NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Sonny Bill Williams confirms world boxing title aim after confirming rugby league retirement
Marc Churches

Williams says persistent knee injuries stopped him from continuing on the rugby field.
This story was originally published on Nine News and is republished with permission.

Sonny Bill Williams has confirmed he's now focused on becoming a world champion boxer, stating his career as a footballer is officially over.

Williams, 35, today revealed his time in rugby league has come to an end, having played his last game in the NRL with the Sydney Roosters during their semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders last year.

He finishes his NRL career having played 123 first grade games between the Bulldogs and Roosters, with premiership wins at both clubs in 2004 and 2013 respectively.

The dual-code superstar will continue his career at the Roosters in a mentoring role as he looks to take his boxing career one step further, with a professional record of 7-0 to date.

Williams admits he hopes to go into his next fight, whoever that may be, with "six months" of training and not "six weeks", which was the case during his career as a footballer.

"I spoke to my manager, I said 'bro I'm keen to get back into the ring, I've got a couple of years, I'm 35'," he told Nine News Sydney.

"I spoke to the wife first, and she had blank eyes but like usual, she supported me.

"I want to know how I will go in six months instead of six weeks."

Williams also opened up on his decision to retire from rugby league, conceding an ongoing issue to one of his knees was ultimately too much to play on with.

"I was humble enough to understand my knee couldn't meet the demands although the mind wanted to of the week in and week out footy, especially in the NRL.

Asked how he wants to be remembered in rugby league, Williams said: "As a brother and a man that just gave it a crack.

"Wasn't perfect by any means but tried to learn from his lessons."

Messages In This Thread
RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-10-2021, 01:33 PM