NZBoxChat
NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. (/showthread.php?tid=778)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-07-2021

Tim Tszyu vs ???

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - markk - 03-07-2021

I recon they are targeting that division for money fight in future.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-07-2021

Sorry markk, but who is they?  I reckon Tszyu should be targeting Charlo or Castano and go for the title.  Both fights would be difficult, but hey, if it's not difficult, why bother?

On another note, it sounds like Di Bella has big plans for Jr.  Do you see him going to the US next?  And well done with the Parker fight.  Fa showed me that he can really box in that fight.  Now we need to get those fast twitches and his blood sorted out.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - markk - 03-07-2021

sorry Andrei Mikhailovich is who I meant.

will be back training next Monday. will go agin in 4.5 months in sates or possible Aus fight. fibre very good considering he has a reach of 2.10. will always take longer to target with that reach but I believe he does that well. Next weeks blood test will be interesting but I suspect very positive.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - African Monkey - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 11:17 AM)markk Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 06:34 PM)African Monkey Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:46 AM)diehard Wrote: An ok card.  Would like some experienced NZ fighters in there instead of so many debut fights.

Interesting that Mikhailovich is dropping back down to 154. He really struggled there against Marcus Heywood.

Brock could be an outside chance of an upset here.

it has Tim Tyzu written all over it for the long term

Yeah didn't think about that but yeah, he's miles away from someone like Tszyu. I remember he was targeting Alex Hanan for a while as well. 

Still think MW or SMW is where Mikhailovich's future lies. He just looks drained at light middle. 

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-10-2021

Sonny Bill Williams confirms world boxing title aim after confirming rugby league retirement
Marc Churches

Williams says persistent knee injuries stopped him from continuing on the rugby field.
This story was originally published on Nine News and is republished with permission.

Sonny Bill Williams has confirmed he's now focused on becoming a world champion boxer, stating his career as a footballer is officially over.

Williams, 35, today revealed his time in rugby league has come to an end, having played his last game in the NRL with the Sydney Roosters during their semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders last year.

He finishes his NRL career having played 123 first grade games between the Bulldogs and Roosters, with premiership wins at both clubs in 2004 and 2013 respectively.

The dual-code superstar will continue his career at the Roosters in a mentoring role as he looks to take his boxing career one step further, with a professional record of 7-0 to date.

Williams admits he hopes to go into his next fight, whoever that may be, with "six months" of training and not "six weeks", which was the case during his career as a footballer.

"I spoke to my manager, I said 'bro I'm keen to get back into the ring, I've got a couple of years, I'm 35'," he told Nine News Sydney.

"I spoke to the wife first, and she had blank eyes but like usual, she supported me.

"I want to know how I will go in six months instead of six weeks."

Williams also opened up on his decision to retire from rugby league, conceding an ongoing issue to one of his knees was ultimately too much to play on with.

"I was humble enough to understand my knee couldn't meet the demands although the mind wanted to of the week in and week out footy, especially in the NRL.

Asked how he wants to be remembered in rugby league, Williams said: "As a brother and a man that just gave it a crack.

"Wasn't perfect by any means but tried to learn from his lessons."

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-14-2021

Zerafa massacres Mundine in one

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Middleweight Michael Zerafa (28-4, 17 KOs) ended the career of 45-year-old former world champion Anthony Mundine (48-11, 28 KOs) with a first round demolition on Saturday night at Bendigo Stadium in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. Zerafa dropped Mundine twice in a one-sided slaughter to claim the vacant WBA Oceania middleweight title.

In an upset, WBA #3, WBC #6, WBO #8, IBF #14 light heavyweight Blake Caparello (30-4-1, 13 KOs) lost a unanimous decision to Faris Chevalier (12-1, 7 KOs). Scores were 97-93 across the board.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - craigyid14 - 03-14-2021

Not really NZ boxing but unless Caperello chose not to fight Mose, Mose will be kicking himself he didn't take the fight. Mose could be ranked top 10.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-15-2021

I know, poetic license. But I figure we could do something with an OZ story. Blake over-rated, and yes, Mose could have won.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-23-2021

Not exactly a NZ fighter, but what the hell:

Tszyu: I haven’t reached my peak

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

WBO #2, IBF #3 light-middleweight Tim Tszyu (17-0, 13 KOs) says he’s shown improvement with each bout he has contested ahead of his bout against Dennis Hogan (28-3-1, 7 KOs) on March 31 at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.

“I’m only 26, I still haven’t reached my peak. I’ve got another 50, 60, 70 percent more to improve on. That’s dangerous for people in my weight division,” Tszyu told the Sydney Morning Herald. “Each fight I’ll be bigger, stronger, better. This camp I can really feel it. You’re going to see another improved Tim Tszyu.”

Tszyu aims to become the WBO mandatory challenger so he could be challenging for the unified championship if WBO champion Brian Castano and WBC, IBF, WBA champion Jermell Charlo clash in a unification bout.