Joseph Parker
I honestly don't know how beating a WBO #13 gets you into the top 5. Yes, if Joseph won, it would be a good win, but to me it would only solidify his #8 ranking. KB also said that a top 5 ranking would make it harder to get opponents. I would think it would make it easier. Surely a guy out of the top 10 would want your top 5 ranking. It would line him up for a possible title shot in the future. At #8, I'm sure KB and Joseph would want to fight a top 5 guy, like Glazkov.

And this OHR business. Sure, Joseph gets hit from time to time, but he takes it well. The opponent is bound to hit you with something. Sure, guard against it, see it as a weakness, but don't dwell on it. I'm sure KB had sparring partners throw left hooks and OHR during sparring.
Parkers low left hand has been brought up in nearly every interview, often by KB or JP himself. It's encouraging when a fighter works hard on their weaknesses and takes pride in it. I'm impressed by Team Parkers attitude going into this fight
I hope JP sees the OHR coming, ducks down and in, and smashes Bowie with a right uppercut
Looks like from the TV3 footage that Parker first blocks it by putting his glove next to his head, and then throws a 1-2 combo. Williams caught him with the OHR in close as they were breaking. Parker needs to keep his distance and pick him apart. Tupou is not all that, but he's got some power. I think Parker has the edge, but I don't think it's an easy fight for him.
Bowie Tupou fighting for career against Joseph Parker, says trainer Jeff Fenech  

IAIN McGREGOR/FAIRFAX NZ

Bowie Tupou's boxing career will be shut out in the dark if he cannot beat Joseph Parker on Saturday night.

Jeff Fenech  believes Bowie Tupou's right hand is not Joseph Parker's biggest concern.

Fenech, a former world champion boxer-turned-trainer, predicts Tupou will be the first opponent Parker has faced that shares the Kiwi heavyweight's desire to win when they square off in Invercargill on Saturday night.

Talk of Parker needing to avoid Tupou's right hand has been everywhere in the pre-fight hype, but Fenech, who corners Tupou, believes his fighter's desperation is what makes him a boilover chance.

The Australian heavyweight works out with trainer Jeff Fenech at the Round 12 Boxing Gym in Christchurch.

A loss for Parker would be a massive stumbling block on what is being touted as "the road to the title" by his promoters but defeat for Tupou would be the end of the road.

"He'll step into the ring knowing that he is the underdog but also knowing that this is his last chance," Fenech said in Christchurch on Wednesday.

Tupou is ranked 13 with the WBO but that will plummet if he loses to Parker.

Fenech believes if Tupou  is beaten he can "plod along" with his career but big fights on the world stage  will be off the radar.

"I've told him there is really nothing after this if he loses to Parker, it's all or nothing."

Parkerhas shown a stack of potential in compiling a 14-0 professional record but Tupou is arguably  his first opponent  who can genuinely see some chance of victory -  albeit slim - rather than just a cheque at the end of the night.

"If he wins this fight he's right back up there again. He knows that and I know that, that's why we're here," Fenech said.

The Tongan-born heavyweight's hand speed is not even on the same chart as Parker  while comparisons around footwork are on a similar scale, but Fenech hopes the determination of a man fighting for his career will even up the ledger.

Tupou has everything to gain and in the eyes of most, little to lose.

The two most recognisable names on Tupou's 25-3 record are knockout loses to Bryant Jennings and Malik Scott.

Add in a loss to Parker and few, if any, promoters will want to know Tupou, unless it is to be a punching bag for an up and coming prospect.

His career has largely stalled since moving home to Australia from the United States in 2012 but Fenech says he will head into the Parker fight in career-best shape and with a better fight plan than he has had in previous fights.

"I've got him physically ready and I'll have him mentally ready."

Fenech keeps busy in life after boxing and said he would not be here if he did not think Tupou was going to be competitive.

"In the right frame of mind, if he believes in himself, he can knock anyone out," Fenech said.

"It's up to him now, he has to want to do it."
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/parker-and-tupou-clash-on-saturday-299686#more-299686
Joseph Parker trainer Kevin Barry comfortable with small town approach for boxer

Joseph Parker, Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua are regarded the future of heavyweight boxing.

While Wilder and Joshua are currently showcasing their skills in places like Las Vegas and London, Parker is preparing for his 15th professional fight in Invercargill - a city of just 50,000.

Parker's trainer Kevin Barry has no problems with the small town approach, however. The Kiwi heavyweight's last fight was in Palmerston North in June and is now eyeing New Zealand's highest-ever ranked bout against Australian Bowie Tupou on Saturday night.

"This fight is being shown live on ESPN, so it is great. It doesn't really matter where the fight is, it is about the event that is staged, this is going to be a great event," Barry said.

"This will probably be the biggest crowd so far in Joe's career, so it was important we had a decent fight, it was important we brought a good fight to Invercargill, and this fight has more meaning than any other fight in his career. There is a lot at stake."

READ MORE: Tupou fighting for his career down south

Barry said the enthusiasm in Palmerston North was special and he was expecting the same type of atmosphere in Invercargill.

"We had a tremendous response in Palmerston North, the crowd reaction there was bigger than anything we had before. I remember saying to Joe that night in the dressing room, 'you wait until we go to Invercargill, it's going to be even bigger down there.

"Joe and I are pumped to be here in Invercargill. When we started coming [to Invercargill], we talked many times with Dean [Lonergan] and David [Higgins] from Duco about the possibility of bringing a fight to Invercargill. So when it was actually sorted out, with the logistics and business, and we knew we were coming, we were very pleased."

Barry said the plan was to fight in Auckland and Hamilton in October and December before a historic fight in Samoa in January. Parker's trainer would like one further fight in New Zealand before then starting a campaign in the United States.

"Because of the international media coverage Joe is getting Dean and Dave were in New York last week meeting with ESPN, Showtime and HBO - there is a lot interest from HBO and Showtime in staging Joe in America - so we will definitely be fighting in America next year, whether it is the beginning of the year or the middle of the year I don't know," he said.

The target it seems for Team Parker is American Deontay Wilder, who is the current WBC champion.

"For me a far better path is Wilder rather than targeting [Wladimir] Klitschko. I like the possibility of us some time down the track - if Deontay Wilder is still wearing the bout - fighting him. There is a lot of things about his style that I think Joe measures up really well with."

- Stuff
I'm quite excited to see how Joe handles the first few rounds. See how his style stands up under pressure.
I'd be surprised if Wilder still has the belt by the time JP gets there. Povetkin is his mandatory, and AJ is currently ranked no. 2
Good work gothenaki, email that to KB