Loma/Haney. Sunday
Haney survives Loma, still undisputed

By Miguel Maravilla at ringside

Undefeated and undisputed lightweight king Devin “The Dream” Haney (30-0, 15 KOs) retained all of the belts in a hard fought twelve round unanimous decision over former three-weight world champion Vasiliy “Loma” Lomachenko (17-3, 11 KOs) on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Loma started faster than normal. It was a highly tactical fast-paced bout with both fighters having their moments. Loma came on strong down the stretch with clean left hands. In the end, judges had it 116-112, 115-113, 115-113 for Haney.

The size difference was evident from the opening bell. Haney jabbed as Lomachenko punched in bunches and was more productive in the first. Haney connected with a right hand in round two but Lomachenko connected flush on the inside with combinations. Lomachenko kept up the pace in round three as Haney still appeared to be making adjustments. Stalking and keeping up the fast pace, Lomachenko lurked as Haney was fighting off his backfoot jabbing, Lomachenko slipped and took Haney with him as things got a little rough.

The referee issued a warning to Haney in the fifth for shoving with his forearm, shortly after Lomachenko got the better of Haney backing him to the ropes with a combination. Haney began to go to the body and get inside in round six but Lomachenko countered with fast combinations, shortly after Haney was issued another warning this time for holding and hitting behind the head. In the eighth, Haney pressed more as Lomachenko tagged with counters but shortly after Lomachenko ran into a stiff punch from Haney stopping his momentum. The jab was effective for Haney in the eighth, neutralizing Lomachenko’s movement and speed.

Working off the jab in the ninth, Haney and Lomachenko boxed as Haney was fighting off his backfoot, Lomachenko pressed. Late in the fight in the tenth, Lomachenko connected with a flush combination as he stopped Haney’s momentum. A solid right hand by Lomachenko in the eleventh backed Haney as the former world champion and two time gold medalist seemed comfortable in the championship rounds. The twelfth and final round saw Lomachenko pressing as Haney sticked and moved most of the round.

After completing twelve competitive rounds the judges scores were 116-112, 115-113, and 115-113 as Devin Haney pulls out an unpopular unanimous decision.
https://fightnews.com/haney-lomachenko-official-scorecard/148148
Lomachenko Postfight Press Conference

By Miguel Maravilla

At the post-fight press conference, Vasiliy “Loma” Lomachenko (17-3, 11 KOs) talked about his defeat to undisputed lightweight champion Devin “The Dream” Haney (30-0, 15 KOs) Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. In a fight that saw Lomachenko do everything possible and in the end he came up short as Haney pulled out a controversial unanimous decision win.

Here is what Loma had to say at the post fight press conference.

“It is what it is, I want to say thank you. Bob, your company gave me a second chance. See you next time…I know I won the fight. I controlled the fight and every round.”

Promoter Bob Arum added, “Everybody was stunned about the score, but I’m not going to comment on the score. I am the promoter.”

Lomachenko’s manager Egis Klimas announced that Team Lomachenko will file a protest with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

“This is the biggest robbery. For the other team, Christmas came in the summer. We will appeal but we want to show there has to be justice. Somebody needs to end this injustice.”
Teddy Atlas Wants Judge Moretti To Appear Before NSAC To Explain Haney-Loma Scoring
BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Sun May 21, 2023, 06:38 PM EDT

Trainer and boxing analyst Teddy Atlas is fuming over one of the scorecards for Saturday's fight between Devin Haney and Vasiliy Lomachenko.

At the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Haney retained his undisputed lightweight crown with a twelve round unanimous decision over Lomachenko.

The judges scored it 116-112, 115-113 and 115-113.

According to most observers, Lomachenko had done enough to pull out a win.

Judge Dave Moretti handed in the 116-112 scorecard - handing Haney a win by an eight round tally. Most felt the contest, at worst, was a 7-5 fight in either direction or a straight draw.

Adding to the controversy, Moretti scored the tenth round for Haney - a round that was widely viewed as one of the best rounds of the fight for Lomachenko. In that round, Lomachenko landed 11 of 49 punches while Haney only connected with 5 punches out of 25.

Atlas wants Moretti to appear before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to explain why he scored the tenth round for Haney.

“I can live with the two scores I guess, but not the 116-112. Someone told me that Dave Moretti gave 10th round to Haney, if that’s true he should be brought in front of commission to explain," Atlas stated.

“If Nevada Commission doesn’t call Moretti in and make him explain giving 10th to Haney, then we should start petition to disband them. I need to see if it’s taxpayers money that runs Nevada commission, if so then citizens really need to stand up."

Haney and his handlers have made it clear that there won't be a rematch for Lomachenko.
I watched the fight at work and couldn't have any sound on so no crowd noise, no commentary.

I found it very dull and difficult to score, many of the rounds I would be thinking "well, the first one who lands something of any significance can steal the round" and sometimes, neither would.

Loma took some rounds with his flurries, some rounds Haney took via jab and body punches.

I had loma up by 2 going into the 12th, I thought he would take the 12th and win, but he took the round off, considering I had close rounds and a very close score I figured Haney would get the win as the champion fighting at home and he did.

Definatley not a robbery, there's always hysteria online when a big fight has a close, controversial decision, it was a very debatable score, I think both were risk averse and neither could complain if they didn't get the W