NZBoxChat
Pro Fights in other Divisions - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pro Fights in other Divisions (/showthread.php?tid=377)

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - justafan - 01-27-2019

Sounds like it was much closer than most predicted. To be fair to Thurman it was his first fight in almost two years

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - nullanulla - 02-02-2019

(05-10-2018, 11:45 AM)diehard Wrote: I'm away until Saturday.  Will check and see if this fight is on Sky Pop Up then.

Saturday, May 12
ESPN (8PM ET/5PM PT)
Jorge Linares vs. Vasyl Lomachenko
(WBA lightweight title)

Sergey Kovalev v Eleider Alvarez rematch for the WBO light heavyweight title is on tomorrow, it seems to have flown a bit under the radar and looks like it won't be televised live here, maybe delayed on Fight Night on Sky Monday night or catch replay on YouTube might be an option? Kovalev says Alvarez got lucky last time and Alvarez is out to prove that result wasn't a fluke; Kovalev is only a year older than Alvarez but he hasn't aged well and his best years seem to be behind him, so I am going with Alvarez this time too.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-03-2019

Kovalev beats Alvarez, regains WBO LH title

In their much-anticipated rematch, Sergey Kovalev (33-3-1, 28 KOs) regained the WBO light heavyweight world championship with a twelve round unanimous decision over Eleider Alvarez (24-1, 12 KOs) on Saturday night at the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas. Scores were 116-112, 116-112, 120-108 as Kovalev outworked Alvarez all night long.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - nullanulla - 02-04-2019

A good result for Kovalev, he looked pretty sharp although Alvarez didn't offer a lot. Not convinced that either of these guys would foot it with the other titleholders in the division.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-04-2019

Here's a little more about the fight:

https://fightnews.com/kovalev-beats-alvarez-regains-wbo-lh-title/38838#more-38838

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-07-2019

Canelo-Jacobs lands in Las Vegas

T-Mobile Arena will host Canelo Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) defending his WBC/WBA titles in a 12-round unification fight against IBF middleweight world champion Daniel “Miracle Man” Jacobs (35-2, 29 KOs) during the celebratory weekend of Cinco de Mayo. The champion-vs.-champion event will take place Saturday, May 4 and will be streamed live exclusively on DAZN.

“I’m excited to return to T-Mobile Arena for a fifth time,” said Canelo Alvarez. “I inaugurated this arena to boxing at an international level, and it’s a place where I have had some of my biggest fights. This fight against Daniel Jacobs will not be the exception. I am ready to capture another world title in front of a packed house, listening to the unconditional support of the fans in attendance, and also for those who will watch this fight through the screens of a huge platform in DAZN. I want it so when people talk about T-Mobile Arena, they say that is where Canelo Alvarez fights.”

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-09-2019

Tszyu and Gallen victorious

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

In a nationally Foxtel-televised bout, Australian light middleweight Tim Tszyu (12-0, 10 KOs) stopped former Commonwealth Champion Denton Vassell (25-5, 11 KOs) in round two of the main event twelve round WBA Oceana title bout at the Hordern Pavillion, Sydney, NSW, Australia with a sold out attendance of five thousand fans on Friday.

Tszyu was the aggressor from the opening bell and connected with solid combinations that had the Englishmen on the backmove. Tszyu dropped Vassell in round two and the referee crowned the Australian after he had his opponent in trouble on the ropes. Tim is the son of Hall of Famer Kostya Tszyu and looks destined for international recognition in 2019.

In other action, Rugby League football heavyweight star Paul Gallen (9-0, 5 KOs) stopped former 2008 Australian champion John Hopoate (12-6, 11 KOs) in round two of a scheduled six. Gallen,225 pounds, controlled the action in round one and in round two trapped Hopoate, 247, in a corner and connected with a barrage of solid punches to the head that dropped his opponent and the referee waved the fight off.”

When I knew I had him I looked at the ref to stop punching, I had to do what I had to do,” Gallen said. “I feel like I’m getting better, I’m looking forward to getting back to the footy, I’ll maybe have one more fight at the end of the year. Hoppa is known as a bad guy but I know the bloke, he’s made mistakes but he’s only ever been a gentleman to me. The last couple of weeks have got personal but I’m happy to shake his hand now, I’ve only got respect for him.”

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - craigyid14 - 02-09-2019

Makes you wonder how Vassell qualified for an Oceania title, kiwi light middle shiva Mishra lost on the undercard too.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-12-2019

Crawford-Khan PPV lands at MSG

Terence “Bud” Crawford will defend his WBO welterweight world title against Amir “King” Khan on Saturday, April 20 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Matchroom Boxing and Khan Promotions, tickets priced at $606, $406, $306, $206, $106, $81, and $56 go on sale Wednesday.

Undercard bouts and details on how fans will be able to access the pay-per-view event will be announced at a later date.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 02-17-2019

Santa Cruz beats Rivera, retains WBA feather title

By Miguel Maravilla at ringside

WBA featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz (36-1-1, 19 KOs) successfully defended his title as he won a hard-fought unanimous decision over a very game Rafael Rivera (26-3-2, 17 KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico, who came to fight Saturday night at the Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live in Los Angeles headlining Premier Boxing Champions on FOX and FOX Deportes. All three judges scored the bout 119-109.

It was a feel out round in the first as Santa Cruz and Rivera felt each other out popping the jab, then finished the round strong. Things picked up in round two as Rivera and Santa Cruz let their hands go. Exchanging on the inside in round three, Rivera and Santa Cruz continued to let their hands go. Santa Cruz began to dig to the body in the fourth as he connected Rivera with a few solid left hooks to the body but Rivera held his own mixing it up.

Mixing it up inside in the fifth both Santa Cruz and Rivera continued to brawl as they had the crowd on their feet. At the halfway point in round six Santa Cruz did not take a step back attacking inside but Rivera hung in there as he returned the favor connecting the champ with solid punches. Past the halfway point in the seventh, Santa Cruz stalked as Rivera began fighting off his back foot. Santa Cruz began to take over late in the fight in the eight as he pressed Rivera but there was no quitting in the Tijuana fighter.

Late in the fight in the ninth round, the champ continued to press but there was no quitting in Rivera as he exchanged and mix it up with Santa Cruz. The tenth saw Rivera and Santa Cruz continuing to mix it up on the inside as neither took a step back. The champ Santa Cruz did not take his foot of the gas pedal as he continued to work in the championship rounds but Rivera kept coming making the most of it. The twelfth and final round was all action as Santa Cruz looked to secure it staying busy with Rivera giving the champ all he can handle in trading away to the final bell.