NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Cairo George lost in his bid to win the WBU title in Aussie, he lost in the 9th round by TD due to a nasty cut. Also I've seen Andrei Mikhailovich won in China, the details are Abit sketchy but I guess it was professional. Sounds like a huge card but I don't really know the details.
Isn't Fa also with diBella?

DiBella Entertainment has signed Undefeated Heavyweight Contender Hemi “The Heat” Ahio (15-0, 10 KOs), of Auckland, New Zealand, to an exclusive promotional contract. Renowned as a street fighter, Ahio was jumped by six assailants in early 2013 in his hometown and stabbed in the chest. Despite his life-threatening injury, Ahio was able to knock out three of his attackers with the other three running away. Following the notorious incident, Ahio was taken to a boxing gym by his uncle and had his first professional bout on October 18, 2013, which he won by first-round knockout.
Flanagan: I’m the real test for Opetaia

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

Former world cruiserweight challenger Mark Flanagan (24-7, 17 KOs) is confident he will upset WBA #11, IBF #12, WBO #13 Jai Opetaia (18-0, 14 KOs) on November 16 at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

“I’m a real contender. I always have been,” Flanagan told Michael Thompson of the Townsville Bulletin. “It’s everything I stand for and I’m never going to change that. I’ve been boxing far too long to do that.

“If I win this fight I’m back in baby. I go back to where I belong and where I’m supposed to be. People say his 18-0 record speaks for itself, but does it? His best wins are over my sparring partners. I know he can fight – I’m not an idiot – but they know I’m the real test!

Flanagan challenged Dennis Lebedev unsuccessfully for the WBA cruiserweight title in Russia dropping a twelve round decision in 2017

Promoter: Annabel Vogel, Matchmaker: Stuart Duncan, televised on Foxtel.
Guess we can call this a NZ fight. The guy really loves his $$$.

Boxing: Sonny Bill Williams reportedly agrees to fight with Paul Gallen in 2020
10 Nov, 2019 3:25pm 3 minutes to read
Sonny Bill Williams is set to return to the boxing ring.

Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill Williams are poised to finally face off in the boxing ring next year.

As was initially reported by The Daily Telegraph, the fight is on track to take place next October after a clause in Williams' $10 million contract with Toronto Wolfpack permitted him to fight.

Wiliams and Gallen will reportedly receive $2 million each for the bout.

Williams agreed to fight the Sharks captain two years ago, and the wait could finally be over, providing Gallen can topple former AFL star Barry Hall this Friday.

"I've got to deal with Barry Hall first and get him out of the way... we'll worry about Sonny later," Gallen said.

The former Sharks player is adamant a $2 million 50/50 split is justified.

"It will be a 50/50 split or it won't be happening. Everything was lopsided his way last time. Not anymore. I bring as much to the fight as he does," Gallen said.

"He'll make his couple of million so there will be no excuses for him to back away again."

However, Williams' agent Khoder Nasser has other thoughts.

"If Gal honestly thinks he's entitled to a 50/50 cut the poor bugger has had too many head knocks," Nasser said.

The big payday would add to Williams' lucrative contracts, after his record-breaking deal with Toronto was announced earlier this week.

The deal will see Williams earn around four times the wages paid to NRL superstar Daly Cherry-Evans ($10 million over eight seasons) and AFL superstar Lance Franklin ($10 million over nine seasons).

Other rugby league and union teams were rumoured to be in the hunt for Williams' signature after his contract with New Zealand Rugby ended following the All Blacks' bronze medal win over Wales.

Toronto had a competitive advantage over interested rivals of being able to sign Williams as a Super League marquee player where just $300,000 of his salary will be included in the team's salary cap.

McDermott said recently his team wanted to bring in a David Beckham-type player to do for the Wolfpack what the former Manchester United favourite did for LA Galaxy — and that Williams fits the bill.

The Wolfpack, a Canadian franchise, is funded by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle and will make its debut in the Super League next year after winning promotion by beating Featherstone Rovers.

Williams is expected to join the Wolfpack around Christmas for their preseason campaign.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/117303128/boxing-fans-pack-nelsons-trafalgar-centre-for-legend-event
(11-10-2019, 05:31 PM)diehard Wrote: Guess we can call this a NZ fight.  The guy really loves his $$$.

Boxing: Sonny Bill Williams reportedly agrees to fight with Paul Gallen in 2020
10 Nov, 2019 3:25pm 3 minutes to read
Sonny Bill Williams is set to return to the boxing ring.

Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill Williams are poised to finally face off in the boxing ring next year.

As was initially reported by The Daily Telegraph, the fight is on track to take place next October after a clause in Williams' $10 million contract with Toronto Wolfpack permitted him to fight.

Wiliams and Gallen will reportedly receive $2 million each for the bout.

Williams agreed to fight the Sharks captain two years ago, and the wait could finally be over, providing Gallen can topple former AFL star Barry Hall this Friday.

"I've got to deal with Barry Hall first and get him out of the way... we'll worry about Sonny later," Gallen said.

The former Sharks player is adamant a $2 million 50/50 split is justified.

"It will be a 50/50 split or it won't be happening. Everything was lopsided his way last time. Not anymore. I bring as much to the fight as he does," Gallen said.

"He'll make his couple of million so there will be no excuses for him to back away again."

However, Williams' agent Khoder Nasser has other thoughts.

"If Gal honestly thinks he's entitled to a 50/50 cut the poor bugger has had too many head knocks," Nasser said.

The big payday would add to Williams' lucrative contracts, after his record-breaking deal with Toronto was announced earlier this week.

The deal will see Williams earn around four times the wages paid to NRL superstar Daly Cherry-Evans ($10 million over eight seasons) and AFL superstar Lance Franklin ($10 million over nine seasons).

Other rugby league and union teams were rumoured to be in the hunt for Williams' signature after his contract with New Zealand Rugby ended following the All Blacks' bronze medal win over Wales.

Toronto had a competitive advantage over interested rivals of being able to sign Williams as a Super League marquee player where just $300,000 of his salary will be included in the team's salary cap.

McDermott said recently his team wanted to bring in a David Beckham-type player to do for the Wolfpack what the former Manchester United favourite did for LA Galaxy — and that Williams fits the bill.

The Wolfpack, a Canadian franchise, is funded by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle and will make its debut in the Super League next year after winning promotion by beating Featherstone Rovers.

Williams is expected to join the Wolfpack around Christmas for their preseason campaign.

Let's go the G-Train! Knock this pretenders block off and send him all the way back to Toronto!!!
I dislike both of them. Wonder if SBW will donate the 2 mil to charity, like he did last time when he made a few hundred thousand?
The Berridge fight scheduled for Friday in Sydney is off, anybody heard why? Shame I was looking forward to it.
Craig, I looked everywhere but couldn't find anything on "the Buther." He usually posts something on Facebook about his goings on, but I'm not on facebook anymore. Might wanta try there. Good luck.
Great news that this card is on Sky 59 from 9pm tomorrow night

https://boxrec.com/en/event/796070