Joseph Parker
Question, does Takam have a good chin or does Parker lack power at the elite level?
(05-22-2016, 03:23 PM)Nigs Wrote: Question, does Takam have a good chin or  does Parker lack power at the elite level?

I think his power has been a little overrated. Look at some of the guys he fought that others have blown out quicker. But Takam has shown a decent chin thus far. I think Parkers power is adequate, carries a bit of pop but isn't bone crunching.
Hi westy, I was referring to how posters are labeling Jo Parker mate.
(05-22-2016, 03:28 PM)The Fly Wrote:
(05-22-2016, 03:23 PM)Nigs Wrote: Question, does Takam have a good chin or  does Parker lack power at the elite level?

I think his power has been a little overrated. Look at some of the guys he fought that others have blown out quicker. But Takam has shown a decent chin thus far. I think Parkers power is adequate, carries a bit of pop but isn't bone crunching.

Yes agree there. His power has never been amazing imo.
Anyone else watching the Showtime card atm

Takam has a good chin, but not iron chin.

Joe hit's quite hard but isn't a massive ko puncher.
Elated Joseph Parker eager to improve as IBF world title challenge looms video

Joseph Parker beats Carlos Takam
SKY SPORT
Joseph Parker prevails after 12 grueling rounds to defeat Carlos Takam and earn a world heavyweight title shot.

Joseph Parker feels a real heavyweight now though he's realistic enough to know he needs improvement to take the next dramatic step and win a world title.

Parker earned a title shot when he beat France's Carlos Takam in an IBF eliminator in south Auckland on Saturday night.

He passed a major examination, going 12 rounds for the first time and showing resolve to rebound from several shaky moments.

Joseph Parker embraces Carlos Takam and now the Kiwi heavyweight is embracing his new status as a mandatory world title challenger.

It's those moments he and trainer Kevin Barry will look to improve as they build towards the title fight against big-hitting British world champion Anthony Joshua in London.

READ MORE:
* Illegal stream prompts Duco backlash
* Parker wins to fight for title
* Parker: What happens now?
* Parker issues warning to Joshua
* Contender unimpressed by Parker
* Undercard: Fight by fight
* Parker on 'keeping it real' and doing it for his family'

Tyson Luke Fury ‎@Tyson_Fury
Congrats @joeboxerparker great fight,
Welcome to big time boxing, respect to a young lad taking on a very tough guy in takam very well done!
11:56 PM - 21 May 2016
304 304 Retweets 658 658 likes
Follow
Tyson Luke Fury ‎@Tyson_Fury
No rush for my man @joeboxerparker age 24 & now 19/0/16ko u only get 1 career don't rush this young heavyweight, he showed his worth tonight
12:07 AM - 22 May 2016
217 217 Retweets 520 520 likes
Follow
mark richard hunt ✔ ‎@markhunt1974
Great fight @joeboxerparker all the way bruv tough tough fight
11:47 PM - 21 May 2016
21 21 Retweets 63 63 likes
Follow
Valerie Adams ✔ ‎@ValerieAdams84
.Congratulations @joeboxerparker ??
11:52 PM - 21 May 2016 · Skhirate, Royaume du Maroc, Royaume du Maroc
12 12 Retweets 66 66 likes
Follow
Aaron Smith ✔ ‎@A_Smith09
Yeah boy! @joeboxerparker next stop tile fight ✊?#TEAMPARKER
11:56 PM - 21 May 2016 · Thames-Coromandel, New Zealand, New Zealand
10 10 Retweets 56 56 likes
Follow
Israel Akuhata Dagg ✔ ‎@izzy_dagg
The man my uso chahhoooo @joeboxerparker
12:28 AM - 22 May 2016
Hi Shamrock
Yeah I can see that now. All good mate
I saw the fight again, and man was it close.  One fighter would win the first half, and then the other fighter would come on.  Here's how I saw it:

1) too close to call
2) JP
3) JP
4) too close
5) Takam
6) too close
7) too close
8) JP
9) Takam
10) JP
11) too close
12) too close

So that's 6 rounds that could have gone either way.  4 rounds were clearly Parkers, and 2 rounds clearly Takam.  So it was a matter of how you split up the close rounds.  So my reasoning about why Parker might have one more on the judges scorecards are that he was busier with his double jab.  But if the judges had scored it for Takam, it wouldn't have been the worst decision ever.  Here's the judges:

With an American referee and and a judging panel consisting of an American, a New Zealander and a French connection in Canada's Benoit Roussel, there could be no claims of a home town decision.

"The great thing for me was hearing all three judges voted for Joe so there's no controversy. Even the French judge, who we thought would vote for Takam, he had Joe winning the fight by four points."

Just to add one more thing: I think Parker looked better than before when I re-watched it.  I think the reason why he did so badly the first time was that I kept thinking he shouldn't get hit so flush, so every time he did, I kept seeing the mistakes.  And worried he was going to get KO'd.  But he hit Takam as much, and was more active.  He did OK, and showed grit and courage.  He'll be better for the fight, and will get better in time with KB.
One question about Joe

How do we think he would handle going into the lions den?

Casually walking out, winking to the cameras in manukau is one thing, but how would he be walking out to deafening boo's in front of 20,000 at the O2

I think joe needs more experience fighting in less friendly environments