NZBoxChat
NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. (/showthread.php?tid=778)

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 12-26-2022

Cieslak took him the distance, and it was mainly holding, rough and tumble. He could take Okolie's punches though. Okolie uses his left jab, which is good, as a measuring stick for that right hand. Also goes well to the body. Was really tiring and holding at the end. I'm feeling better about Light's chances if he develops, along with Peach, a good fight plan.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 12-28-2022

David Light's Coach Confident They Can Shock Lawrence Okolie
BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Tue Dec 27, 2022, 11:25 PM EST

Earlier this month, the WBO confirmed that cruiserweight champion Lawrence Okolie would make a mandatory defense against David Light in London on March 11.

Light secured the mandatory crack with an upset twelve round split decision over Brandon Glanton in Florida.

Light's head trainer Isaac Peach is pleased with the scheduled date.

"It's perfect," Peach told RNZ. "It gives us a month of recouping [David's] body and then we've got a 10-week camp to that date. It's absolutely perfect."

Okolie, regarded as the best fighter in his weight class, will be a huge favorite to defeat Light.

Not intimidated by the odds, Peach believes his boxer has the proper skills to pull off the upset.

"Okolie is the best champion in the [cruiserweight] division. He's huge, six-foot-five, is a massive puncher and knocks most people out," Peach said.

"It's a big test but I also think he's a bit vulnerable in some areas, so it's up to us to exploit those. We're going to be big underdogs, but I think we're going to win.

"I don't think it's sunk in at all. It's pretty unbelievable and it seems like a bit of a dream. It's been a goal for everyone in the gym and for one of them to be here now is crazy. 2022 was huge but 2023 is going to be even bigger. They're all ready to take whatever big fights get thrown at us."

Light's official training camp would begin on New Years Day, with the team planning to arrive in the UK two weeks before the fight against Okolie.

The only issue with the fight is an ongoing legal dispute between Okolie and promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing. Okolie believes his promotional contact is up, Hearn disagrees.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 12-29-2022

Boxing: David Light looking to give Lawrence Okolie ‘his hardest scrap’ in March world title bout
Christopher Reive

When he steps into the ring in March, Kiwi cruiserweight David Light will be ready to take the fight to WBO champion Lawrence Okolie.

Light earned the status of mandatory challenger to Okolie’s world title after handing American fighter Brandon Glanton his first career loss, a fight that ended a dream run in 2022 for the 31-year-old which also included two quick knockout wins.

Now boasting a 20-0 record, Light will travel to enemy territory in his bid to become a world champion with he and Okolie set to square off in London on March 12. A venue for the bout is yet to be announced.

While Light has had an active year, Okolie has not fought since claiming a unanimous decision nod over Michal Cieslak in February.

Since Light’s win over Glanton early in December, Okolie has been active on social media addressing the impending meeting between himself and the hard-hitting Kiwi both directly and indirectly – including posting footage of himself training, using a photo of Light getting his hand raised as motivation.

“People have been telling me a lot about it but I’m not the biggest social media user. I’ve got to find it and have a look,” Light told the Herald with a laugh.

“I think he’s been out a long time and hasn’t had much to train for. Now he does, so he’s trying to set himself up. I get that. I don’t think he’s got anything personal against me.”

It’s quite the opposite. Okolie (18-0; 14 KO) has been quick to praise his counterpart when talking about the upcoming bout, noting he has been aware of Light for years, and that the skill and style of the Kiwi poses a tough challenge.

“I think he’s probably right. I’ve actually earned this shot to have a scrap with him. I’ve been in it for a while, and he’s just put his other opposition away pretty easily so I definitely hope this will be his hardest scrap,” Light said.

Since returning to New Zealand from his win over Glanton, Light has been straight back to work with coach Isaac Peach at Auckland’s Peach Boxing gym. However, his training camp proper will start on New Year’s Day as they prepare for the challenge Okolie poses.

Light will go into the fight having to navigate a significant size disadvantage, with Okolie about 10cm taller than the Kiwi and possessing an even more substantial advantage in reach.

It’s a puzzle Light was excited to try and work out, with the agreed date for the fight giving him plenty of time to do so.

“It’s sweet as for me. I thought it was going to be March 4 so it gives me another week. I feel like we’ve organised most of our camp now, so I’m feeling pretty confident.

“You’re sort of just waiting to get it all set in so you know what’s happening,” he added of having the date confirmed.

“Now, you know it’s going to happen and you’ve got to be ready. It definitely feels real now.”

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 01-27-2023

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/300792700/hes-never-been-tested-david-lights-trainer-plans-to-expose-quite-limited-lawrence-okolie

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-09-2023

Be good to see JP get on this card, as he's not a main event anymore.

https://www.boxingscene.com/okolie-light-wbo-title-fight-set-march-25-ao-arena-manchester-jack-catterall-also-on-show--172345

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-18-2023

DAZN raises subscription price

DAZN has announced that effective March 23, the monthly subscription price in the USA will be $24.99 a month or $224.99 a year. There is also an option to lock in $19.99 a month with a twelve month contract.

When the service started, it was $9.99 a month. Then the price was upped to $19.99 a month or $99 a year.

DAZN stated that the new pricing is “reflective of the steady increase in live sports and original content.”

The streaming service assures that long-term partnerships with Golden Boy and Matchroom mean that subscribers will get a boxing schedule of at least 50 top-tier fight nights annually as well as discounted PPV events and nonstop access to a multitude of other sporting events such as celebrity crossover boxing, MMA, women’s soccer, darts, pool and more.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-18-2023

Remember when it was $3? Everyone give to the Eddie Hearn relief fund!

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - bart - 02-18-2023

amazing price hike- probably the plan all along- no way they were making enough on the original price
But not worth new $$

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-19-2023

No really top line fights for the next month.  Some intermediate ones though.  Looking forward to the Tszyu/Harrison fight.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-26-2023

https://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/lawrence-okolie-vs-david-light/6897