NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Rounds 4 and 5 better for Robbie but Fox Sports blog says Hardman won round 4. Robbie was cut at end of round three now blood from nose and mouth. sounds like a good fight!!
Seems like Robbie needs a some magic with two rounds to go
Jamie Pandaram
4m
Hardman stops Berridge with a body shot in 8th and final round. Dominated from the opening bell
Huni goes the distance against Tsoye

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Australian heavyweight champion Justis Huni (4-0, 3 KOs) went the distance for the first time in his pro career, taking a one-sided ten round unanimous decision over Christian Ndzie Tsoye (5-4-2, 4 KOs) on Wednesday night at the ICC Exhibition Centre, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Huni was in command all the way, but didn’t come close to stopping Tsoye. Scores were 98-92, 99-91, 99-91.

Next up for Huni is a June 16 clash with Australia’s biggest boxing PPV attraction former rugby league star Paul Gallen.

Unbeaten light heavyweight Isaac Hardman (10-0, 8 KOs) stopped veteran Robert Berridge (30-8-4, 22 KOs) in round eight.
North Island Golden Gloves on Sky's YouTube tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/fciaI36qL8E
Andrei Mikhailovich stopped Alex Hanan in the second round of an ill tempered, all kiwi fight over in Australia on the undercard of Huni/Gallen. Both fighters entered the bout unbeaten, Hanan punched Andrei in the stomach when the ref ordered them to touch gloves before the first bell. Christchurchs Nort Beauchamp got stopped late on against unbeaten Aussie Sam Goodman. Mikhailovich wants Isaac Hardman next who also won on the undercard, Hardman of coarse beat comebacking kiwi Robbie Berridge last month.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/kiwi-boxer-dishes-instant-karma-early-tko-after-rivals-pre-fight-cheap-shot
Jason Taumaolo, Brandon Smith and more NRL stars set to enter boxing ring despite boss' warning

Taumalolo is poised to enter the boxing ring for the first time this summer with the revelation coming on the same day Peter V'landys warned players not to fight for their own safety.

Jason Taumalolo runs onto the pitch for the round one fixture against the Panthers. Source: Getty
ARL Commission chairman V'landys on Friday urged for players to stop boxing as part of the game's crusade against concussions and head knocks.

But the advice is set to fall on deaf ears, with NRL players Brandon Smith, Addin Fonua-Blake, Junior Paulo and Taumalolo to fight on an undercard for Justis Huni and Junior Fa.

The football fight night will be squeezed between the grand final and the World Cup in Townsville.
"We've got their contracts locked in, we have a contract with Townsville council locked in," promoter Dean Lonergan told AAP.
But the news won't go down well with V'landys, who before the news on Friday said he wanted players to stay out of the ring.
"It worries me considerably. It's any hit to the head. If you get hit to the head consistently it will cause lifelong damage," V'landys told 2GB on Friday morning.

"That's what the neurologists are telling me. It doesn't have to go to the stage of concussion, it's just a constant hit to the head.
"And that's proven in other sports where kids aren't allowed to head the ball in soccer at the moment until a certain age.
"If they are boxing in the off-season that is a concern to us, because they shouldn't be doing it."
V'landys' comments come after Paul Gallen spent 10 rounds being belted by Olympics-bound Huni on Wednesday night, before he lost on TKO.

However, the game's boss accepted he would not be able to stop players fighting.
"You can't stop an individual's right to do what they want to do," he said.
"But for their own welfare and own health, they have to consider it. Playing rugby league and doing boxing as well could have lifetime ramifications."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/sonny-bill-williams-survived-six-year-boxing-scare-calls-out-barry-hall/TJMCUWYL7YGXWDXFAJRE2Y43XQ/
Flanagan and Sonny Bill victorious

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Former world cruiserweight challenger Mark “Bam Bam” Flanagan (24-8, 17 KOs) stopped Benjamin Kelleher (14-2-2, 4 KOs) to capture the vacant Australian cruiserweight crown on Saturday at the Entertainment Centre in Townsville, Queensland, Australia. Referee Chris Condon crowned Flanagan in round five.

On the undercard, Rugby union and rugby league football legend Sonny Bill Williams (8-0, 3 KOs) returned to the ring after six years of inactivity to score a close six round points victory over cruiserweight Faikato Falefhi (2-15, 2 KOs). Falefhi dropped Williams in round two but he recovered to be awarded the decision by scores of 57-56, 57-56, 57-56. Williams has a ten round victory over former IBF heavyweight champion Frans Botha in 2013.

Williams is eyeing million dollar fights with fellow football legends Paul Gallen and Barry Hall, which could happen later in 2021.

“I hope so, hopefully I can get a fight or two in before then and sharpen up a bit more,” Williams told the Townsville Bulletin. “It felt good (coming back), until I got a couple of those bombs. That is the sport of boxing. You don’t play boxing, that is for sure. I am just doing my due diligence to respect the sport.

“It was pretty hard, but after five years out I would expect nothing different. I hope everyone enjoyed that, I know where I am as a boxer, but I am just trying to learn as much as I can.”