What's Next for Parker???
(12-13-2016, 12:48 PM)Infern0 Wrote: This has nothing to do with Joe lol but does anyone else think whoppers are so overrated?

Dry tasteless pattie and you have to pay extra for cheese!

Big Mac >

Doesn't matter what they taste like. Very, very bad for you!
Duco would need to get an exemption from the WBO to fight his mandatory:

Joseph Parker wants to fight Deontay Wilder next

By Dylan Cleaver

Joseph Parker's promoters Duco are eyeing an opportunity to use his next fight to add the WBC belt to his collection.

The 24-year-old became the first New Zealand-born fighter to win a heavyweight championship when he defeated Mexican Andy Ruiz Jr for the vacant WBO title on Saturday night.

Promoter David Higgins said they were now seeking clarification from the governing body as to who they have to fight next.

"We've reached out to the WBO [regarding] our obligations to fight the mandatory challenger," Higgins told Radio Sport.

That challenger was originally slated to be British basher David Haye, but he has chosen to fight compatriot cruiserweight Tony Bellew instead, leading Higgins to imply Haye was running scared.

The next on the WBO mandatory list is Hughie Fury, cousin of suspended former heavyweight champ Tyson.

Higgins, however, said Parker might be able to get dispensation from the WBO to fight American Deontay Wilder instead, as the winner would therefore unite the WBO and WBC belts.

"We're clarifying those facts this week," Higgins said.

Duco will enter negotiations with both the Fury and Wilder camps, hopefully with the ability to use the other as leverage if one party tries to get too greedy. Reading between the lines however, it seems the prospect of fighting Wilder, who is recovering from hand surgery, is a lot more appealing to Duco both from a box-office and career development perspective.

Should Parker take on and beat Wilder, he would have two of four heavyweight belts.

Highly rated British fighter Anthony Joshua holds the IBF belt, while the WBA belt was vacated by Fury when he tested positive for a banned substance. Higgins said the end goal remained to have Parker unify the division, despite the cynicism of the "old school critics" this week who have poured doubt on the South Aucklanders credentials.

"He's 24 now and heavyweight's peak at around 32. He still has eight years."

Higgins did not rule out an imminent fight against the likes of Joshua if it meant the chance to unify the division.

"We're not going to avoid fighting each other," he said.

Higgins was adamant a loss would not irreparably damage Parker's career.

"Nearly all the greats have lost fights," he said. "It's how you come back that matters. If he is to lose a fight, nothing changes. You get back on the horse; you join the queue again."
I heard that interview on Radio Sport. BUT I highly doubt that Hughie or Wilder will take the fight. Wilder would fancy himself against the soft hitting Fury as his comeback from injury option, making it his 125th voluntary fight in a row since he won the WBC title.
It's a good way to duck Povetkin, who may be seen as more dangerous... I can see the fight happening, I'd prefer it to Miller or Hughie
I personally hope that Parker avoids the big names. He's simply not ready yet, and I'm beginning to doubt if he has the overall skills or the raw power needed to take on the big boys. AJ would destroy him at this stage, so I'm hopeful that Parker uses the next few fights to keep learning and fight like he did from rounds 5-12 against Ruiz for an entire fight and give a complete performance - I think I saw him do a weave once after an overhand right that looked eye-catching, but he didn't follow it up with anything. More weaving would be good to see.

I'd favour H Fury, then Price, Miller and then Wilder.
You guys are forgetting that "styles make fights". Parker simply does not enjoy the top echelon of tough 'short' guys - ie. Takam and Ruiz. Povetkin would be bad too.

He has always done well with taller guys because he then is the aggressor. Way different. He loves to come forward and BAM - power punching, etc. Think about it.

Bring on Wilder. He is in for a shock.
(12-13-2016, 03:19 PM)Kiwi Wrote: You guys are forgetting that "styles make fights". Parker simply does not enjoy the top echelon of tough 'short' guys - ie. Takam and Ruiz. Povetkin would be bad too.

He has always done well with taller guys because he then is the aggressor. Way different. He loves to come forward and BAM - power punching, etc. Think about it.

What good tall fighters has he fought?

The answer is none 

Ruiz and Takam were by FAR his best opponents, so I don't think we can say it's only because they are short that he struggled with them
(12-13-2016, 03:19 PM)Kiwi Wrote: You guys are forgetting that "styles make fights". Parker simply does not enjoy the top echelon of tough 'short' guys - ie. Takam and Ruiz. Povetkin would be bad too.

I agree kiwi. Parker is average against come foward counter punchers.  He is best when he comes forward and lays his combos and breaks down his aponent. Fighting on the back foot ain't his style. At the moment tho AJ is ferocious, comes forward and can t off from out wide. Parker will need even better footwork and head movement to take that guy on.  
He is about to take on a tall guy, so this will confirm it one way or the other.

Wilder will like his chances. I can see that fight being made. A really great fight for Parker to take in my view. Big $$$$$.

And I think Wilder will very much underestimate Parker.
(12-13-2016, 03:56 PM)Kiwi Wrote: He is about to take on a tall guy, so this will confirm it one way or the other.

Wilder will like his chances. I can see that fight being made. A really great fight for Parker to take in my view. Big $$$$$.

And I think Wilder will very much underestimate Parker.

The pressure would be on Wilder as it would be his toughest test yet.