially Fury, i think Ortizs style is almost custom made to put that bigot on the canvas. Bring it on.
(12-21-2015, 09:17 PM)Ina Mungstit Wrote: Finally watched Ortiz v Jennings, what a great fight with some interesting adjustments made by both fighters/corners as the rounds progressed.

I think Jennings initial approach of smothering Ortizs power was clever and although he still got caught on the outside a bit, the first 4 rounds had to be scored 2 apiece. But god does Ortiz look assured of his own skill set, and by round 5 danced on the outside to create distance,and use his countering and catching Jennings trying to come in,  so by round 6 Jennings wasnt even getting close and was effectively being stalked (in my mind the body shots were tacking their toll). I was impressed with the attempted adjustment Jennings made in the 7th of feigning to cause reaction or counter from the outside, but nothing worked and really by the time the close contact started mid 7th you could almost see Ortiz patiently waiting for what he wanted to do. Jennings afraid of his sore body on the inside, uppercut open..

Very very impressive by Ortiz, but also Jennings tactics, chin and adjustments were shown to be solid. Just couldnt compete with a guy who will be a massive threat to the belts, especially Fury, i think Ortizs style is almost custom made to put that bigot on the canvas. Bring it on.
Nice analysis Ina - no wonder you got the TKO and the round right...

Not so sure if anybody would find Fury easy though. He has reach and underestimated boxing skills (I've been caught out there before)
The fight I would like to see is Ortiz v Povetkin
(12-21-2015, 09:38 PM)gothenaki Wrote: Not so sure if anybody would find Fury easy though. He has reach and underestimated boxing skills (I've been caught out there before)
The fight I would like to see is Ortiz v Povetkin

This is true, he much be such a bastard to fight

Ah yes yes Great match making gothe - Ortiz v Povetkin, would be a perfect step for Ortiz too.
I'd heavily favour Fury over Ortiz at this stage, his youth and cardio will see him through. I think he can fight Ortiz at all ranges and find success because he has that surprising movement and speed. Fury hits a fair bit harder than Jennings as well and Jennings was landing clean regularly.
I rate Fury better than the pundits did pre Klit, and not as good as the pundits claim he is post Klit. Fury has average speed and power, moves ok, and is big. He's also been put down by average punchers. I mean, Klit rarely threw a punch, and definitely not power punches. How could Fury lose in that scenario?
Regarding Ortiz - "A good big man will always beat a good smaller man."

Ortiz just seemed the bigger man. Would he do the same to Parker? Hmmm. I think he would struggle to do so - but a great fight.

-Kiwi
(12-22-2015, 11:30 AM)Kiwi Wrote: Regarding Ortiz - "A good big man will always beat a good smaller man."

Ortiz just seemed the bigger man. Would he do the same to Parker? Hmmm. I think he would struggle to do so - but a great fight.

-Kiwi

Parker according to Boxrec is the same height, and the same weight as Ortiz. Not sure if Ortiz would be able to push off Parker like he did Jennings and his previous opponents.
Yeah, but check the reach. Big difference between Parker and Ortiz. Parker will get hit as he tries to reach Ortiz. But he is a lot faster. Question: Does Parker even have an inside game?
That's a good question. The times he looks messy is when he doesn't commit to getting back into range, or getting in closer. I'm sure the talk about changing angles and levels, Kevin would have worked on the inside game at the same time. Who know really...I hope we see more than a couple of rounds from Bergman (long-shot) to see a few aspects of his training camps coming out.