Izu Ugonoh
Good to Izu getting some international recognition finally. Will too, even if for all the wrong reasons...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/the-brutal-knockout-video-of-izu-ugonohs-fight-has-gone-viral/story-fndkzthy-1227469614105

Because Parker v Meehan is all sewn up, any speculations on Izu's October 15 opponent?

Maybe Alapati A'aso, Hunter Sam, Willie Nasio???
They've expressed interest in having him step up. Maybe even regional title type encounter.

Hunter Sam is interesting. Has contested regional belts himself, has never been KOed.

Plus - given that this will be on a Parker/Meehan undercard, you've got the connection/intrigue that this is a guy that Kali has fought (& Bowie too for that matter). Gives the commentators/ marketers plenty of reference points to talk about, with respect to the broader event....
(08-06-2015, 08:49 AM)cranky Wrote: They've expressed interest in having him step up. Maybe even regional title type encounter.

Hunter Sam is interesting. Has contested regional belts himself,  has never been KOed.

Plus  - given that this will be on a Parker/Meehan undercard, you've got the connection/intrigue that this is a guy that Kali has fought (& Bowie too for that matter). Gives the commentators/ marketers plenty of reference points to talk about, with respect to the broader event....

Do you think Duco would be willing to pay regional belt sanctioning fees while he's still apparently not in their stable? Or is that KB's responsibility?
I don't think I really understand what his relationship with Duco is. Seems to me he is in their stable. This upcoming fight is his fifth Duco card, in a row...
I don't understand it either, cranky. Given that Izu is something like 13-0, Duco should promote him at least as much as they are doing Jeff Horn. I know that he left his former manager to go with KB, and that Duco paid for him to train with Klit in Florida, so I don't know. Maybe he's a free agent, and has an arrangement to train with Parker and be on Duco's shows...
Izu is facing this guy in October - http://boxrec.com/boxer/266813

Would've been my 10,000th guess...

Can't see the point in bringing a rubbish cruiserweight all the way from Ghana but it's not my money.

Also, Bowyn Morgan and Joe Blackbourn off the card.
Mmm yes judging by his record it appears to be a clear Mis-match and should be an easy nights work for Izu. Was hoping they would step him up against someone decent but maybe next time.
Working on the highlight reel perhaps? To be fair, comparing this guys boxrec record to others on izu's resume doesn't look like a backward step. And a quick KO here would likely see Izu's close to breaking the top 100 I would have thought...
But it's not the step up we were expecting....
Apparently a number of highly ranked Aussie said no, incl Leapai. So they seem like they're trying to step him up. But I just can't think why you'd chose this guy if you're going to spend the money on getting him all the way here from Africa.

Surely there's some heavyweights closer to home of the same standard and pay expectations?