NZBoxChat
Izu Ugonoh - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Izu Ugonoh (/showthread.php?tid=62)

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 10-17-2015

He picked up a couple of belts in the last fight, and is undefeated. He was languishing in Poland, so KB picked him up to train with Parker. He gets free rent, training, gets put on good cards, trained with Klit, and now has a few sponsors in NZ. So he's really progressed from where he was. Duco needs to think long term, as I'm sure they do. Some good wins against quality opposition, and the money will come for both Izu and Duco. From the sounds of KB Thursday nite, he's well aware of the problem.

mark, I agree. Those fighters you mentioned above I'd love to see again.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - shamrock - 10-17-2015

I think the likes of Izu properly matched can draw the Nz public while the Nz prospects do ok to fight on the undercard of these main events like duco and Barry are putting on. Title fights are a different scenario and likes of Robbie Berridge can drawer a crowd in his home town of Wanganui.. duco have spoiled us with hype and ceremony and when they move to Vegas Andrew Higgins Craig Thompson and Bruce Glozier mightnt get big enough and we'll be doing it all from the ABA stadium again.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 11-15-2015

From Stu Duncan at checkhook boxing:

we intend to step Izu up and to date he hasnt been tested. Its difficult when most of the budget goes on Parker & Horn. In 2016 he will be taking on more meaningful fights under the Duco banner but in a different direction. Izu will be fighting more out of Europe next year where there is more boxers in the division. Kevin will still be training him - Duco will still be promoting him and i will still be matching him .. but it will be a year that sees him step up and be tested. He has good skills & range though his power & chin will be measured against more credible opponents.

Don't know why most of the budget goes towards Parker and Horn. Izu is a very credible heavyweight, and he should get decent backing, although it sounds like, from the above, that will be happening.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - shamrock - 11-15-2015

Great to hear that die. I agree with you he is a credible heavyweight, perhaps he can have his own page on this site...? In saying all that though, he maybe a clone of Parker both with the same coach.

His own page?  How about his own thread, which he does, along with Parker and Horn.  I just think he's been neglected by Team Parker, but plans are afoot to make up for it by his fighting in Europe.  Be interesting to see if Parker will be on the same card as him in Europe.  He's indicated he wants to travel.

I think he's a different fighter than Parker.  Less speed, same power, and he knows how to fight.  Believe he was some champion in the mixed martial arts.  I do hope that KB is playing to his strengths instead of his being like Parker.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - Nigs - 11-15-2015

Hard to compare with jp. Haven't seen him fight anyone of note. Mainly taxi drivers...... He has only really been filling the card for duco. He's better off sparring with jp instead of taking the fights so far.

Izu's toughest opponent to date is Julius Long.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - shamrock - 11-15-2015

Sparring doesn't do it, they get better with each fight. Sparring is technical build up to the main thing, sparring without the reward becomes boring for a fighter and affects the interest and motivation.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - Nigs - 11-16-2015

agree sham, but do you think each opponent he has faced to date, has been a step up from the last? I'm not so sure.

or maybe I just need to be patient. haha