JP Fight # Comparison
In Parker's 16th fight he faces Kali Meehan (42-5), former world title contender, current ranking - 29

These are the 16th opponents of the top 5 heavyweights in the world (according to Boxrec)

Wladimir Klitschko v Derrick Lampkins (9-3-1), retired
Alexander Povetkin v Taurus Sykes (25-4-1), current ranking - 424
Tyson Fury v Nicolai Firtha (20-8-1), retired
Kubrat Pulev v Alexander Dimitrenko (32-1), current ranking - 56
Deontay Wilder v Reggie Pena (6-6), current ranking - 496

Basically, apart from Pulev and to an extent Fury, the other three fought garbage bags on their 16th fights compared to Meehan. All of them were undefeated at the time as well...
Boxrecs ratings are shocking, 46 year old Tarver @8 wow, just wow.
I think boxrec is mostly ok. But there's two things it does badly- and tarver has both things: it doesn't seem to pick up on the age thing- a win from 2years ago looks about as important to them as a win from 20years ago which is messed up. And it doesn't seem to adjust for weight class migration. Once you've moved up to HW, all your earlier fights at lower weight classes seem to get just as much credit as if they were HW fights... Which also doesn't make much sense...

For younger fighters that have stayed in the same weight class their whole career, I think it's not terrible....
Firtha, Sykes, and Dimitrenko were or are decent journeymen. Meehan is a little better than those three, but not by a whole lot. Boxrec is OK, as cranky says, as long as you don't take it as gospel. The fightnews rankings on their website in the right hand column is the best reflection of where the top 15 stand.
(08-15-2015, 12:21 PM)diehard Wrote: Firtha, Sykes, and Dimitrenko were or are decent journeymen.  Meehan is a little better than those three, but not by a whole lot.  Boxrec is OK, as cranky says, as long as you don't take it as gospel.  The fightnews rankings on their website in the right hand column is the best reflection of where the top 15 stand.

Their ratings are laughable.
As I said in another thread, what's the issue you have with the fight news rankings. I'm talking heavyweights only: http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2
(09-19-2015, 02:47 PM)diehard Wrote: As I said in another thread, what's the issue you have with the fight news rankings.  I'm talking heavyweights only:  http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2

Lets look at heavyweight then: Povetkin ain't number 2 for a start. Joshua and Ruiz at 7 and 8? Brown at 10? No mention of Cunningham, Tarver, Chagaev, Mansour, Teper in the top 16? Need I say more? It's a good thing we only talked Heavy
Povetkin has come off a great win and is back.  He's the only guy who can trouble Klit right now.  I'm ok with AJ and Ruiz.  I think Ruiz is undefeated and has heavy hands.  AJ is ranked #2 in one of the alphabets, and can probably beat most guys in the top 5.  BUT, he needs to be tested.  Brown's ok at #10.  Looking to get a title shot against Chagaev.  Tarver and Cunnningham are yesterdays news.  I think Mansour and Teper are knocking on the door to be in the top 15.  Chagaev is the mystery.  He should be in the top 10.  

Jamieson, give me your top 15 heavyweights.  I'm sure I can argue some of your selections.  Which is not a bad thing, because it's subjective, and we naturally rate some guys higher than others.

Take a look at some of the alphabets.  Some guys are in their for political reasons, and some aren't who should be.  They are the joke, not the fight news rankings, which is reasonable.
(09-19-2015, 03:38 PM)diehard Wrote: Povetkin has come off a great win and is back.  He's the only guy who can trouble Klit right now.  I'm ok with AJ and Ruiz.  I think Ruiz is undefeated and has heavy hands.  AJ is ranked #2 in one of the alphabets, and can probably beat most guys in the top 5.  BUT, he needs to be tested.  Brown's ok at #10.  Looking to get a title shot against Chagaev.  Tarver and Cunnningham are yesterdays news.  I think Mansour and Teper are knocking on the door to be in the top 15.  Chagaev is the mystery.  He should be in the top 10.  

Jamieson, give me your top 15 heavyweights.  I'm sure I can argue some of your selections.  Which is not a bad thing, because it's subjective, and we naturally rate some guys higher than others.

Take a look at some of the alphabets.  Some guys are in their for political reasons, and some aren't who should be.  They are the joke, not the fight news rankings, which is reasonable.

Joshua and Ruiz haven't beaten anyone. Ruiz barely squeaked past Liakhovich. Browns best win is struggling with a guy Hughie dominated. He ain't fighting a live body until Hatton can cash him out.

You may think Cunningham is old news but that is discrediting what he's done. He arguably beat Adamek who was rated at the time, dropped Fury, beat Mansour, and arguably Glazkov and Tarver.

I feel rankings should be based on achievement more so than potential. There are some great ranking sites out there and my list would only be a reflection of their list. I agree the sanctioning bodies ratings are shocking but ranking guys who have done very little so far is questionable.
Well, I agree with you that rankings should be based on merit and not potential.  If that's the case, ignore my comments about AJ, Parker (who's #15 I think) and Ruiz.  How about this.  No one should be ranked in the fight news top 16, or any alphabet in the top 15, until you beat at least one person on that list.  Same with top 10.  Same with top 5.  As in, to be in the top 5, you have to beat someone in the top 5.

I think you'll agree with me about Povetkin.  He only lost to Klit, who octopussed him, and has beaten some top 5 guys.  I rate right behind Klit, and above Wilder.  Cunningham?  Too many losses, and he looked bad against Fury.