NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Boxing: Eddie Hearn on possible Sonny Bill Williams bout against Jake Paul, and other options for former All Black
28 Apr, 2022 12:00 PM

Eddie Hearn has one simple question for Sonny Bill Williams – what do you want from the sport?

The former All Blacks and Kiwis star returned to professional boxing in 2021 after six years away from the ring, and has shown his intentions in pursuing the sport by linking up with Andy Lee and Tyson Fury in the UK for his most recent camp.

A massive name in the sporting world, the 36-year-old said focusing on boxing fulltime for the first time would be the final chapter of his sporting career in the lead up to his demolition job of Barry Hall in March.

That performance caught the eye of many, including Hearn, and social media star turned boxer Jake Paul, who recently called Williams out.

While in New York this week ahead of the undisputed lightweight title fight between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano, Hearn caught up with Paul and asked him about the fight, and confirmed it was something Paul was serious about – despite the size differences.

"I think Jake likes it because it's an international fight; and how good is Sonny Bill Williams? Andy Lee has done a great job, but there's the conversation or debate of is he a fighter or is he a rugby player," Hearn said.

"He's certainly putting the time and effort in, and it was a great performance last time out, but I guess the fight is to make Sonny Bill versus [Paul] Gallen. That's the fight for Down Under. But if that can't get made – I know Gallen has a fight coming up – maybe the Jake Paul fight is one we could have some fun with."

Messages In This Thread
RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 04-28-2022, 04:28 PM