Browne v Chagaev
Agreed today that Lucas Browne will finally get his shot at WBA 'championship' belt against holder Ruslan Chagaev in late Feb/early March 2016.

Fight supposedly to take place in Grozny, Russia.

Interesting to see if Lucas will have another warmup fight after that Julius Long shambles?
Good news to finally hear that he will be getting his Shot. I dont rate Lucas Browne very highly but i wish him all the best in this fight and i would like to see him win and get that " Paper " belt to set up a big trans tasman fight with Joseph Parker. As far as a warm up fight goes i think its in his best interests to have one as his fight with Julius Long was after a long lay off and he didnt perfrom well at all. So if he wants to give himself the best possible chance of winning he will def need to take a good solid warm up fight.
Especially considering Chagaev is a Southpaw it'd surely be worth his while fighting one of those between now and February.
Perfect candidate: Jason Bergman

Samoa to Australia is a direct flight?
(12-02-2015, 08:47 AM)NakiFan Wrote: Perfect candidate: Jason Bergman

Too bad there's a month stand down after getting KTFO. He's probably too risky for Browne anyway...
(12-02-2015, 12:13 PM)tm7 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 08:47 AM)NakiFan Wrote: Perfect candidate: Jason Bergman

Too bad there's a month stand down after getting KTFO. He's probably too risky for Browne anyway...

I suppose even though they want time with a southpaw to develop skills, Joseph won't miss an opportunity to put him away if presented. It would be tempting for them to hold back a bit to work on the different southpaw stance and defence, but I'm sure they would just want to move on after KTFO.
1st round. Browne working behind the jab, circling nicely to his left. A few glancing blows in close by Chagaev, but a nothing round to start. Even round
2nd Round. Browne being more agressive, working behind the jab, doubling up. Chagaev just waiting for opportunities. A few flurries of close in shots by both but another even round, maybe slightly favouring Browne.
3rd Round. Maybe Chagaev's round. Brown put in some good body shots but Chagaev got in a few better combos, especially when the fight went in close. Browne showing very good movement. Holding his own.
Results from Grozny, Russia
Heavyweight Edmund Gerber (26-2, 17 KOs) of Schwerin, Germany, scored a second round destruction of 41-year-old Brian “The Beast” Minto (41-11, 26 KOs) of Butler, PA. Gerber dropped Minto in round two, then put him on the deck face first to end it. Time was 2:40.

37-year-old former world title challenger Ali Funeka (38-5-3, 30 KOs) of South Africa, scored an upset twelve round split decision over previously unbeaten welterweight Vishkahn Murzabekov (12-1, 6 KOs) of Russia. With Chechnyan President Ramzan Kadyrov in his corner, the aggressive Murzabekov was credited with a knockdown in round two when Funeka held onto the ring rope. But, Funeka gained the advantage in the middle rounds and stalked Murzabekov late. Scores were 115-112, 114-113 Funeka and 117-111 Murzabekov.

Unbeaten cruiserweight Tyrone “King of the Ring” Spong (3-0, 3 KOs) of Miami, Florida, laid out previously unbeaten David Gogishvilli (12-1, 8 KOs) of Gori, Georgia, with an overhand right in round two.