Parker vs Costa
(11-27-2014, 12:03 PM)diehard Wrote: I don't pay attention to rankings as real, Sham.  At least not to measure a fighters skills.  It does, however, come into play politically when you want to fight someone who is ranked.  Of course, fighters will soon want to fight Parker because HE is ranked in the top ten now. 

when you gain a ranking you are pinning a target on your head and saying "come get me if you dare".....I like JP and AJ. These guys are the future face of boxing, at least in there own backyards. Getting a ranking is great. keeping it is easy when you fight guys you know you can beat. Its a business. The pro ranks is all about the money,honey. Duco are working there the way to the money tree.Will they make it all the way?? that remains to be seen. For the fighters sakes i hope they do well.
Well it has a little bit to do with the fighters too stormy. That ranking with JP may get him some early dollars but could more to the point be a burden on him, and if he gets lowered a placing or two early he may have a bigger task to get back up there. Clearly AJ has a better chance of living in that vicinity, for now anyway.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/63708498/joseph-parker-knows-opponent-packs-a-punch
Well at the end of the day anything can happen in that ring. Sure Costa looks ok on a set of pads. It was a little eye opener of sorts to hear that baby Joseph had met and sparred with his next Brazilian opponent. Really makes me think about the change of opponent. At least we now know where the Brazillian connection was established.
Dodgy!
Costa is a good opponent for Parker at this point in his career.  Big, heavy puncher, was ranked #15, padded record.  Maybe not so much as a headliner, no threat, as he's passive but durable.
Had a chat with Vinnie Maddalone and he said he never signed a contract cos "if it didn't make dollars, it didn't make sense". The guy got tko'ed a few times, but he still did heaps of rounds with some big guns before falling to them. The Brazilian is here for a holiday. Having a "Latino" title gifts him a world number 15 ranking automatically. What the hell is that title anyway? lmao Im going to check out who he fought to get it......this should be interesting ;-)
No stormy.  Please don't check his opponents.  You'll ruin the nite for everyone!
15 was last month. doesn't feature at all this month.... milking the last dodgy "last month, hope nobody noticed its now this month" ranking... hehehe
Boxer Parker out to nail end-of-year exam

NZ Newswire

December 3, 2014, 1:19 pm

Unbeaten heavyweight boxer Joseph Parker likens his upcoming fight to an end-of-year exam, and one that will set him back in a big way if he fails it.

Parker faces Brazilian Irineu Beato Costa Junior in Hamilton this weekend and goes in as the firm favourite.

It will be the 22-year-old Aucklander's fifth and final bout for 2014 and he is looking to improve an 11-0 record that includes nine knock-outs.

"I've had all those tests throughout the year and they've been great opponents," Parker said.

"This is the main end-of-year exam and we have to try to nail it. If I get it wrong on Saturday night, it could set me back 12 to 18 months."

Costa, 34, has a 15-1 record with 13 wins inside the distance, and he is ranked 15th by the WBO.

His sole loss came in his last bout, when German Christian Hammer outpointed him by unanimous decision in October.

He and Parker have met in the ring before, as sparring partners in Las Vegas, when Parker was acquainted with Costa's punching power.

"He caught me with a good shot, a good right hand, which I felt," he said.

"It's been a year now and we've both been developing as fighters, so it's going to be interesting to see the improvement on both sides."

Parker, who is 10th in the WBA rankings, rates Costa as his toughest opponent so far, not just for his power, but also for his height.

At 1.93cm, Parker will have just a one-centimetre advantage.

"The other guys I fought were much shorter, even though they were more experienced," he said

"So this will be a different experience for me, fighting someone my height and trying to adjust my punches to punch upwards instead of downwards."