GGG vs Canelo Rematch, SKY, Sunday
Canelo: My plan was to knock him out

By Miguel Maravilla

Newly crowned WBC and WBA middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) was victorious over longtime champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez spoke to the media on his decision victory at the postfight press conference.

“Thank you all and everyone that believed in me,” said Canelo. “I am happy with the victory. It wasn’t easy. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the knockout. We worked hard to get the win. I want to thank my trainer Eddie and Chepo Reynoso who took me in as a kid and showed me everything I do.”

“My plan was to score the knockout. I had a tough opponent but we got the victory. I am satisfied with the work we did today. I’m happy that’s what got us the win. This is a very important victory for me and my country,”

“Today is one of the happiest days in my life!”

Canelo expects to return to the ring quickly. “I will speak with my team and see what the plans are. The idea is to fight in December,” he revealed.

Canelo’s trainer Eddie Reynoso spoke briefly. “We studied the last fight and we changed and worked on strategy to have Golovkin fight off his back foot…moving him back.”

Promoter Oscar de la Hoya commented, “We had an amazing event. It lived up to its expectation. They gave us a hell of a fight. Canelo didn’t run like everyone said. He boxed and held his own this time.” (Spanish)

Oscar confirmed that Canelo is scheduled to return in December. “First we have to analyze what’s next. He’s cut so it all depends. A fight with Lemieux is possible for December in New York,” he concluded.

Messages In This Thread
RE: GGG vs Canelo Rematch, SKY, Sunday - diehard - 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM