Call out etiquette
(07-10-2018, 10:51 PM)diehard Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 10:32 PM)African Monkey Wrote: From what I can gather from reading this thread, Kiki Toa Leutele has called out Junior Fa?

So, just ignore him.

Yaeh, Junior Fa probably has bigger fish to fry at this stage of his career, however, if his health is no good then maybe he could be a good return fight after a long layoff.
(07-10-2018, 10:01 PM)justafan Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 07:02 PM)markk Wrote: What’s the thoughts on call outs.  I’m a big believer that if you call someone out it’s in you to pay for it and organise ?  Thoughts ??

Calling a fighter out essentially is a way of leapfrogging the market .  So for mine you need to pay and pay well

Generally interested in what people think.

I know the Facebook post you are referencing to (well I'm 99.99% sure I do) and my take is that it was about using Junior's name with no risk as they know there is no chance of the fight happening for many reasons regardless of whether they really want the fight or not.
IMO I can see where you are coming from but people are always going to use others names to pump themselves up and create discussion so take it has a complement. For example when Parker was Joshua's mandatory I overheard a couple of idiots down my local saying that he was ducking Parker because Parker was calling him out and he wasn't coming to New Zealand to fight Parker. Like that was ever going to happen.
From my experience boxing people know the good fights and often hear the whispers of whats coming up. Nobody outside of the boxing hardcore knows who Kiki is so of course he should go calling Junior's name to boost his own stock when he knows the fight will never happen.
Let's be honest, by writing on this thread we are all giving them what they wanted!
I guess the interesting thing in this case is it didn't come from the fighter or his team it came from an unusual source. That said that person is doing some amazing work to get good fights going and create pathways so as far as I'm ok with it. The more people who are talking boxing the more chance we have of seeing the best fights possible. 
Can see why Team Fa are like WTF though

Classic didn’t realise thaT the guy calling out is not part of team. He is doing amazing things for boxing all the same. I don’t mind it I just think a team needs to back up the call out if it’s made and accepted by the others. It can be a great tool at the right time. I just wondered what people thought. That now cracks me up. Probably should have said will be a great fight to watch with Fa and light rather than a call out.
I can only assume that they either got him to post it because he has a much wider reach or they didn't want to say it themselves in case it looked disrespectful. Maybe he is involved but I think he just rates him and wants to see him active which we all do so all good.
I have no problem with the fight when he is at 10-0 and it can be built to the NZ public but right now Kiki needs another decent scalp plus the biggest issue is there is not the finance in the fight to make it viable right at the moment.
I guess he did say on notice to be fair rather than we want you next month.
I don't see Dave taking meaningful fights at heavy in the future though.
Another way of looking at this situation is what you are saying is the old school way Mark yet the new school know they can boost their profile in the social media age by chucking a few fights that are probably never going to happen or are a long way from happening. I don't have a huge problem with it but as the old story goes be careful what you wish for as you may back yourself into a corner or lose the respect of your supporters if you go calling too much but don't back it up.
(07-11-2018, 01:17 PM)justafan Wrote: I can only assume that they either got him to post it because he has a much wider reach or they didn't want to say it themselves in case it looked disrespectful. Maybe he is involved but I think he just rates him and wants to see him active which we all do so all good.
I have no problem with the fight when he is at 10-0 and it can be built to the NZ public but right now Kiki needs another decent scalp plus the biggest issue is there is not the finance in the fight to make it viable right at the moment.
I guess he did say on notice to be fair rather than we want you next month.
I don't see Dave taking meaningful fights at heavy in the future though.
Another way of looking at this situation is what you are saying is the old school way Mark yet the new school know they can boost their profile in the social media age by chucking a few fights that are probably never going to happen or are a long way from happening. I don't have a huge problem with it but as the old story goes be careful what you wish for as you may back yourself into a corner or lose the respect of your supporters if you go calling too much but don't back it up.
Cool.

Hope he goes well. Def got some ability . Junior will always foght just needs to be right money. I’m throwing it back at them as if you want to leap frog put show on and we will be there. But not allot in it for junior so money has to be at least what we are getting in states. We tried to make foght a year ago or so . We knocked on the door for a while but Mo response (through Shane Cameron whose show it was on )
Surely fighting at home and being near his family has its advantages, if you're getting paid well in the states (which I guess you must be otherwise why fight on undercards so far away?) Why not have a fight at home, you'd surely more than be confident with for less money? Junior really doesn't have the profile in NZ he should have.
(07-11-2018, 07:42 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: Surely fighting at home and being near his family has its advantages, if you're getting paid well in the states (which I guess you must be otherwise why fight on undercards so far away?) Why not have a fight at home, you'd surely more than be confident with for less money? Junior really doesn't have the profile in NZ he should have.

Can only fight 3-4 times a year now and we have 3 fights on contract this year till feb so a very busy schedule. Don’t want to lose money having a fight if the money is low. Everyone has to be realistic with how much heavies get paid at a certain level. We choose to go to USA to get the profile as Joe and Duco have done a great job here and I felt it would be his market for some time. We have got our heads down working hard ( although junior has some things medically to deal with)
If you're getting paid well to fight the likes of Paschal,Lewis and Latham then there's really no need to fight hungrier fighters like Leutele and Light for less money its a no brainer. Its way too early in there careers to fight someone like Fa anyway. I think England's the place box as a heavy at the moment, there's a real buzz here for heavyweight and boxing in general. Parker and his team really are cashing in. Now that footballs 'not coming home' its time to get back to the boxing :-)