NZBoxChat
Izu Ugonoh - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Izu Ugonoh (/showthread.php?tid=62)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 11-27-2016

Yeah, it seems odd that Izu would see out the entire training camp to get Joe ready to fight Ruiz and then bugger off to Poland. Odd that Izu didn't want to watch Joe fight, as they are close.

Izu needed to fight a defining fight against a top ten guy either in the US or UK. Win that, and he's knocking on the door, headlining fights like Joe is. It's a solid investment.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - Infern0 - 11-27-2016

Just a thought but where is izu in the WBO rankings.

Is it possible he feels like he's got Joe's number based on sparring and is gonna try get that fight?

This is just wild speculation btw

RE: Izu Ugonoh - NakiFan - 11-28-2016

Not sure if this was mentioned but after the Gregory Tony fight, I didn't realise that the vacate IBF Mediterranean Belt was on the line. Since IZu won that, he is now #13 in the IBF rankings as of now. This coupled with #12 in the WBO.

I wonder if Tony was targeted because of the vacant IBF belt? Makes sense if they were wanting Izu to go down a different line considering Parker has changed focus to the WBO route to a title...

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 11-28-2016

A lot of boxing pundits are hearing the rumour that he is finished with Duco. Not one word from Stu since Izu got his new ranking. Infern0, you could be onto something. I think Izu is as good as Parker, and if Parker wins the WBO belt, well...or he could be switching back to kick-boxing...or getting a new promoter (is he even signed with Duco?)...or he could be close to announcing a major fight...or, or, or.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - Infern0 - 11-29-2016

There's a lot of options for izu but that was just a possibility that came into my head, there isn't a lot that comes out about those parker-izu sparring sessions.

IF Izu has been getting the better of them, plus Duco pushing Joe and not him I think his head could be turned. He's not getting any younger I'm sure he's tired of waiting for a big fight.

Put yourself in his shoes

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 11-29-2016

If I were in Izu's shoes, I would welcome Top Rank into the fold. I would tell Top Rank that I want to fight a top 10 guy and map out with them the choices for opponents. I would set a time frame, such as when to begin negotiations and when the fight will occur. I would not accept excuses. If they can't deliver, I'd look at other promoters.

I believe Izu is 30 years old. I agree, I've heard NOTHING about their sparring. Very secretive.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - Msreef - 11-29-2016

You'd think that if Izu was getting the better of JP in sparring, Duco would be even more keen to hold onto him, and be more willing to pay top dollar for a decent opponent.
It makes more sense to me that it's the other way around, but either way, it's just speculation.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 11-29-2016

My guess is that they are pretty evenly matched, and help each other, especially the non-sparring training. Is Izu with Duco? I'm thinking he could stay with KB and Parker even if he weren't with Duco. KB says he's the best body puncher at heavyweight, and one of the best kept secrets.

To me, it all comes down to money. Does Duco want to fork out good money for a good opponent? Barring that, can they put him on a good card that isn't a Duco event? He was set to fight Wach in Poland but got low-balled. All that time on Dancing with the Stars for nothing.

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-01-2016

Joseph Parker's stablemate Izu Ugonoh leaves for his own challenge

Izu Ugonoh and Joseph Parker have built a strong bond shaping their exciting heavyweight careers.

Joseph Parker's stablemate Izu Ugonoh is heading in his own direction though he will continue to be trained by Kevin Barry.

Ugonoh's departure from Duco Events to a new promoter is expected to be confirmed on Friday.

Heavyweight Ugonoh is currently in his native Poland.

He has featured on several of Parker's undercards but won't fight on the December 10 WBO title card in Auckland where Parker takes on Mexico's Andy Ruiz.

Ugonoh has been living at the Barry's house in Las Vegas along with Parker.

The 30-year-old is unbeaten over 17 fights and is making progress in the rankings. But clearly it's time to get out of Parker's rather large shadow.

"Izu has been entertaining the New Zealand public for the last couple of years with devastating knockouts, his personality, his charisma and his charm," Barry said.

"Izu has been coming along for Joseph Parker's ride, now it's time for Izu to take his own path."

Parker said he wouldn't be distracted by the development.

"It would have been a great opportunity for him to fight on the undercard. But I guess he's taking a different path now and as long as he's happy we're all happy," Parker said.

Barry revealed that while Parker and Ugonoh trained together daily, he hadn't used Ugonoh as a sparring partner in this camp because of the size of Parker's opponent Andy Ruiz.

Ugonoh, with his height and extraordinary reach, was ideal for preparation for bigger opponents like Anthony Joshua.

"They train maybe three times a day, they feed of each other, they challenge each other, they have tremendous chemistry and they are great mates. But Izu is on his path now ... it's only fair," Barry said.

- Stuff

RE: Izu Ugonoh - diehard - 12-01-2016

A couple of top fights with Duco and he never would have left. I can't speak for Duco's deep pockets, but I felt he was worth the investment. Sounds like if KB is continuing to train him, he'll continue to train with Joe. The only difference is a different promoter. Kinda weird, as I doubt Parker will fight in NZ anytime soon after this fight.