AJ/Ruiz
Andy Ruiz plans to use lessons from Joseph Parker fight to beat Anthony Joshua
12:10, May 28 2019

Andy Ruiz vows to take the fight to Anthony Joshua, just as he did against Joseph Parker in Auckland.
Andy Ruiz Jnr believes he can use lessons learned from his fight with Joseph Parker to beat British heavyweight Anthony Joshua.

Mexican-American Ruiz fights Joshua in New York on Sunday (NZT) for the WBA, WBO, and IBF titles.

It's Ruiz's second world title fight after he lost a majority points decision to Parker in Auckland in December 2016 when they fought for the WBO title.

Anthony Joshua puts his belts on the line against Andy Ruiz in his American debut in New York.
He feels he is better prepared for the task after his New Zealand battle, a fight he still maintains he won.

Asked what he had learned from that experience, Ruiz told Sky Sports UK: "The hard work, the dedication, the discipline, and having the right people and the right trainers around me.

"Now we are more focused, we are more motivated and, you know, more excited. I feel, good, I feel light, I feel loose."

Looks can be deceptive and the burly Ruiz has rare hand speed and movement for a man of his size. He is adamant he can shock people, just like he surprised Parker who needed a big comeback over the second half of an absorbing fight to eventually defeat Ruiz.

"Everyone is underestimating me right now and I kind of like it," Ruiz said.

"People that are doubting me will become my fans once they see my fireworks and me letting my hands go.

"I shocked Joseph Parker. I'm pretty sure he didn't think it would be that hard. He thought it would be easy.

"This chubby kid? He thought he would box me around. But when he moved, I moved. When he punched, I punched. I really thought I won that fight."

Ruiz, 29, has vowed to take the fight to unbeaten Joshua and says he has watched tapes of Mike Tyson as he works on a game plan to counter Joshua's height and reach advantage.

"Everybody that fights Joshua has fought scared - they move around and try not to get hit," Ruiz said in a reference that could apply to Parker's subsequent loss to Joshua in their 2018 unification fight in Cardiff.

"But I'm not scared of getting hit. I'm here to get hit, and hit back.

"People like watching me fight because I'm not scared and I bring a fight.

"I'm an exciting fighter. People look at me and say: 'he's slow, he will get tired'. But I'm a combination fighter.

"I move, I throw punches, I go in to knock out my opponents."

?"People who are doubting me, will become my fans." @Andy_destroyer1 says he's learnt valuable lessons from his fight with Joseph Parker as he prepares for his 2nd world title challenge

Ruiz, whose only loss in 33 fights came against Parker, backed his durability for this massive challenge.

"I've never been knocked out. I'm still young, 29, I've never been hurt and I've never been in a big war. This is the hardest fight of my career but I know I will pull off an upset," he told Sky Sports UK.

"I believe in my heart that we can win, and we are going to win. It will be one of the biggest upsets in the world. I can be the first one to stop him.

"In America, you have to have a dream, and have the heart to pursue it. I am a family man and a nice guy but, inside the ring, I am an animal."

Stuff
Madison Square Garden, June 1st

Heavyweight Anthony Joshua 22 0 0
S
Andy Ruiz Jr 32 1 0

International Boxing Federation World Heavyweight Title
International Boxing Organization World Heavyweight Title
World Boxing Association Super World Heavyweight Title
World Boxing Organisation World Heavyweight Title

Super Middleweight Callum Smith 25 0 0
S
Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam 37 3 0

World Boxing Association Super World Super Middleweight Title
World Boxing Council Diamond Super Middleweight Title

Super Lightweight Chris Algieri 23 3 0
S
Tommy Coyle 25 4 0

World Boxing Organisation International Super Lightweight Title

Lightweight Katie Taylor 13 0 0
S
Delfine Persoon 43 1 0

International Boxing Federation World Female Lightweight Title
World Boxing Association World Female Lightweight Title
World Boxing Council World Female Lightweight Title
World Boxing Organisation World Female Lightweight Title

Welterweight Josh Kelly 9 0 0
S
Ray Robinson 24 3 1

World Boxing Association International Welterweight Title

Light heavyweight Joshua Buatsi 10 0 0
S
TBA

Middleweight Austin Williams 1 0 0
S
Quadeer Jenkins 0 1 0
Andy Ruiz Jr determined to prove doubters wrong

Andy Ruiz Jr. says he is ready to shock the world by ripping the WBA Super, IBF, and WBO heavyweight world titles from Anthony Joshua OBE this Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York, live on DAZN in the US and Sky Sports Box Office in the UK.

Ruiz stepped in after original challenger Jarrell Miller failed multiple drugs tests, and can now create history by becoming Mexico’s first ever Heavyweight ruler by upsetting unified champion Joshua on his big US debut.
Ruiz is being overlooked by many, but the 29-year-old is relishing being the underdog for his “dream opportunity” and believes being written off could work in his favor as he looks to become a heavyweight champ at the second time of asking.

“It just gives me more motivation all the guys talking crap,” said Ruiz. “I don’t know if they are mad because I have got this opportunity, but I don’t have anything bad to say about anyone, I talk in the ring with my fists. I’m so mentally strong and prepared for this fight that I don’t care what people have to say.

“A lot of people underestimate me, like I said, the way I look, my appearance, but as soon as they see me throw punches, I’m going to pull out the upset. This is what I have worked for my whole life, I’m here to take what Anthony has. I’m ready to shock the world.

“People will see what I can do. It’s going to be an all action fight, with two big guys punching each other in the face, hard. I’m in this to win it. Everyone else that has fought him has lost before they get in there, I’m not thinking like that, and that’s the difference.

“The most important thing is to win and prove to the fans that I belong at this elite level. I’m not going to chase the KO but I know that it’s there if I execute my combinations. I’m feeling good and ready, AJ hasn’t boxed for nine months and I’m sharper than ever and very motivated.”

“He’s big, but the advantages I have are in speed, movement and coming forward. Everyone AJ fights is scared. I’m not scared of anyone apart from the man upstairs. There’s a lot of doubters out there but I don’t care, they only give me more motivation and confidence.”
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/113109408/joseph-parker-tips-anthony-joshua-to-beat-andy-ruiz-jnr
30-1 odds.  Come on.  Wilder/Breazeale wasn't that bad.  A lazy $20 on Ruiz.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/113142969/andy-ruiz-jr-given-little-hope-of-beating-heavyweight-king-anthony-joshua
Andy Ruiz 20lbs heavier than Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua 247.8 vs. Andy Ruiz Jr 268
(WBA, IBF, WBO heavyweight titles)

Callum Smith 167.6 vs. Hassan N’Dam 166
(WBA super middleweight title)

Katie Taylor 134.6 vs. Delfine Persoon 130.6
(WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO female lightweight titles)

Venue: Madison Square Garden, NYC
Promoter: Matchroom
Wow he was 255 against Parker, weights even up on his last fight against Dimitrenko
(06-01-2019, 12:58 PM)Nablonicasso Wrote: Wow he was 255 against Parker, weights even up on his last fight against Dimitrenko

After his last fight against Dimitrenko being so close to this fight, I thought Ruiz would come in much better shape.  Disappointed.  The Dimitrenko fight was less than 6 weeks ago.
Here's the weigh-in, about 9 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDrEILdV228
Didn't he claim he lost too much before Parker fight and lost his power? That's only off my memory though which by the way is pretty shit haha