Parker vs Pettaway Results
http://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/parker-puts-away-pettaway-in-four/38911#more-38911
(03-06-2015, 10:50 AM)diehard Wrote: In Tua's 13th fight, he fought Calvin Jones, who was 16-8.  His next five fights went the same way in terms of opponents.  Cut Parker some slack.  He's learning his craft.  The hype doesn't come from him.

Couldn't agree more. He needs a bunch of these sort of opponents. Promoter's problem is making money off the next 5-10 fights though, as he develops the skills, as the punters will be impatient.

Think they need to coincide the "development" fights with the "build international profile" fights, to keep their primary local supporters hungry without having to fit the bill without huge perceptible progress the whole time.

Fight in US, fight in uk, in continental Europe, for small money or to help build a card, and develop a small skill each time but build profile.

The local "well" may run dry soon otherwise?
Gotta agree, cranky. Too few fights that ended quickly, including Parker's. What Duco needs to do is have Parker fight some top ten guys in the US and UK, build up his reputation and ranking, and then come back here for a mega fight.

To me, there's Wilder and Fury, with Klit ruling the roost. All other fights should be available for Parker. Need to choose wisely, based on styles.
I'm not sure we're saying the same thing. We'd all pay money to see the fight against a top 10 guy for sure. In fact that would sell well in NZ. But that should not be the next 1, 2 or 5 fights for Jospeh. Barry has him on the right course. Another Pettaway type, limited, but with a different skillset Joe needs to conquer, is the right path. But you'll struggle to sell the next few cards in the same fashion to the corp crowd/ with PPV in NZ (or am I misreading that?)

Instead do what they did with parker v Thompson - on a Duva card in US. Or parker v nascimento on a Klit card in Germany. Offer him up for nothing on a fury, khan or froch card in the uk. Put him on a GGG card wherever ggg can find someone to face him, fight before cotto at msg on Puerto Rico weekend. The next five fights are not about $. They are about building skills, but given they shd all be gimme fights, build big profile also. Trade off as a promoter, but that's where they are right now- make the local punters beg to bring him home to Auckland, instead of forcing a weak show down their throats every few months......
I think we are saying the same thing. Duco can't continue to trot out inferior undercards with no name, padded record opponents. I don't think the country will continue to buy it. So, he needs to go overseas. Yes, put him on the GGG and Klit undercards, but I guess where we differ is that he needs to start stepping up his competition now. No more old journeymen or guys with padded records. I don't think it helps him much. It needs to be a steady road to a title shot. I would be selective, but choose some top ten guys that are good for his style. Hammer is damaged goods now, but he would have been one I would have chosen. Charles Martin, even Povetkin. I'd stay away from Lucas Browne unless it's for a title shot, if he beats Chagaev.
Oh is it good to be a critic! At the age of 23 what does a promising prospect do...either way he gets criticized. Fights top 10 fighters and he gets hamered for not working his craft on safer opponents while hes got time, fights journeyman with padded records and people call him a padded fighter, poor Parker cant win.

Personally I think they are heading in the right direction because there is no rush to put him against top 10 just yet, did I mention he is only 23!!! My only concern is picking the caliber of opponent to gain valuable skills needed for his developement...yes Parker is gaining leaps but lets not fall into the trap that Parker is that good to be top 5 yet, Duco have failed with Pettaway, we were told Pettaway would offer decent counter punching, defence and ring movement...saw none of that from Pettaway (maybe Parker was too good and shut him down). Point is ... other than an extra notch on the wins and keeping active this fight did nothing to benefit from in terms of his developement ...

But congrats to Parker...lets hope Duco aim not much but just a little higher.
I think that tub of lard butterbean is beginning to believe his own hype. I guess with Lonegan in his ear.......
I love the bit where Lonegan says we're finding it hard to get opponents for him. How about trying someone with a pulse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-JgyZHcdqQ&sns=fb
Butterbean is pretty much a professional boxer now, he should fight other professionals. I guess that doesn't have the trash factor that Duco wants though
He has a pro record of 4-0 now, it would be interesting to see how he'd go against someone like Dean Garmonsway, wouldn't be anything in it for duco though, like you say. He's fighting in Thames in a couple of weeks on the undercard of Cairo George/Nort Beuachamp but there's no-way he'd risk his 'unbeaten record' on a local show, so yes hes probably fighting a local builder/farmer.
Duco makes no money off Butterbean unless he matches him with some celeb like they did in his last fight. I'm sure the local fights are to keep busy and pad his record.