Joseph Parker
Boxing: Battler Shawndell Winters confident of upset victory against Joseph Parker
27 Feb, 2020

Shawndell Winters, Joseph Parker's opponent and a man who describes himself as coming from the wrong side of the tracks in Chicago, says the New Zealand heavyweight doesn't qualify as his toughest challenge.

The pair will meet in the ring at the Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Dallas, on Sunday, and the 39-year-old said his tough upbringing and life struggles had prepared him well. Winters fought about 50 times as an amateur but didn't turn professional until his late 20s. Since then he has fought 13 times for 11 victories. Former world champion Parker is expected to win well.

"He's a good fighter," Winters said of Parker. "He's pretty durable. He's fought at the world class level for a bit so that says a lot about him. We've got to see who he is on Saturday night.

"This fight is relative to life for me. I've fought tougher opponents just in everyday life.

"I came up on the backside of the desert, if you will. No one gave me anything, that's why I'm appreciative of this opportunity."

The American is clearly a man of relatively few words, but he has a couple of good wins on his record against previously undefeated opponents he wasn't expected to beat and obviously hopes for a similar upset here in Texas. He also has the respect of Parker, against whom he stared down after today's press conference.

"I didn't come here to be a fan of Joseph Parker," Winters said during the conference. "It's actually really nice to meet him; that's a joke."

"He's confident," Parker said afterwards. "He's not here to just have a fight and get a paycheck. He's not that big but Evander Holyfield wasn't that big either."

Parker's reference to the former world heavyweight champion is significant because Winters is also a former cruiserweight.

"My first sport was football and I played college basketball," Winters said. "Boxing is the ultimate competitive sport. I used to get mad playing basketball if another player wasn't playing as hard as me. When I got into boxing it was perfect; there's no one to blame but you."

Parker will have a height and weight advantage over Winters, but the American's coach, Montell Griffin, said of his man's greatest attribute: "Believe it or not, his power - his power and his confidence. He might be a small heavyweight but he don't punch like a small heavyweight."

Winters, in Frisco with his two daughters, is preparing to welcome his five sons who will also be supporting him for what is easily the biggest boxing fight of his life.

His last fight was in November against previously unbeaten Polish prospect Sergiej Werwejko. Parker's last fight was in June – a stoppage victory against Alex Leapai.

"I don't necessarily base my confidence on that because every opponent is different," Winters said of his last win, a meritorious one. "You face things in life. I've gone into hostile territory, other people's backyards, and have taken a win out of the jaws of defeat. That's something I'm proud of. I work extremely hard. I've dedicated myself.

"In this sport, if history as taught us anything, it's that anybody can be hit and anybody can be hurt and anybody can be beat.

"I plan on making it cool for guys to take fights they aren't supposed to win. Back in the day it was about the best fighting the best. It wasn't about being protected … you just get in there and put your best against another man's best, and you live with the results."

Asked whether he had a message for Parker, he replied: "I don't really have a message for him. I just plan to get busy."

Joseph Parker's fight on Sunday against Shawndell Winters on the undercard of the Jesse Vargas v Mikey Garcia's welterweight world title fight will be broadcast live by Sky Arena. Parker's fight is expected to start at 2pm.

Patrick McKendry travelled to Dallas with assistance from Duco Events.
Parker's Manager To Wilder: Take Step-Aside, Allow Fury-Joshua
By Boxing Clever Published On Fri Feb 28, 2020, 02:00 AM EST

David Higgins, the manager for former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker, says Deontay Wilder should take some high step-aside money to allow the unification between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

Fury made a statement last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, when he stopped Wilder in the seventh round of their rematch to capture the WBC heavyweight crown.

Wilder has a contractual clause to forced an immediate trilogy fight - which he intends to do.

The handlers for Fury were hoping to face Joshua in a massive bout - but their hands are tied with Wilder forcing a third meeting in the summer.

Joshua will instead have to go in the direction of defending his WBO, IBF, IBO, WBA world titles against Kubrat Pulev on June 20.

There has been some talk that Saudi Arabia would love to secure a Fury-Joshua unification - which could mean a big step-aside deal for Wilder.

But it appears that Joshua and Fury will have to go in different bouts for the moment and hope they win their summer bouts for a potential year-end unification.

"Everyone wants to see it [Fury fight Joshua], no one wants to see Fury vs Wilder 3," Higgins told IFL TV.

"If Wilder forces that he’s being selfish. To Deontay Wilder - no one wants to see a third fight now between you and Fury. Don’t be selfish, let the world see Fury vs Joshua.

"They talk about paying you step-aside money. If the likes of Saudi Arabia chucked a few hundred million down, it could be your biggest ever payday for not even fighting, so there’s no excuses there.

"Then perhaps Deontay could fight the winner. The smartest thing to do a three-way deal where Fury vs Joshua happens next and then Wilder gets a shot back later. That way he gets paid step-aside money and then he gets a third fight eventually."
UK promoter Eddie Hearn eager to extend Joseph Parker's contract
DUNCAN JOHNSTONE in Frisco

Boxing's money man still sees a bright future for Kiwi heavyweight and wants to keep him on his books.
British boxing promoter Eddie Hearn wants to extend his deal with Joseph Parker, adamant the Kiwi is a major player in the heavyweight division and capable of winning another world title.

Parker takes on North American champion Shawndell Winters in Texas on Sunday (2pm NZT) in the second of a three-fight deal with Hearn's Matchroom Boxing.

If Parker does the business against Winters, it's expected Hearn and Parker's manager David Higgins will enter early negotiations for a fresh contract.

Joseph Parker still has plenty of star power in the eyes of British promoter Eddie Hearn.
"We will be looking to extend," Hearn confirmed.

"We want to be major players in the heavyweight division. Joseph Parker is a major player in the heavyweight division. He's very good, he's capable of being a world champion again.

Eddie Hearn and David Higgins are set to lock horns again to sort out Joseph Parker's future.
"I don't really tie fighters down to five year deals and stuff like that. If you want to work with us, you want to work with us.

"I like Joseph, he's very popular in the UK. I like Kevin Barry, I like David's madness. They are enjoyable to work with.

"Joseph is at a very important moment in his career where he needs the right opportunities. If David ever felt we couldn't provide those opportunities maybe he would bugger off. But it's important to have plans."

Hearn said he and Duco Boxing had cemented the foundations for their relationship with the 2018 world title fight in Cardiff against Anthony Joshua which was a pay-per-view knockout.

"We had a great partnership where everybody made a load of money. Joseph didn't get the result he wanted but he came back against Dillian Whyte and nearly had that won. He's not afraid to fight anyone and I just want to see Joseph get momentum."

These are hugely encouraging words for Parker and his fans from one of the major players in the game, especially with a Kiwi sporting public shaking their heads at a schedule that has seen the 28-year-old fight just twice in the last 19 months.

Eddie Hearn has warned Joseph Parker to be careful with the punching power of veteran Shawndell Winters.
Higgins indicated he would test the market before tying down Parker to Matchroom and said there were other options though they had enjoyed a great relationship with Hearn.

Matchroom would appear the sensible call given their dominance of the increasingly popular online broadcast market with DAZN and their links to the major TV players.

Parker having to withdraw from his highly anticipated fight with Dereck Chisora late last year because of a spider bite was described by Hearn as "fustrating, unavoidable and a kick in the nuts big time" because so much was happening in the division.

Things got a little bit twitchy when the American heavyweight eyed his Kiwi opponent in Texas.
The consequence was the position Parker finds himself in now, having to hit the reset button against the unheralded but wiley Winters.

"These big guys, it's almost like they are jumbo jets flying around the world and they are coming into land and if you miss your landing spot and your time you have to go back and circle again," Hearn offered as a clever analogy for the tricky match-making business.

Hearn also coughed up some big names as options for Parker if he beats Winters, indicating he'd like to get him back in action again as early as late May.

He pointed out that Parker's No 2 ranking with the WBO placed him to fight Ukrainian star Oleksandr Usyk for that title if it is vacated by a busy Anthony Joshua.

"But there are so many great fights for Joseph Parker in the heavyweight division, not just Usyk ... a Dillian Whyte rematch, an Andy Ruiz rematch, you've got Chisora, Alexander Povetkin, Luis Ortiz.

"He's in a great position, he just needs the momentum back. It only takes one good performance and one good knockout for people to say, 'Joseph Parker looked good, he's a threat to the division'. He has stepped off the radar a bit because of the inactivity."

Hearn felt that under the circumstances the fight against Winters was a good bout for Parker to get regain that momentum. He thinks a knockout is likely but didn't want to put pressure on Parker and warned that the American was "no journeyman" and was indeed dangerous.

"Joseph hasn't got to prove anything to me, he's a great fighter and I'm behind him every step of the way."

In explaining the choice of Winters he said finances dictated it because he had such a world-class card lined up already.

"It was mainly my fault because we had spent a load of money. The fact is we didn't have millions of dollars to bring in Povetkin or those kinds of guys because we didn't need that for this card. But we needed to get Joe out again.

"Winters is dangerous and I think Joseph has to be a little bit careful in this fight. Winters genuinely thinks he is going to knock Joseph out.

"That's the beauty of the heavyweight division. Just one moment and it's all over, you trade up with these guys and you get hit on the chin, it's going to be a problem. It's very easy for someone to go to sleep.

"I think this one is going to give Joseph the opportunity for a nice clean knockout ... but be careful."

AT A GLANCE

Joseph Parker v Shawndell Winters, heavyweight boxing

Where: Ford Centre, Frisco, Texas

When: Parker's ring walk starts at 2pm Sunday, live on Sky Arena

What's at stake: Plenty for Parker who eyes a second run at a world title. A huge opportunity for 39-year-old Winters to claim some fame

Records: Parker 26-2, Winters 13-2

Rounds boxed: Parker 160, Winters 46

KO percentage: Parker 71.43%, Winters 80%

Height: Parker 1.93m, Winters 1.88m

Expected weights: Parker 111kg, Winters 95kg

Stuff
Nice to read, hopefully after tomorrow eddie feels the same way
Man, they are really hyping this Winters. He's a cruiser with 2 losses. And Mr Higgins has been sending Duncan Johnstone to Texas to drum up stories, and business for PPV. The PPV should be $20 and not $40, or really for FREE.

I can go along with hyping the fight, as that's his job, and he does fantastic at marketing Parker, a fringe contender right now until he faces someone in the top 5. But $40 for this fight???
Garcia, Vargas, Yafai, Chocolatito make weight

Mikey Garcia 145.8 vs. Jessie Vargas 147
(WBC diamond welterweight title)

Kal Yafai 114.8 vs. Roman Gonzalez 114.6
(WBA super flyweight title)

Julio Cesar Martinez 111.4 vs. Jay Harris 111.6
(WBC flyweight title)

Joseph Parker 245.4 vs. Shawndell Winters 208
Israil Madrimov 153.2 vs. Charlie Navarro 153.2
(WBA super welterweight eliminator)
Diego Pacheco 167.4 vs. Oscar Riojas 167.4
Alexis Espino 165 vs. Delvecchio Savage 163.6
Leo Acevedo 153 vs. Dennis Knifechief 154.8
Jesse Rodriguez 111 vs. Marcos Sustaita 110.8
Venue: Ford Center, Frisco, Texas
Promoter: Matchroom
TV: DAZN
Yip agree on price way too high
A freebie for the loyal NZ public may have been a good business move
I would be more inclined to fork over 40-50 then to see JP v usyk etc
Just as an aside, why is Jessie Vargas, who is fighting Mickey Garcia as the headliner on the card, not in the top 15 in any alphabet in the welterweight division, or any division? He's only lost to Pacman and Bradley. https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/468475

I'd be interested to see if ANYBODY pays $40 for this. Parker is fighting a journeyman, and the headliner isn't even a title fight.
I'm not even sure I'll watch it free or not. The warriors preseason game is on at the same time, I'm more interested in that
(02-29-2020, 02:33 PM)mippy Wrote: I'm not even sure I'll watch it free or not. The warriors preseason game is on at the same time, I'm more interested in that

Me too! The Warriors trial game is on Channel 54 on SKY at 2PM.