Heavyweight Division
Tyson Fury On Usyk: None Of The Top 15 Heavyweights Out There Are Sweating
November 9, 2020

Tyson Fury has given a pretty scathing review of Oleksandr Usyk's recent win over Dereck Chisora. Fury, looked at by most as the No1 heavyweight on the planet today, was not impressed by the former undisputed cruiserweight champion's 12 round decision win over Chisora; a man Fury has beaten twice.

Speaking with Talk Sport, the unbeaten Fury said that, basing things on Usyk’s performance against Chisora, “none of the top 15 heavyweights out there are sweating Oleksandr Usyk at the moment.” Fury says that against “a big heavyweight who can punch a bit,” Usyk will be “a lamb to the slaughter.”

“Did we see the best Oleksandr Usyk? I’m not sure,” Fury began. “Did we see the best Oleksandr Usyk at heavyweight? I don’t know. But on that performance, I can say that none of the top 15 heavyweights out there are sweating Usyk at the moment, unfortunately. None of us are quaking. Is that it? Everyone’s like, ‘Is that what all the hype was about?’ Being brutally honest, I think when he fights a big heavyweight who can punch a bit it’ll be like a lamb to the slaughter. My opinion of it is – it’s the heavyweight division and not the cruiserweight division for a reason. After his last performance, I honestly thought he was better than he was because I highly rated Oleksandr Usyk as a master technician as a cruiserweight. But at heavyweight, there was nothing that impressed me to be fair.”

It seems most fight fans generally agree with Fury; especially on the “he’s not big enough for the heavyweights” line of thinking. Usyk is a fine boxer, yet he has not carried anywhere near enough power up to heavyweight with him. Not enough to be able to put a dent in the monsters, anyway. Can you really picture Usyk beating a juggernaut like an Anthony Joshua or a nearly seven-foot-tall Fury?

But Usyk cannot drop back down in weight, he’s a heavyweight for keeps now. Maybe he can win a belt, maybe not. But it sure is hard to see Usyk making good his goal of becoming undisputed heavyweight king. He ain’t Evander Holyfield. That said, Usyk could go on to be involved in some interesting fights at heavyweight. Whether he wins them or not is another thing.
pretty accurate I think
I think that Usyk could be a lot of the top 15 heavyweights, mainly the ones who shouldn't be there. Trevor Bryan, ranked #1, comes to mind.
Upcoming fights in heavyweight division:

November 21
DAZN
Alexander Povetkin vs. Dillian Whyte
(WBC interim heavyweight title)

November 28

ESPN+
Joe Joyce vs. Daniel Dubois
(European heavyweight title)
Joyce looks forward to beating Dubois, being #1

Joe Joyce believes he is fighting for promotional priority, as well as the British and European titles, when he takes on Daniel Dubois in a huge heavyweight collision on November 28. Hall-of-Fame promoter Frank Warren has been in the corner of Dubois since setting him on the road to professional stardom in April of 2017 at the age of 19. The Peacock Gym product has more than lived up to his Dynamite billing and is, by common consensus, the best young heavyweight in the business.

‘Juggernaut’ Joyce, who joined the Queensberry ranks in May 2019 when he was first mandated to fight Dubois for the British title, wants a piece of the action and intends to ambush the ambitious plans laid out for his in-house rival.

“Right now, Daniel is a top boy for Queensberry and BT Sport so if I beat him, or when I beat him, I will be one to watch,” considered the 35-year-old Olympic silver medallist.

“According to Frank, the winner could potentially get a world title shot and that is definitely what I am in boxing for, so I am looking forward to beating Dubois and being #1.”

Dubois enjoys a lofty #2 ranking with the WBO behind only Oleksandr Usyk, who occupies top spot and mandatory position by virtue of moving up from cruiserweight as an undefeated champion.

Usyk is entitled to enforce a fight with the WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, but the Englishman first must negotiate an IBF obligation against Kubrat Pulev in December. If he then intends to enter into a two-fight booking with Tyson Fury, the WBO belt could well become up for grabs.

Enter Dubois or Joyce against Usyk.

“I know, imagine that, it would be unbelievable,” stated Joyce in eager anticipation. “I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself though because I’ve still got Dubois in my face to take on.”

Joyce, of course, suffered a defeat to Usyk in the World Boxing Series as a GB amateur and taking revenge as a pro, with a world title at stake, would be ideal retribution.

“I definitely wouldn’t be afraid of his power, more his skill really because he’s got good head movement. When I fought him it was quite an even fight, although he did catch me clean a few times, I had less defence and I was still a bit novicey back then.

“He was fresh off winning gold at London so he is a good fighter and I think the later rounds, especially with pro gloves on, would be the deciding factor if we got in the ring again.

“He wouldn’t be able to hurt me, which would be very dangerous for him.”

——————————————–

Dubois vs Joyce headlines a great night of boxing action, live on BT Sport 1 HD on November 28th.

On the undercard, highly touted Ilford youngster Hamzah Sheeraz (11-0-0, 7KO’s) will defend his WBO European Super-Welterweight title against canny Spaniard Guido Nicolas Pitto (26-7-2, 8KO’s). Sheeraz was last seen on 10th July 2020 when he impressively cut through 12-1 Scotsman Paul Kean in 6 comfortable rounds.

Jack Catterall (25-0-0, 13KO’s) will take on the French-based Tunisian Abderrazak Houya (14-2-0, 2KO’s) in a 10 round Super-Lightweight contest.

Catterall is the #1 ranked contender for Jose Ramirez’s WBO title and intends to challenge the winner of the potential unification fight between Ramirez and WBA/IBF Champion Josh Taylor, but only if he can overcome the challenge of Houya. The Tunisian-born fighter boasts a respectable professional record and represented his country at the London 2012 Olympics.

London Heavyweight David Adeleye (3-0-0, 3KO’s) returns to behind-closed-doors action for the third time when he battles Silsden’s Danny Whittaker (4-1-0). Whitaker is coming off a points win over Chris Healey and has previously beaten Jonathan Palata.

Jack Massey (16-1-0, 8KO’s) returns to action in an 8 round Cruiserweight contest against a fearsome puncher from the UAE, Mohammad Ali Bayat Farid (16-1-1, 16 KO’s).

Joshua Frankham (1-0-0) will return to Super-Welterweight action, Louie Lynn (7-0-0, 6KO’s) will look to follow up his 2nd round TKO from the 25th July and Henry Wharton backed Heavyweight Mitchell Barton will make his long awaited pro-debut.
Dubois by stoppage for me, I really think Dubois is the real thing. His left jab reminds me of Larry Holmes.
BOXING NEWS
Dave Allen on Benn-Formella undercard

After having fights with Christian Hammer and Christopher Lovejoy fall through, heavyweight cult hero Dave “White Rhino” Allen (18-5-2, 15 KOs) returns to the ring November 21 on the Benn-Formella undercard in London. Opponent is TBA.

Two other heavyweight fights were also added. Unbeaten Alen Babic (5-0, 5 KOs) looks to continue his red-hot run of form against Tom Little (10-8, 3 KOs), and Fabio Wardley (9-0, 8 KOs) takes on Richard Lartey (14-3, 11 KOs).
Couple of lower level but very interesting HW fights there
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/54949746
I thought Allen was on the undercard this weekend? Maybe that will be his last fight. Very honest article.