Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th
Just the opposite, Storm.  Stiverne needs to box him, pick his shots, make Wilder miss, frustrate him, and then lower the boom.  Wilder is the one to make this a dogfight.  With Wilder, it seems like all is going well early in the fight, no real advantage, and then he KO's them.

Stiverne has already faced a Wilder type in Arreola.  Twice.  I see the fight even.
with Stivernes jail bar defence he makes himself a target and i think he is easy to pick off when he just sits there relying on fast counters. Wilder has height reach advantage and his right hand will be able to pierce through Stivernes guard. Attacking Wilder takes away the reach advantage wilder has......Stiverne is like a T- rex because he has short arms, so he has to get in close in order to land anything. I know Wilder cant box very good, and has loads of bad habits.....just ask all of his previous opponents :-)
(12-31-2014, 12:49 PM)diehard Wrote: Just the opposite, Storm.  Stiverne needs to box him, pick his shots, make Wilder miss, frustrate him, and then lower the boom.  Wilder is the one to make this a dogfight.  With Wilder, it seems like all is going well early in the fight, no real advantage, and then he KO's them.

Stiverne has already faced a Wilder type in Arreola.  Twice.  I see the fight even.

Wilder and Arreola are not even close to being the same die. Different movement patterns, different size, height reach etc. Wilder moves around a wee bit, where as Arreola just plods forward most of the time. Plodding may be the wrong term for it, but sometimes it is just that.
Stormy, I'm just saying that Arreola and Wilder don't box well, and both go for the KO, and both have great power. 
(12-31-2014, 02:03 PM)diehard Wrote: Stormy, I'm just saying that Arreola and Wilder don't box well, and both go for the KO, and both have great power. 

do you see Stiverne as being a boxer? he can bang, but the type of opponents he has faced so far have suited his style of boxing.I dont know if he can allow himself to just guard up, whilst looking for that one off fast counter shot like he has a habit of throwing.

wilder has weaknesses no question about it! Stiverne has sufficient power to ask questions of Wilder that he has not really ever had to answer before now.

This fight willl be won by the guy who can execute the game plan of there trainers the best. Thats right. Im saying a smart coach with a great gameplan will win this fight before the 1st bell rings.
Stormy, both those guys can bang.  Sure, Stiverne will box a little, as he has a very good jab.  But the game plan will be thrown out the window, and it'll be a matter of who lands first, as Stiverne will eventually get into a dog fight with him.  It's a matter of when.  Stiverne sets him up, and then connects.  Or Wilder gets in one of his power shots and it's over. 

I'm excited.  This will be fight of the year.  Think Hearns vs Hagler.  It has that possibility, and I think that's how the fight will go.
(01-01-2015, 12:04 AM)diehard Wrote: Stormy, both those guys can bang.  Sure, Stiverne will box a little, as he has a very good jab.  But the game plan will be thrown out the window, and it'll be a matter of who lands first, as Stiverne will eventually get into a dog fight with him.  It's a matter of when.  Stiverne sets him up, and then connects.  Or Wilder gets in one of his power shots and it's over. 

I'm excited.  This will be fight of the year.  Think Hearns vs Hagler.  It has that possibility, and I think that's how the fight will go.

well die you have just endorsed my view that Stiverne should turn this into a dogfight right from the start, because thats what the Haglar vs Hearns fight was :-)
I know Stormy, but I don't think should or will set out to turn it into a dogfight.  I see Stiverne trying to set him up and catch him.  I just don't think it'll be that easy, and ultimately turn into a dog fight.
I don't know enough about about Stiverne to say it would be an upset if he were to lose but Wilder cannot rely on manic type pressure to beat guys of high standard. Wlad would hospitalise him but then he ain't fighten Wlad so good luck to him - whoever wins has Furey next.
Those guys are all future JP victims until Wlad retires
Wilder getting tips in how to beat Stiverne

By T.Baker | January 3, 2015 | 41 Comments

Deontay Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs) has been using sparring partner Demetrice King (15-20, 13 KOs) as a source of information to get him ready for his fight in two weeks from now against World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. King, 29, stopped Stiverne in the 4th round of their fight in 2007.

There was a little bit of controversy involved with the stoppage, however, because Stiverne was still standing and fighting back. He’d been hurt moments before by a big left-right from King, who then proceeded to land a flurry of head shots while Stiverne attempted to cover up on the ropes.

After King landed six unanswered blows to the head of Stiverne, the referee stepped in and halted the fight. Stiverne complained bitterly to the referee, but it was a good stoppage because Stiverne was getting battered by King.

“He’s the only guy who knocked him out. So we’re learning a lot from him about Stiverne. He’s telling us a lot about the way he moves, the way he holds his hands,” Wilder said to RingTV.com. “Demetrice told me that when he gets tired, he’ll lay on the ropes, and he told me about his head positioning and some of the other stuff that he does.”

I’m not sure that Deontay will be able to do the same kinds of things that King did when he beat Stiverne. King was a pretty rugged guy with an excellent chin, and this enabled him to take some vicious head shots from Stiverne without getting knocked out. King was stopped only twice in his career in his 20 defeats, so it’s not surprising that he was able to take Stiverne’s best shots and come back with his own power punches. King may have had a lot of defeats, but he had pretty good power and he definitely showed it against Stiverne.

Wilder needs to avoid getting hit a lot in this fight because it’s unclear whether his punch resistance is as good as King’s. We really don’t know yet how good of a punch Wilder can take, but it would be in his best interest to try and stay on the outside against Stiverne as much as possible on January 17th so that he doesn’t get hit with something too big.

Deontay has a number of other sparring partners to help him get ready for Stiverne, such as Jason Gavern, Nagy Aguilera and Dominick Guinn.