Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split?
Kevin Barry accuses Anthony Joshua of disrespecting Joseph Parker

Kevin Barry is confident Joseph Parker has the skills to beat Anthony Joshua.

Joseph Parker's trainer has accused Anthony Joshua of already looking past the Kiwi heavyweight and warned about the dangers of that as their unification fight draws closer to reality.

A March 31 fight between WBO champion Parker and WBA and IBF champ Joshua could be confirmed as early as next week as negotiations between the two camps continue to make progress.

Both fighters are determined to be the boxer who rules the division and Joshua has openly talked about his desires to fight WBC champion Deontay Wilder and former champ Tyson Fury who finally seems to be on the comeback trail.

Anthony Joshua's desire to be unified champion has him constantly referencing other rivals to Joseph Parker.

Kevin Barry, Parker's veteran trainer, believes there is disrespect in Joshua's constant chat about other fighters when he has Parker in his headlights.

"Joshua is already talking about Tyson Fury and Wilder - this is laughable to me," Barry said in an article in British newspaper The Express.

"If he's really looking past Joseph Parker, he is in for a huge, rude awakening."

Barry also hit back at suggestions by Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn to Stuff that Parker could be overawed by the occasion with a crowd of close to 80,000 likely to be at a stadium venue for the fight with Cardiff's Principality Stadium the likely destination.

Hearn said Parker had never experienced anything like it compared to his fighter and suggested the Kiwi might "lose his head".

"Joseph Parker is the most relaxed fighter I have ever worked with as far as controlling his emotions," Barry said.

"Whether it's two, five, ten, or eighty thousand people, it is going to be the same guy that walks to the ring, the same routine that we've had for the last five years."

Barry couldn't resist finishing off with another reference to the respective chins of the fighters for a scrap that could be a toe-tot-toe affair fought in close quarters.

"I know this about heavyweight boxing: you need to be able to give a punch - and both these guys can give a punch - and you need to take a punch.

"Joseph Parker has never been down as an amateur, as a professional, or in sparring.

"I'd back him against any heavyweight in the world, and we are looking forward to backing him against Anthony Joshua."

- Stuff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - diehard - 01-06-2018, 10:57 AM