Parker vs Joyce Sept. 24th
Analysis: Joseph Parker falls in ring but rises in UK popularity
Patrick McKendry

All the talk and the many hundreds of words written about Joseph Parker’s professional career heading back into the “unknown” after his defeat to Joe Joyce may be missing the point.

Parker, who stated immediately after his TKO defeat to Englishman Joyce that he wants to get back into the ring as soon as possible, has never been more popular in the United Kingdom and that matters in the world of pay-per-views and broadcasting deals.

Yes, another title challenge appears unlikely but even had he beaten Joyce and won the re-match, the path to Oleksandr Usyk or Tyson Fury or whoever the WBO heavyweight world champion is next year or the year after would not have been smooth.

The clock is ticking on his career; Parker, 30, has previously said he wants to retire in his early 30s, but he has signed a “multi-fight” deal (terms unknown) with promoters Boxxer, and will likely make plenty more money before he calls it quits as Sunday’s performance will help burnish his reputation as a charismatic athlete with a warrior spirit.

It's a disappointing setback as far as his world title hopes are concerned because he entered the ring supremely confident after a meticulous training camp but his hunger remains and his reaction to the defeat spoke volumes about his mentality and character.

Putting aside for a minute the physical and psychological damage the defeat may or may not have had on Parker following a loss to a big and athletic man who appears to have one of the best cardiovascular systems in the heavyweight division (and one of the hardest heads), this was a hugely entertaining fight and it revealed plenty about both men.

UK boxing fans – and this is clearly Parker’s market now as his home away from Auckland is in Morecambe, the seaside town in the north of England – appreciate action and courage in the ring and they like to identify with fighters. They also like value for money.

Englishman Dillian Whyte still has a big following despite a less than perfect record because of his all-action style, and a re-match against Whyte, who is coming off a stoppage loss to Parker’s good friend Fury, would be a hugely popular (and relatively lucrative) fight for Parker.

The average fan isn’t necessarily drawn in by boxing excellence but by notoriety (see Mike Tyson), and, or, likeability and relatability.

Therefore, the manner of Parker’s defeat to Joyce in the 11th round in Manchester – his first stoppage loss as a professional - and his conduct afterwards, would have endeared himself hugely to audiences in the UK and further afield.

Parker has been criticised previously in the UK for being an overly technical and conservative boxer, but, like it or not, that probably no longer applies.

Under coach Andy Lee, who has overseen his last three fights, Parker appears to have more self belief and faith in his power, albeit without his previously snappy jab and ability to throw in combinations, and, as the pair analyse the defeat, those failures may become apparent.

His punching volume and head and feet movement decreased from the end of the second round which may raise other questions about his conditioning and weight (he was at a career-high 115.7kg).

Regardless, Parker struck Joyce with some fearsome left hooks and straight rights which would probably have hurt many others in the division, but the relentless Joyce was untroubled.

That may say less about Parker’s one-punch power, and more about Joyce’s ability to take a punch, however.

It was a remarkable performance from Joyce, whose output over the final three quarters of the fight was spectacular, and the 37-year-old’s quality and performance shouldn’t be underestimated.

Is Parker heading into the unknown? Boxers in the modern professional heavyweight era generally operate in just that area as far as their careers are concerned because in no other sport does self-interested politics and deal-making intersect with the concussive blows inflicted by fists wearing 10oz gloves.

There are few certainties in his sport and Parker knows that as well as anyone. He just wants to keep going for now and there is no doubt he will pick up a few new fans along the way.
Boxing: Sir Bob Jones calls for Joseph Parker to end his boxing career after latest defeat
NZ Herald
28 Sep, 2022 06:30 AM

Joseph Parker's former manager Sir Bob Jones has called for the former heavyweight champion to end his boxing career following his 11th round knockout defeat to Joe Joyce over the weekend.

The 30-year-old Parker (30-3) suffered his first-ever defeat by KO when Joyce landed a left-handed blow to send the Kiwi-Samoan to the canvas. With the victory, Joyce becomes the interim WBO champion, putting him next in line to fight Oleksandr Usyk for the belt.

While defeat leaves Parker in a career crossroads as he faces a new, and longer, path to reach title contention again.

Jones, who quit as Parker's manager in 2013 after clashing with promoters Duco Events over the suitability of the heavyweight boxing prodigy's opponents early in his career, told D'Arcy Waldegrave on Newstalk ZB's Sportstalk the fight was 'a little bit humiliating'.

"I don't think anyone enjoyed watching what happened. I know it sounds wise after the event, but you'll have to take my word for it, I wasn't surprised. I thought it was a poor pick for Joseph, he shouldn't have taken it. He [Joyce] reminds me a bit of George Forman, another generation back, of just powering through people and Joseph is not a strong fighter….I didn't think he'd last frankly. I thought he lasted a hell of a lot longer than he should have. He ducked from corner to corner and it just wasn't a happy spectacle.

"Joseph has reached his optimum," Jones added.

"He shouldn't have taken that bout. He hasn't got the firepower, as we all know, to resist it. They're building up this chap [Joyce] and they wouldn't have taken on Joseph if they didn't think they couldn't beat him. So it was a little bit humiliating. I thought he lasted a lot longer than I expected him to do."

Jones added that now is the time for Parker to end his career.

"What does Joseph do now? I would like to see him retire frankly," he told SportsTalk.

"He's had a fun time. An interesting time. He should be choosing something else to do with his life."

Jones cut his ties with the Parker camp over a disagreement in the fights he was taking to build up his record including his 2013 bout against 44-year-old Francois Botha. He discredits Parker's WBO world heavyweight title, won in 2016 with a majority decision over Andy Ruiz due to the fact there are too many organisations in world boxing.

"Joseph had good skills. A nice fellow and all that sort of thing but he ain't the world champion, never has been, never will be. Not quite up to it."

Parker has a long term deal with Sky Sport UK and a rematch with Brit Dillian Whyte, who handed him his second defeat in 2018, would be an attractive prospect for the UK market over the likes bouts against fellow WBO ranked fighters Otto Wallin (24-1) of Sweden or Croatian Fillip Hrgovic (15-0).

"It's not progress," Jones said about a potential rematch with 34-year-old Whyte. "Nobody is going to take notice of that result because both of them are well and truly over as contenders. He could fight Whyte but would anyone want to watch it? I wouldn't."
oe Joyce's surprising revelation after his post-fight chat with Joseph Parker
Stuff sports reporters
15:57, Sep 28 2022

A brave Joseph Parker went down fighting in an 11th round knockout loss to Joe Joyce in Manchester.
Joe Joyce has backed Joseph Parker to “come again” after his stunning 11th round knockout of the Kiwi in their WBO interim world heavyweight title fight in Manchester last weekend.

Joyce (15-0, 14 KOs) underlined his growing reputation as one of the top heavyweights in the heated division when he became the first man to beat Parker (30-3, 21 KOs) inside the distance.

After a thrilling, back-and-forth battle at Manchester Arena in which Parker landed some heavy blows of his own, Joyce closed the show with a ferocious left hook that sent the exhausted New Zealander crashing to the canvas.

While Parker bravely made it to his feet, he was unable to beat the referee’s count and is now left to ponder the third defeat of his 33-fight career.

Joyce, by contrast, will move on to a mandatory shot at the WBO belt currently held by Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk (20-0, 13 KOs).

A battered Parker has won praise for the way he graciously responded to his latest setback and he and Joyce met up after the fight to discuss their bruising encounter.

Joe Joyce proved too big and strong for Joseph Parker in their WBO interim world title bout last weekend.
And Joyce revealed that Parker was keen to get in the ring with him again once his war wounds have healed – albeit for some sparring.

“I feel pretty fresh, apart from my muscles are aching a lot,” a triumphant Joyce told iFL TV, as he reflected on the best win of his professional career.

“I'm in good spirits, for obvious reasons. Got a shiny new belt and had a great fight and a great knockout victory against Joseph Parker. What a tough and game opponent he is, and skilful as well. I have a lot of respect for him and obviously spoke to him as well today.

“He's going to be heading back out to New Zealand and get a sun tan, eat some mango he says. But he also mentioned that he'd like to spar me again as well, so I might head out to Morecambe for the next training camp, before I head back out to Vegas.

“Be quite good to do some rounds with him.”

Despite the magnitude of their fight with a world title shot at stake, Joyce and Parker were respectful of each other in the buildup aside from some light-hearted trash talk.

That respect has only grown after sharing the ring and Joyce insisted the 30-year-old Aucklander was far from done in the sport and remained among the heavyweight elite.

“He's young and he's still fresh and he's definitely going to come again,” Joyce told iFL TV of his vanquished opponent.

“It was a great fight. He really pushed me and showed me what it was like at elite level, to fight an elite level fighter. From here, it will put me in good stead for whoever I take on next.”

Parker has vowed to bounce back and plans to return to the ring before the end of the year.

Joe Joyce says he may take up Joseph Parker's offer for sparring in Morecambe ahead of his next fight.

He would be prepared to jump straight back in with Dillian Whyte, who beat him in controversial fashion in 2018 and is coming off a knockout loss to Fury in April.

“I’d love to fight Dillian Whyte, if he’s free and available, and there’s nothing locked in for him’’, Parker told ID Boxing.

“If we can make it happen, it would be great because the first fight was a close fight and a tough fight.

“We can make it a more exciting fight the second time around.”
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2022/09/boxing-more-big-fights-loom-for-joseph-parker-despite-loss-to-joe-joyce-insists-new-promoter.html
Just watched the fight again. Parker was in it the first half of the fight. He made good gains when he hit JJ in the centre of the ring. Then, when JJ responded, he went straight to the ropes. He Had to keep punching and circling to match JJ's intensity. He just ran out of puff as the rounds progressed, and JJ didn't. Granted, JP was getting hit a lot, but if had kept punching instead of moving backwards he had a better chance. JJ had more intensity.
Easier said than done Die, JP has never had the capacity for that required work rate your speaking of.... few HW's do. I also rewatched the fight and JP did better than i thought, if he can get a balance between that weight/aggression/ speed I reckon he has some really good fights to come.
No way he out works out cardios Joyce
Difficult but not impossible.  I'd start with the weight gain.  I think he concentrated more on his power and wanting to trade rather than move and throwing heaps of punches.  Wrong strategy.  Surely JJ is not so fit fitness-wise that JP can't match him.

I look at fights from a strategic point of view.  What could have JP done differently to win the fight.  He KNEW about JJ's work rate.  He KNEW JJ could take a hard punch.  And yet he played into JJ's strengths.  It's why Jennings lasted 12 rounds with JJ.  He just didn't have enough power to win the fight.  But what Jennings did was the right idea.

As Sun Tzu says:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”