Joseph Parker
The matchmaking has indeed been great for Joe - and the fact the Matchmaker actually comes on here to talk to the fans is tremendous.

So Stu - we greatly appreciate it, my friend.

And nice to hear that Joe is looking to fight in UK. A very good step.

-Kiwi
Yes, Stu, we all love for you to come on here and give us any inside info that you can without telling state secrets! Makes our comments as Parker fans that much more accurate.

My issue has to do with Joe being tired with maybe too many fights and training camps. This is what Joe and KB said in the article. I have NO issues with his fighting Bergman. He DOES need to know how to fight southpaws, and train for it. We would be aghast if Parker went in against Martin, or Fury, who often fights southpaw, without any experience on how to fight southpaws. Or Ortiz.

He did the same thing with Martz in training for taller opponents. To me, he's in a laboratory, learning his craft. He will fight for a title this year, or be in a position to fight for a title next year. All good. Once he gets an eliminator or mandatory, no more lab work!
(01-15-2016, 07:54 AM)tm7 Wrote: I disagree Craig. Duco aren't going into this fight saying "biggest test yet" because it's not, they know it and we know it, but that's not why he's been chosen. He is specifically trying to fight a southpaw for practice and looking at the active southpaws, there's nobody else who is good enough to warrant fighting, yet still affordable for the low budget Samoa fight.

Also, Hemi is not on JPs level. He has raw power and speed and is exciting to watch. But he's not a boxer yet and JP would make him look silly

But do you not think HemI Ahio would be 17-0 against the same opponents? Also after 17 fights and being ranked so high by the alphabets why is he fighting a tomato can in Samoa? Purely because hes a southpaw? What does that matter if hes gone in 90 seconds.
JP needs to fight southpaws... as Stu mentioned, there are a few on the ladder, and like all orthodox fighters, know one wants to fight them cause they are awkward (if you don't know what you're doing).

However, that said, JP will be fine against Bergman, this wont last more than a couple of rounds (we hope) and right hands left hooks will be on the menu from the first bell.

KB is building his fighters ability to beat all comers. There will be more southpaws, and this is a good start to see how he handles one.

I don't buy into the fact both KB and JP are talking things down about being tired, or a bad camp. That is just media hype in case things don't go as planned with this guy.
(01-15-2016, 03:01 PM)craigyid14 Wrote:
(01-15-2016, 07:54 AM)tm7 Wrote: I disagree Craig. Duco aren't going into this fight saying "biggest test yet" because it's not, they know it and we know it, but that's not why he's been chosen. He is specifically trying to fight a southpaw for practice and looking at the active southpaws, there's nobody else who is good enough to warrant fighting, yet still affordable for the low budget Samoa fight.

Also, Hemi is not on JPs level. He has raw power and speed and is exciting to watch. But he's not a boxer yet and JP would make him look silly

But do you not think HemI Ahio would be 17-0 against the same opponents? Also after 17 fights and being ranked so high by the alphabets why is he fighting a tomato can in Samoa? Purely because hes a southpaw? What does that matter if hes gone in 90 seconds.

At this stage of his career I think Kali Meehan would destroy Hemi.
(01-15-2016, 03:01 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: But do you not think HemI Ahio would be 17-0 against the same opponents? Also after 17 fights and being ranked so high by the alphabets why is he fighting a tomato can in Samoa? Purely because hes a southpaw? What does that matter if hes gone in 90 seconds.

JP has just turned 24. I think his matchmaking is fine, and even pretty adventurous compared to most young fighters who are still learning their trade.
Wilder's 17th fight was 6"0 cruiser Damon Reed
Wlad Klit's 17th fight was a decision over 5"11 Everett Martin, who finished with a 20-39-1 record
Tua's 17th was giving Cecil Coffee his 3rd loss in a row

If he's going to box for another decade, surely he can make his way up?

Hemi is actually 18 months older.
Hemi's 8th and 9th fights - Richard Tutaki (who JP fought in his 3rd fight) and Alapati A'asa
JP's 8th and 9th fights - Nascimento in Germany, and Brian Minto
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by comparing him to Hemi, but I hope they both do well.

Also, there was only a certain amount of money to offer a spaw to come to Samoa, so I think they did ok with Bergman who was their 2nd choice.

Team Parker have said he'll step up in April, so at least he'll have a spaw fight before he does. 
Even if it does only last a couple of rounds, at least he's had the experience of a camp preparing for a spaw.

I think the future is bright, and they're doing it the same way everyone does - maybe a little faster
Ok Goth, got to agree, as long as KB and Duco dont hype it up to be something else.
Just as well this fight is in Samoa, might not have gone down very well in NZ. Fans are expecting more than all these 1st round stoppages. Also, moving up in the divisions fighting TCs points to a rude awakening on the horizen for someone.
I'm not comparing Ahio with Parker, I just said he'd give him kittens. Parker has had a huge amount of backing. Bergman is not better than Coffee,Bigfoot or Read. I'm just saying don't dress it up, it is what it is, they're feeding him a tomato can in Samoa and charging 40 bucks. And I wouldn't fancy a 46 year old Meehan over Hemi, not with his history of Bambi legs.
(01-15-2016, 05:48 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I'm not comparing Ahio with Parker, I just said he'd give him kittens. Parker has had a huge amount of backing. Bergman is not better than Coffee,Bigfoot or Read. I'm just saying don't dress it up, it is what it is, they're feeding him a tomato can in Samoa and charging 40 bucks. And I wouldn't fancy a 46 year old Meehan over Hemi, not with his history of Bambi legs.
Hemi and Meehan are both with John McRae, maybe that's a fight that can be made? I'd like to see it.

Agree about the 40 bucks and that JP has been very lucky to have the promotional team he has. Agree Bergman is not better - just the same was my point.
Boxing is a business. Of course they're going to sell every fight
It isn't that he only has a round or two with a southpaw. It's that his whole training, sparring, mentality, has been southpaw oriented. I don't think Bergman will last a couple of rounds.

Don't understand the criticism about Duco. They ARE in the business of promoting and selling tickets. They have to hype the fight as long as they don't lie. I don't like the circus fights, or charging $40 per fight.