Cotto vs Alvarez on Sky Sport
Yeah, definitely saw Cotto hit very hard, with little effect. Almost unreal. I think I understand why I got Pacman and now Cotto's defeats so wrong. I count their combinations as more than 1 punch, whereas the judges and compu-box count combos as 1 punch. I can remember Colonel Bob saying: "why is Canelo only throwing 1 punch at a time," when Cotto is throwing three or four?
(11-22-2015, 06:53 PM)Steven Wrote: Whats the deal with honouring America? The Puerto Rico and Mexican anthems get followed by the American anthem. I suppose that one was for the crowd.

....And that Puerto Rico isn't a separate country- it is part of the US (like Guam and American Samoa)...
(11-22-2015, 10:40 PM)cranky Wrote:
(11-22-2015, 06:53 PM)Steven Wrote: Whats the deal with honouring America? The Puerto Rico and Mexican anthems get followed by the American anthem. I suppose that one was for the crowd.

....And that Puerto Rico isn't a separate country- it is part of the US (like Guam and American Samoa)...

"On July 25, 1898, during the Spanish–American War, the U.S. invaded Puerto Rico with a landing at Guánica. As an outcome of the war, Spain ceded Puerto Rico, along with the Philippines and Guam, then under Spanish sovereignty, to the U.S. under the Treaty of Paris."

Fascinating, did not know that. So it was specifically for Cotto? Without knowing that, and the weird wording when introducing the anthem it came off as self centered.

Diehard - Cotto threw a lot more than Canelo, even compubox backs you up on that one. But hardly anything from his combos seemed to get through. Lots of elbows, shoulders and gloves. I was thinking that Roach was crazy when they interviewed him and he tried to reason they were in front. It certainly wasn't a demolition, or all one way traffic, but Canelo always seemed ahead to me.
Steven, I saw it exactly the way you did. But in reverse. I saw Cotto blocking most of Canelo's punches on his elbows and gloves. Canelo had his best round in Round 8, and also in Round 11. Other than that, he was throwing one shot at a time, trying to KO him. Even Colonel Bob, who is prejudiced for Canelo said that. I concede that Canelo landed the harder shots, but Cotto took them extremely well and it seemed to have no effect. I guess the issue is: do you go with the combo fighter who throws punches in bunches, with several landing to no real effect, as opposed to a one shot KO artist who occasionally got in some hard shots? I'm going with Cotto and Freddy.
Freddie Roach: I think we won the fight

By Miguel Maravilla

Miguel Cotto was a no-show at the post-fight press conference, so trainer Freddie Roach was the sole representative of Team Cotto.

“I still think my guy fought a good fight. We had a game plan to outbox him and I thought we did that. I thought his defense was impeccable, I thought he blocked a lot of shots, he landed a lot of combinations. I thought we had the edge at the end but it went the other way. That’s life,” Roach said.

“He’s disappointed. I and he felt we outscored Canelo in this fight. We landed a lot of combinations and out defense was very good. I think he has a future. A couple more fights in him if they’re the right fights, but we’re nearing the end. He’s had a great career. I’d like to think maybe a rematch, but we’ll see.

“Going to 154 is definitely an option we’ll pursue because going into the fight he weighed 159 and his opponent weighed like 175. He was a bigger, stronger guy and we did have trouble backing him up. He came forward a lot in the fight, but I don’t think just coming forward wins fights. I know he threw a lot of punches, I know he landed some good shots, but we blocked a helluva lot of shots also. I still think that we outscored him number-wise. I’m not a judge, but I thought we won.

“All four of our cornermen, none of us were concerned about losing the fight. We all had our guy ahead. But what bothered me was the scoring was bad. We didn’t lose the fight by that much. There’s no f—ing way. I did say some things about the commission and about people. I was mad. I apologize if I offended anybody, but I still think we won the fight though.

I’m sure we’ll talk about retirement and see how he feels. But the way he works in the gym and his work ethic, I don’t think that it’s over but we will have to discuss that. We’ll have a long talk about that and we will make the right decision because I care about my fighters. If it’s over, it’s over. I guess we’ll have to see on that one.”
Canelo: I wanted a clear victory. I didn’t want any doubts

WBC middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez spoke to the press after his unanimous decision victory over Miguel Cotto. “First of all I want to thank everyone,” said Canelo. “I am very happy. I am a blessed man.

“I felt I had him in the first round, I felt superior to him. I was stronger than him, I was able to move around very, very well and control the fight. I felt I was winning the fight. I made him miss a lot. From the opening bell I felt I had the advantage and was going to win the fight…I wanted a clear victory. I didn’t want any doubts.

“I feel really good, very strong at this weight. I can make the weight easily and the results are there. This is my weight class.

“Before the fight they asked me a lot of questions about Golovkin and I didn’t want to answer because I had respect for the person I was gonna fight tonight. Now they can ask me. I know Golovkin very well. He’s a friend of mine and like I said before and I’ll say it again, I have respect for him but I’m not scared of him. I will fight anybody, anytime.”
http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/miguel-cotto-reacts-to-canelo-alvarez-loss/
One judge only gave Cotto ONE round. Please.

Cotto back in Puerto Rico, says he beat Canelo

By Karl Freitag

Former four-division world champion Miguel Cotto arrived back in Puerto Rico early Monday morning. The ex-champ took the loss hard in Las Vegas and wasn’t talking to the press, however, he briefly discussed the fight with Primera Hora. “When you have the opportunity to dominate eight of the twelve rounds, you don’t expect anything less than victory,” he said.

Cotto isn’t alone in his assessment. Mexican commentators on TV Azteca had Cotto winning 117-111. And, the Mexican newspaper La Prensa went with the headline “Robbery in Las Vegas; Champion Canelo.”

Cotto threw more than twice as many jabs as Canelo, connecting on 54 compared to Canelo’s 37, but Canelo had a decisive edge in power shots 118-75.

The official judges scoring the fight weren’t giving Cotto anything. Dave Moretti (119-109) awarded Cotto just one round, Burt Clements (118-110) scored two rounds for Cotto, and John McKaie (117- 111) saw three rounds going Cotto’s way.

Upon hearing the scores, Cotto’s only comment was “Wow!”