Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport
Freddie Roach: I think we won the fight

By Miguel Maravilla

Miguel Cotto was a no-show at the post-fight press conference, so trainer Freddie Roach was the sole representative of Team Cotto.

“I still think my guy fought a good fight. We had a game plan to outbox him and I thought we did that. I thought his defense was impeccable, I thought he blocked a lot of shots, he landed a lot of combinations. I thought we had the edge at the end but it went the other way. That’s life,” Roach said.

“He’s disappointed. I and he felt we outscored Canelo in this fight. We landed a lot of combinations and out defense was very good. I think he has a future. A couple more fights in him if they’re the right fights, but we’re nearing the end. He’s had a great career. I’d like to think maybe a rematch, but we’ll see.

“Going to 154 is definitely an option we’ll pursue because going into the fight he weighed 159 and his opponent weighed like 175. He was a bigger, stronger guy and we did have trouble backing him up. He came forward a lot in the fight, but I don’t think just coming forward wins fights. I know he threw a lot of punches, I know he landed some good shots, but we blocked a helluva lot of shots also. I still think that we outscored him number-wise. I’m not a judge, but I thought we won.

“All four of our cornermen, none of us were concerned about losing the fight. We all had our guy ahead. But what bothered me was the scoring was bad. We didn’t lose the fight by that much. There’s no f—ing way. I did say some things about the commission and about people. I was mad. I apologize if I offended anybody, but I still think we won the fight though.

I’m sure we’ll talk about retirement and see how he feels. But the way he works in the gym and his work ethic, I don’t think that it’s over but we will have to discuss that. We’ll have a long talk about that and we will make the right decision because I care about my fighters. If it’s over, it’s over. I guess we’ll have to see on that one.”

Messages In This Thread
Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - diehard - 11-21-2015, 01:48 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - Steven - 11-22-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - Steven - 11-22-2015, 06:45 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - Steven - 11-22-2015, 06:53 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - cranky - 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - Steven - 11-22-2015, 08:36 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - Steven - 11-22-2015, 11:15 PM
RE: Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport - diehard - 11-23-2015, 10:52 AM