NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
'He's good enough': Kevin Barry backs rising Kiwi boxer Jerome Pampellone to win a world title
Sam Wilson

Jerome Pampellone showed his class with a first round stoppage win over Mose Auimatagi Jr in April.
Light heavyweight fight: Jerome Pampellone v Rogelio Medina. Where: McKay Stadium, Whangārei. When: Saturday, December 2. Coverage: Live on Sky Arena and Sky Sport Now

The last trainer to guide a male Kiwi boxer to a world title believes rising light heavyweight sensation Jerome Pampellone has what it takes to be the country's next champion.

Kevin Barry was in Joseph Parker's corner on that historic night in Auckland seven years ago, when Parker outpointed Andy Ruiz Jr to capture the vacant WBO crown and become the first fighter born on these shores to hold a major championship.

And the esteemed coach with a keen eye for emerging talent is convinced the unbeaten Pampellone (17-0, 10 KOs) can go on to emulate Parker's achievement by one day conquering the 175lb division.

Speaking from his home in Las Vegas, where he still trains fighters at his gym, Barry gave a glowing assessment of Pampellone as the London-born contender prepares for the toughest challenge of his short professional career.

Trainer Kevin Barry took Joseph Parker all the way to the WBO world heavyweight title back in 2016.
Pampellone takes on hard-hitting Mexican Rogelio 'Porky' Medina (41-9, 35 KOs) in a 10-rounder on the undercard of Peach Boxing team-mate Mea Motu's latest world title defence in Whangārei on December 2.

It represents a sizeable step up in class for the 27-year-old, who is ranked seventh by the IBF despite only turning professional three years ago.

Medina, by contrast, has had 50 fights in a 16-year-long campaign in which he has faced a string of former and current champions, holding his own against several of them.

He also has a history of mowing down top prospects, blasting out Floyd Mayweather's protege J'Leon Love in three rounds back in 2014.

That has left some pundits questioning whether 'The Panther' has bitten off more than he can chew, though Barry is not one of them and expects Pampellone to come through this tricky assignment with flying colours.

“I think it's a very interesting fight and a really good challenge for Jerome. He's been stepping up nicely, especially over the last three or four fights,” said Barry, who has followed Pampellone's progress since he was an amateur.

“Medina is a very experienced, durable fighter who has been in the ring with some very accomplished champions throughout his career.

“This is the perfect test for Jerome at this particular stage of his career.”

Barry has been impressed by Pampellone's rapid development under the tutelage of trainer Isaac Peach in west Auckland and considers him a “world-class prospect” and the “most exciting talent in New Zealand” at the moment.

He particularly likes how the part-time plumber has added spiteful punching to a toolbox that includes an accurate jab and slick footwork, stopping his last two opponents in the first round.

“One thing I've been really impressed with is the way he's turning into a very, very good puncher. He's only got 10 knockouts in his 17 wins but if you look at his last three or four fights, he's starting to really hurt guys,” Barry noted.

“I look at the Mose Auimatagi fight [in April]. In 2020, he fought David Light who was 16-0, and Mose went the distance with him and gave him a really tough, physical fight. David went on three fights later to fight Lawrence Okolie for the world cruiserweight title.

“Jerome whacked him out in one round. To me, that made a real statement.”

Not that Barry expects Pampellone to have it quite so easy against a seasoned campaigner like Medina, who, at 35, might have seen better days but is in the midst of a four-fight winning streak, all by stoppage.

The crafty veteran knows every trick in the book and has a well-earned reputation as a busy fighter, frequently throwing more than 1000 punches in his bouts.

Mexican veteran Rogelio 'Porky' Medina has knocked out 35 of his 50 opponents in a 16-year career.
Barry anticipates the Mexican slugger will come in “pretty good shape”, confident of handing Pampellone his first loss in front of his own fans. But he is backing the Aucklander to get the job done inside the distance.

“He won't fear Jerome. Jerome is the guy who has to make the statement here,” said Barry. “Thirty-five knockouts from 41 wins, you know this guy can bang.

“I think it will bring out the best in Pampellone. I expect him to knock him out. I just think the style, the number of punches Medina throws, will work to Pampellone's advantage.

“It will take a while to break him down, but eventually I think he will get to him.”

Messages In This Thread
RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 11-24-2023, 10:41 AM