NZBoxChat
Izu Ugonoh - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Izu Ugonoh (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Izu Ugonoh - gothenaki - 12-22-2015

Die was asking if Izu is on the card in Samoa?
Polish Dancing with the Stars is airing from 4 March - May, so theoretically he can do Samoa, but I don't think there's a lot of money for that card to get him a worthwhile opponent. (Stu?)

If it starts screening early March, I'm guessing he'd have to be there a few weeks before to learn his routines?
I kind of like the idea - it can only be good for his footwork, and will get him a good following in Poland.

He comes across as a nice guy with a sense of humour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Ewi5azqUM
From about 1:50

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-22-2015

Well, the problem, as with Parker, is that he's getting very few rounds in due to his first round KO's. Very frustrating for both of them to put in the time and work in camp only to go one round. Parker has fought 10 rounds in his last 5 fights. Izu about the same. One of the reasons I like Ustinov is that he'll give Parker some rounds. Very frustrating for the fighters and Team Parker. And Izu.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-22-2015

Stu says Izu won't be on the Samoan card, with an announcement soon.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - NakiFan - 12-29-2015

So I was looking on boxrec and saw that Izu has the WBO African HW Title. This was won by Parker when he KO'ed Tupou, and subsequently defended when he bet Kali Meehan. I see that the title was fought and won by Izu when he fought Ibrahim Labaran, on the undercard to the Meehan fight. That was termed the interim title.

How does this work? The title holder (JP) informed to the WBO that he was relinquishing the title, and that Izu should fight for it? Is this a very convenient way for team mates to bump up the resumes for higher ABC rankings?

Please enlighten me Smile

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-29-2015

From memory, Izu won the title when he fought Labaran. Don't know anything about Parker winning an African title. Not denying what you said, I just don't remember that happening. BTW, doesn't look like Izu will fight until after the Dancing with the Stars in Poland in March. A shame, he's just hasn't fought many rounds for all of his training. Must be disappointing. Like Parker, guess he'll take off in April . Stu says that an announcement will be made soon. KB says Izu is in Poland now for "Dancing with the Stars."

RE: Izu Ugonoh - NakiFan - 12-29-2015

http://boxrec.com/title/WBOAFR?division=Heavyweight

Here is what I looked at die.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-30-2015

Only thing I can figure is that boxrec says that Izu is the WBO African "Interim" champ, whereas boxrec says Parker is THE WBO African Champ.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - NakiFan - 12-30-2015

I did some more digging...

An interim championship is a temporary world championship that is awarded in all four major sanctioning bodies of professional boxing (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO) and in other combat sports, such as kickboxing and mixed martial arts.

Occasionally, the world champion of a particular weight division is temporarily unable to defend his championship because of medical, legal, or other reasons that are beyond the champion's control. When this case occurs, two highly ranked contenders will fight for the interim championship of the same weight division—leading to two champions existing in the same weight division simultaneously. Once the world champion is able to return, he must fight against the interim champion. The winner of this bout reunifies the weight division as sole world champion. If the world champion cannot return or moves to a different weight division, the interim champion becomes the world champion.

This definition doesn't apply to the Kali Meehan fight considering Joseph defended the title, and there was an interim title being fought on the same card. I can only think that Izu's interim title was put on the table because Joseph must be vacating the WBO African Camp title, as he didn't put it on the line against Daniel Martz. I suppose he'll pick up belts, and vacate them as he rises up the rankings, so he doesn't have to defend the lowly belts later on... so I suppose in a fight or two, with no chance Izu and Parker fighting each other, Izu will have to fight for the full title, as his interim belt gives him the mandatory right.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-30-2015

NakiFan, you're too smart for your own good. The alphabets don't like people like you, guys who look to closely at the rules and the reasons why they do what they do.

Ok, I'll put the question to Stu and get back to you. He's busy writing stupid, fun jokes on his facebook page, so we'll see if he can find the time...back to you soon.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - NakiFan - 12-30-2015

Ha Ha. I am just getting my head around this whole boxing thing. To be honest watching Parker has sparked an interest again in boxing, and after joining this forum has got me thinking about the ins and outs in the background work that goes on before and after fights. If Stu could give some insight that'll be great, as joe public rarely gets to know how these things all work...