NZBoxChat
Fury/Whyte - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Fury/Whyte (/showthread.php?tid=979)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Fury/Whyte - bart - 04-24-2022

Fury just too many levels above
Whyte tried but was exhausting himself in the process, Fury so calm and relaxed -started to have fun when he saw Whyte drained- was only a matter of time.
AJ fight would be a good finish to career but only if AJ manages to win v Usyk which most likely won't.
I see Fury doing Floyd like exhibition tours for big $$ - fighting in Saudi

RE: Fury/Whyte - diehard - 04-24-2022

Yeah, Whyte was tiring. He needed to go for it early and leave it all in the ring. Instead he stupidly boxed southpaw, and then boxed at range. Idiot. His trainer acted like that's not how they trained.

Retirement? He uses a lot of maybe's and conditional language. He's not retiring, especially if AJ beats Usyk.

https://fightnews.com/fury-kos-whyte-in-six/131118

Tyson Fury knocks out Dillian Whyte, then announces retirement
By Patrick McKendry, Digital Sport Reporter

Tyson Fury has defended his WBC world heavyweight title bout with a stunning knockout victory over Dillian Whyte – an all-English fight played out in front of a record 94,000 crowd at Wembley Stadium, after which the self-styled Gypsy King announced his retirement.

If Fury stands by his statements in the ring after a perfect right uppercut sent Whyte sprawling to the canvas in the sixth round, he will be leaving the sport at a time when his popularity has never been higher.

“I promised my lovely wife Paris… that after the Wilder 3 fight that would be it,” Fury said. “But I meant it, and we had a war and it was a great trilogy and I meant that. But I got offered to fight at Wembley at home and I owed it to the fans… but now that it’s all done I have to be a man of my word – I think this is it, this might be the final curtain for the Gypsy King and what a way to go out."

The 33-year-old has transcended the sport following the Deontay Wilder trilogy and his return to English soil to demolish Whyte.

Fury made the long walk to the ring to a variety of songs, including his trademark Don McLean American Pie number – featuring an on-screen cameo by the artist himself – sat on a throne on a stage, and then, after jettisoning his robe, he jogged to the ring, chased by his entourage. The accompanying fireworks were matched by the quality of his finishing blow.

All the while Whyte, a mandatory challenger since 2017, waited patiently in the ring for the opportunity he has been craving for so long and yet was patently so unsuited for. The 34-year-old was always going to struggle to get close enough to hurt his giant opponent, and a lack of foot speed and agility added to his issues.

Fury was in control of the fight from the first bell, despite Whyte surprising many by switching to a southpaw stance in round one.

The challenger reverted to orthodox from round two onwards but couldn’t get close to Fury and although his rough-house tactics annoyed Fury at times – with both boxers warned by referee Mark Lyson for not stopping on his break call - Whyte came off the worst, a cut near his right eye opening up from a clash of heads in round four.

Fury, controlling the pace and distance, upped the tempo in round five and brought the evening to a close with a punch he admitted was one of the best he has thrown in his professional career. “I think Lennox Lewis would have been proud of that right uppercut,” Fury said.

Incidentally, New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker, whose next fight against Joe Joyce was announced during the event, predicted a round six knockout victory for his friend and training partner.

Whyte beat referee Lyson’s count but stumbled into the official and was in no fit state to continue. It was the third loss of Whyte’s career. His most recent loss was against Alexander Povetkin and it finished in a similar way; he is a tough and brave fighter but he has always been susceptible to the uppercut. Fury remains undefeated after 33 fights.

“Dillian Whyte is a warrior and I believe Dillian will be a world champion but tonight he met a great in the sport," Fury said. "I’m one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and unfortunately for Dillian Whyte he had to face me here tonight. There’s no disgrace, he’s a tough, game, man, he’s as strong as a bull and he’s got a heart of a lion, but you’re not messing with a mediocre heavyweight. You’re messing with the best man on the planet.

“I just want to say I’m overwhelmed with the support,” Fury said.

At the end of the interview, Fury was asked if he had a final word for his many fans. “I can do better than that,” he said, before launching into a potentially final performance of American Pie.

If that's the end, we're unlikely to see his like again.

RE: Fury/Whyte - mippy - 04-24-2022

I think Tyson will go again. I see a unifying fight later on this year, and then retire as the undisputed

Very underwhelming undercard. Just watched it from taping it. Mis-matches. The two main undercards were ok, especially Ball. 5'4" of dynamite.

RE: Fury/Whyte - diehard - 04-25-2022

Sugar Hill awarded WBC Trainer’s Belt

In Saturday’s KO win, WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury showed great power and boxing skills honed by his trainer Sugar Hill Steward. After the fight, Sugar Hill received the WBC Trainers Belt inspired by the traditional towel used by all trainers.

Sugar Hill is the nephew of legendary trainer Emanuel Steward, head of Detroit’s iconic Kronk Gym, where dozens of champions have been trained. Sugar Hill and Fury first met at the Kronk in 2010. He reconnected with Fury 2019 and trained him to win the WBC title against Deontay Wilder in February 2020, repeating the feat in October 2021, and then for Saturday’s stellar performance against Dillian Whyte.

Sugar Hill had previously worked as a chef and a police officer, before following in his uncle’s footsteps via boxing training full-time. With Fury, he has really bonded and they have made a very successful team.

RE: Fury/Whyte - diehard - 04-25-2022

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/bob-arum-says-tyson-fury-wont-retire-are-you-crazy/219647

RE: Fury/Whyte - diehard - 04-26-2022

Whyte: I should have had time to recover

Heavyweight title challenger Dillian Whyte says his fight against Tyson Fury shouldn’t have been stopped. “I was buzzed but obviously I was trying to regather my senses and he proper pushed me and I fell over and hit my head on the canvas which is illegal,” Whyte told Sky Sports. “He full on, two-handed pushed me. It wasn’t like a one-armed thing.

“Terrible job from the referee there, but it is, what it is. I should have had time to recover, time to go back to my corner, but Tyson Fury gets away with a lot of things.

“He said he would retire. I hope he doesn’t retire because I want another go.”

RE: Fury/Whyte - bart - 04-26-2022

Denial

RE: Fury/Whyte - diehard - 04-26-2022

He should watch the tape. I think Whyte is in JP's situation now. He can still compete with the top 5 heavyweights, but not Fury. He blew it.