Joseph Parker
(01-06-2019, 02:00 PM)diehard Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 12:39 PM)shamrock Wrote: Craig, Lucas Brown might just do the fight in nz, the officiating here as we have reconed is sub par and just might deter him perhaps. Might have to be in Aust if it gets made at all.

Die, the one boy I had would fight dirty because he was also a street fighter. The other boys wouldnt be interested in learning it. A fighter in my opinion should be clean but wary of his adversary, if his adversary does it foul then the ref should deal with it. Not so in the hapless Flores case, he was robbed of any chance of an all things equal competition.

Browne met with Mr Higgins several months ago, so certainly a chance of the fight taking place in NZ.  I'm sure Browne would have some caveat's put in place to ensure a fair fight...

The problem with your scenario, Sham, is that while the ref "should" sort it out, they don't always do, as in the case of Parker/Flores.  If that happens, the victimised fighter has to take matters into his own hands.  Or maybe the trainer does.  After a second time, Flores (or his trainer) should have raised holy hell with Rebel.  I know you would have as a trainer!

To me, there's a difference between defending yourself from a dirty fighter so that it's not one-sided, and practicing being a dirty fighter in training, and then taking it into the ring without provocation.
Fighters just do it, look at big George Foreman throwing his lethal kidney shot his whole career. KB and Barry have to learn to grow better rapport with Reffs so they can relay concerns early. Parker was unfit against Whyte and not mentally ready for a dog fight. Bad prep and plan went out the window. Some big learning's came in that fight. 
Why did Joe Parker turn down Usyk, does anyone know?
(01-07-2019, 11:02 AM)shamrock Wrote: Why did Joe Parker turn down Usyk, does anyone know?

How did you know he did, Sham? Source? I heard at one point Usyk was going to fight AJ. Usyk needs to fight a couple of warm-up fights before jumping into the elite at heavy.
Team Parker said the risk/reward for Usyk didn't add up. I think probably because it's high risk and he's not ranked as a heavy.

Usyk will probably find it difficult to find anyone decent to fight for that reason. (Until he get the money fight against AJ)
I don't think Usyk would be great option, be a disaster for JP to lose and if he won he beat an overrated cruiser.
My picks for JP 2019 (opinion only)
Browne
Breazeale (for a interim belt)
A stay busy
Title shot
All pending on winning 1st
other poss options are
Ortiz
Chisora (i don't think JP gains from beating a Whyte victim and again tragic if he loses)
Whyte 2

Just me thinking
Good thoughts, Bart
(01-07-2019, 11:56 AM)diehard Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 11:02 AM)shamrock Wrote: Why did Joe Parker turn down Usyk, does anyone know?

How did you know he did, Sham?  Source?  I heard at one point Usyk was going to fight AJ.  Usyk needs to fight a couple of warm-up fights before jumping into the elite at heavy.

On Eastside Die. Usyk chalenged Miller and Parker and got turned down by both. Miller got bigger things to fry with maybe a title shot. However Mippy explains Joe's reticence to fight Usyk, a no win situation. Although you might consider that beating a unified cruiser champ might have its merits on the rankings.
Bart has a decent lineup, except Browne is done n dusted on the rankings and a win against him mightnt do much for Joe. But then Joe is sort of in the same place as Usyk is, no real reward with the risk ratio.
yeah Sham re Usyk
I feel if JP beats him the critics will just say oh well Usyk only a cruiserweight and obviously can't handle the bigger boys etc
If JP loses (and I think he would probably by pts) then Parker is dropped to journeyman status. someone to get rounds against.
Agree on Browne rankings wise but he still has a name and should be an easy fight to organise and promote = $$ and a good start to the year ( if he gets the KO i would expect)
Here are the rankings: https://fightnews.com/rankings-2. Parker is WBC #5 but he's not going any higher there. He needs to fight a couple of these no names in different alphabets. Browne is purely for the money, and it's a fight that can be made.
I'm not surprised Team Parker want nothing to do with Usyk, he is a master class boxer. He's not well known, and is seen by the casuals as 'just a cruiserweight'. A loss to him would be devastating, even though Usyk would beat most of the top 10 heavyweights with relative ease imo.

The risk/reward in that fight is terrible. I'd pick Usyk to beat Parker. The only guys that can beat him are the guys that are significantly taller than him.