Ward v Kovalev in 2 weeks time
Kovalev-Ward Post Fight Press Conference

By Miguel Maravilla

Newly crowned WBA, WBO, and IBF light heavyweight champion Andre Ward and former champ Sergey Kovalev spoke to the press after Ward’s narrow unanimous decision victory on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Sergey Kovalev: “Thanks for your support. I am happy about peoples’ opinion but I think I won this fight. Of course, I am disappointed but life is still good. The fight was more clearer than the decision. I don’t agree with the decision.

“Everybody saw what happened. Look at his face, look at my face. I didn’t think I won the fight because I hurt him first but because I kept controlling the fight, but he kept running from me. Let’s make the second fight!”

Kovalev’s promoter Kathy Duva: “I feel like I have mixed emotions. We had a great fight. It’s what boxing needed but we did not deserve this decision. It’s a shame two guys fought their hearts out but this is not the decision. I am pissed like I was when Pernell got robbed against Chavez.

“We have the right for an immediate rematch and we will get them in the ring. It will be immediate.”

Andre Ward: “It was a good night tonight. I would love to have every fight a shutout but you have to win a lot of fights like this. We had a tough fight and we did what champions do and that is get off the canvas. I have been in some tough fights. He knocked me down. I really wasn’t hurt. It was a flash knockdown, and over the rounds I feel I broke him down. I got up tonight and then I went to take the fight to him. The urgency forced me to step on the gas more.

“Virgil did a great job of telling me we needed every single round. I feel I needed every round and leave no doubt.

“I have never ducked or dodged anyone but we are going to entertain all best offers. A second fight would be a lot more clear cut because I have been in with him.”

Virgil Hunter (Ward’s trainer): “Sergey had certain tendencies he was aggressive but he fought on his back foot. He did not want to fight on the inside and left himself open for clean punches and that’s what made the difference.”

Michael Yormark (Ward’s promoter): “Tonight we saw a great fight between Andre and Sergey. I couldn’t be more proud of him. He is the new champion.”

Messages In This Thread
Ward v Kovalev in 2 weeks time - Infern0 - 11-02-2016, 10:24 PM
RE: Ward v Kovalev in 2 weeks time - Kiwi - 11-20-2016, 03:16 PM
RE: Ward v Kovalev in 2 weeks time - diehard - 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM